Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question Regarding Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10 Technical Preview

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Simpuhl

Simpuhl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:36 PM

Hello,

So basically my girlfriend has Windows 7, I decided to upgrade her computer to the Windows 10 Technical Preview to fool around with it a bit more.

My question is, once its released on July 29th, will I be able to get the FREE copy I was originally supposed to get or am I stuck with the technical preview version?

How does Microsoft know I used to have Windows 7?

Also,

She has the Chinese version, so when I upgraded it converted everything to Chinese and I had to change all the settings to English. Will I be able to download a FRESH english ISO and upgrade to that for free?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:38 PM

Hi Simpuhl :)

What a coincidence, someone just posted a picture on another forum that answers your question.

1310286747621430855.jpg

So yes, you'll be able to either upgrade to the official release of Windows 10 on July 29th, or download an .iso to perform a clean installation and use your product key to activate it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Simpuhl

Simpuhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:41 PM

Cool,

Thank you.

How will I receive my product key tho?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:42 PM

You simply have to use the product key that is already in use on the system. You can use ProduKey by NirSoft to grab it.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Simpuhl

Simpuhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:43 PM

You simply have to use the product key that is already in use on the system. You can use ProduKey by NirSoft to grab it.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Thank you so much!

#6 Simpuhl

Simpuhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:46 PM

Also, ill assume the one its currently showing for my Technical Preview won't be the one it uses? 

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:47 PM

Yes, it'll be the one it uses. You can compare your product key with the one they give everyone for the Windows 10 TP. If it doesn't match, then it's the product key you had on your Windows 7.

Windows 10 TP Product Key: 6P99N-YF42M-TPGBG-9VMJP-YKHCF

unite_blue.png

#8 Simpuhl

Simpuhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:48 PM

You are correct, it doesn't match. So I should write this down for when I do a clean install correct? 

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

Yes, write it down and keep it somewhere safe so you can use it during the clean installation.

unite_blue.png

#10 Simpuhl

Simpuhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:02 PM

Thank you very much

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:02 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#12 Simpuhl

Simpuhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

I had a final question regarding this.

If I get a clean ISO and I want to upgrade other desktops from 7 can I and just use there key?

Or do I have to upgrade them first? or do I have to at least "click reserve copy"? so that there key is usable in 7?

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:20 PM

The "Get Windows 10" app reservation feature have nothing to do with your product key. This is only used to download the upgrade on your system as soon as Windows 10 is released. You can get an .iso of Windows 10, create an installation media and install it on your other machines using their Windows 7 product keys.

unite_blue.png

#14 Simpuhl

Simpuhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

Ok awesome, the DISK won't automatically detect their key tho right? Ill always want to "write" it down first? I know some previous version of windows would grab it from the bios?

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:27 PM

Starting at Windows 8, the product keys are embedded in the BIOS so they are grabbed automatically during a reinstallation. You can use ProduKey by NirSoft (that I linked above) to grab these product keys.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users