Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is 'Windows Defender' needed in Vista 64 bits

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:42 PM

How does that protect the lappy differently to an Anti Virus, or more than a good AV?

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to these things...

It's recently been factory restored, so much so, that "Windows" has umpteen updates downloading as I type (this is a different lappy... incorrigible 8.1!!)

Anyway, for the previous 8+ years, my Vista ran beautifully with AVG Free! AV  (after the initial Norton trial ended)  

I'd really appreciate some info regarding the BEST free AV programs, and, if possible, why some people prefer to pay a yearly subscription for say, Norton, or MacAfee?

Thanks y'all! (and if Brainy's around I'd LURVE your advice/opinion/experiences etc xox)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

Anyone????? 

Or is this in the wrong place...?

EDIT
Moved to firewalls

Edited by boopme, 28 June 2015 - 05:52 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:11 PM

Windows Defender in Windows 7/Vista is an anti-spyware tool intended to supplement your anti-virus program. Windows Defender on Windows 8 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows Defender 8 provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates.

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. Please read:Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:Here are links to polls about this very subject:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:14 PM

I'd really appreciate some info regarding the BEST free AV programs, and, if possible, why some people prefer to pay a yearly subscription for say, Norton, or MacAfee?

I would think that it's more because these AVs came with the machine when it is purchased (OEM software) and most non-savvy people are too lazy to change their AV. There may be people that genuinely like them though.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:19 PM

Yes...many OEM manufacturers provide trial versions of anti-virus programs preinstalled on computers as part of their software package. It is not uncommon for a computer manufacturer to partner or enter into an agreement with a well known anti-virus vendor (Norton, McAfee, etc) to include their product as part of a marketing strategy for generating revenue. Computer advertisements that say they include anti-virus protection is a selling point for many buyers. When the trial period expires, the user will have to either remove the software or purchase the full version in order to keep using the anti-virus software. Since most folks know very little about computer security and anti-virus software, many tend to keep whatever came with their system when they first purchased it. Thus, the anti-virus vendor recaps the cost of providing the trial version for free.

#6 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:44 PM

Windows Defender in Windows 7/Vista is an anti-spyware tool intended to supplement your anti-virus program. Windows Defender on Windows 8 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows Defender 8 provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates.

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. Please read:

Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members: Here are links to polls about this very subject:

Thanks for that comprehensive info quietman.. I've saved the email notification so I can investigate at my leisure!

Have got Avira on the Vista atm and seems to be running well!

So Firewall and Defender are the same thing???

Sorry if I sound 'blonde'... but think my brain has seized... lol

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:23 AM

Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are two different things :)

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:26 AM

Since you have questions about using a firewall, you may want to read:For information about Windows Firewall, please read this topic.

#9 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:20 PM

Since you have questions about using a firewall, you may want to read:

For information about Windows Firewall, please read this topic.

thanks quietman, have bookmarked all but the top link, as that's the major topics here... ?? so not sure which 1 to read..

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:23 PM

The "Understand and Using Firewalls" link from quietman isn't good (they got changed but he didn't update his in his reply). Here's the one he meant to link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-and-using-firewalls/

And I suggest you to read all of them if you want to understand :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

Thanks, Aura! have bookmarked it also!! Looks as if I'll be reading a LOT in the next few days!

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:10 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:43 PM

thanks quietman, have bookmarked all but the top link, as that's the major topics here... ?? so not sure which 1 to read..

The url address in the first link changed with our last board update. It has been fixed.

It's a good idea to read them all so happy reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users