Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about AdwCleaner & HitmanPro

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Simpuhl

Simpuhl

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

So if I am running these two programs, at the very end of the scan it asks me to reboot...

Sometimes I don't want to reboot right away so I just leave it there... when I am DONE, since I am using "teamviewer" i like to have teamviewer reboot for me so that it automatically reconnects. 

My question is, if I don't click OK, and instead I restart via another method... will those programs still perform there tasks to remove the rest of the infections? or by not clicking ok it fails do that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:39 PM

Hi Simpuhl :)

In my experience with these kind of programs, you don't need to click on "Ok" for them to perform their job on restart. A scheduled task or RunOnce startup entry is created in the Registry at the end of the cleaning process so that when the computer restarts, any instructions that needs to be executed are processed. With AdwCleaner and HitmanPro, you cannot really see what files, entries, etc. requires a restart. You would have to check which detected files and entries are being deleted, and which ones are still present.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Simpuhl

Simpuhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:42 PM

I ran AdwCleaner and left the ok box open and then ran HitmanPro and again left the ok box open and restarted with teamviewer and I honestly don't think either task ran after the reboot because I got no log like it usually does after clicking ok. I am going to investigate it a little more.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:43 PM

Was there a "clean" log created in C:\AdwCleaner after the restart?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Simpuhl

Simpuhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:53 PM

Actually i didnt check... but normally it just "pops up"... next time I clean a computer ill test it or when I have more time ill test it on myself. 

Thanks for the reply

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:55 PM

If you want, I could test it inside a VM and let you know how it goes? :)

unite_blue.png

#7 Simpuhl

Simpuhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:57 PM

Sure, I am just not in the position to test right now but that would be awesome. Maybe try testing them 1 at a time and then both at the same time

I doubt adwcleaner will work because when I ran the scan it found some stuff and said it would remove everything else at reboot and when I didnt see the log I just did another scan and it did find stuff agian

#8 Simpuhl

Simpuhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:36 AM

So I tried it again with AdwCleaner and it did create a log for scanning and cleaning but how do I know if it did the cleaning it needed the reboot for?

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,597 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:46 PM

These programs (and others) are designed to be restarted immediately after running a scan in order to complete the malware removal process. That is why you are asked to reboot. Deviating from the proper instructions could cause interference and removal may not work as the developer intended.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,200 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:43 PM

I guess this is a question Xplode could answer to if he feels like it (would be nice) :P I know he's busy so he might not see the thread before a while.

unite_blue.png

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,597 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

Xplode, like most other specialized fix tool developers, provides detailed information about how the tool works and how it is intended to run in private discussion areas. When there are alternative ways to use a tool, that information is provided as well. If not, then the tool needs to be run as directed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 Simpuhl

Simpuhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •