Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent Internet dropouts

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:50 PM

I am experiencing frequent dropouts to my connection. I have already changed my DNS server to Google's and changed the broadcast frequency to the fastest tested one (which did not help). However, I am still experiencing this. As a result, pages take forever to load, Google Maps is blurry 80% of the time, and there's no 3D in Google Earth.

There is only a laptop, my low traffic web server, and my PC connected to the network.

In fact, before I could post this, I had to reconnect to the network because of the dropouts.

EDIT #2: The dropouts are still growing in frequency, now they are almost every minute or so!

EDIT #3: I know you guys wouldn't be surprised to hear this, but my ISP's AT&T. 

Edited by gigapouch, 27 June 2015 - 09:00 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:14 AM

Have you tried restarting your modem >router >PC?
Also try resetting the modem (please post make and model of modem/router for exact instructions)
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:30 AM

Yep, I've tried that too. I even reinstalled the driver for my wifi dongle.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:43 PM

Try using a different WiFi dongle, if you can get ahold of one.

Have you tried connecting using an Ethernet cable? If that resolves the problem, then it's not the router, it's your WiFi connection.

#5 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:44 PM

Have you tried connecting using an Ethernet cable? If that resolves the problem, then it's not the router, it's your WiFi connection.

I can't connect using Ethernet because the router is in a different room and I have a desktop computer, so I have to disconnect and reconnect all the cables, twice.

Today, actually, I am not experiencing any dropouts yet, but I will edit this post if it still happens.

EDIT: It's going on again.

Edited by gigapouch, 28 June 2015 - 06:20 PM.

#6 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:51 PM

What about:

sflatechguy:

Perhaps the wifi is not playing well.

Have you tried connecting any other wireless device (like laptops, phones, tabs etc) to the network and surf?

What about the devices connected via Ethernet cable? Are they too expereincing same problem?

Please keep in mind that applications using heavy network resources include torrent clients, download managers, online backups etc...

You can figureout them at 'network' tab of 'Resource and performance monitor' (Start > Run > resmon.exe )

Keep us updated... :)

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#7 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

What about:

sflatechguy:

Perhaps the wifi is not playing well.

Have you tried connecting any other wireless device (like laptops, phones, tabs etc) to the network and surf?

What about the devices connected via Ethernet cable? Are they too expereincing same problem?

Please keep in mind that applications using heavy network resources include torrent clients, download managers, online backups etc...

You can figureout them at 'network' tab of 'Resource and performance monitor' (Start > Run > resmon.exe )

Keep us updated... :)

No, there's only a low traffic web server and a wireless laptop in my house other than my PC. The laptop isn't used for network heavy stuff. I don't think any other devices are having this issue.

#8 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:18 PM

This issue is really annoying because I'm trying to have a LAN party playtime but the Internet keeps dropping out.

Edited by gigapouch, 30 June 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:27 PM

Is the issue affecting everyone in the LAN party, or just you?

And when you say "low traffic" web server, how would you define "low"?

#10 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

It's not really a LAN party, but a playtime with my family. It's affecting everyone because my PC's Internet and network connection is dropping out.

By low traffic, I mean about 10 views a day at the most, and they are looking at a mostly text, couple images, and a pinch of CSS. It's a Raspberry Pi.

And would this be a good dongle to try instead?

Edited by gigapouch, 30 June 2015 - 06:51 PM.

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:44 PM

That would qualify as low-traffic.

So it's just the PC that is dropping the connection? Is the laptop able to hold a connection during the LAN party? If so, I'd say it's either the dongle, or there is something interfering with the WiFi between the router and the PC. You said the router and the PC are in separate rooms. How far apart are they? Is there anything nearby, like a microwave, a cordless phone or any other electronic equipment, that might interfere with the signal?

Again, I'd start with another dongle if you can find one to borrow. See if that improves things.

#12 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:49 PM

That would qualify as low-traffic.

So it's just the PC that is dropping the connection? Is the laptop able to hold a connection during the LAN party? If so, I'd say it's either the dongle, or there is something interfering with the WiFi between the router and the PC. You said the router and the PC are in separate rooms. How far apart are they? Is there anything nearby, like a microwave, a cordless phone or any other electronic equipment, that might interfere with the signal?

Again, I'd start with another dongle if you can find one to borrow. See if that improves things.

Yes, the laptop is able to hold a connection. The router is in the next-door room, with merely a single wall (plus 2 sets of closet doors) separating my computer with it. The only other electronic equipment upstairs besides the laptop is an old phone (not cordless) from the late 90s that is located near the router. I guess I might have to try a new dongle or antenna. 

#13 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:51 PM

Then it's probably the dongle, or something is interfering with the signal. Is the router in a closet or out in the open?

#14 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:57 PM

It's next to a bed, but it's in the open.

#15 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:01 PM

Hmm. Again, try replacing the dongle with another, or with a WiFi card. The fact that the laptop works fine indicates it's something with the PC's WiFi connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users