Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retrospect 6 for XP and Win98, do you use it?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

Just curious how many folks here use Retrospect 6.5 for XP or Win98.  The latter is more in need of Retrospect, as cloning isn't possible so far as I know, with Win98 (the RAM requirements of cloning programs are too high).  But I've always had good experience with using Retrospect's 'Duplicate' feature, so to have a live total copy of the files.  Versus, an encoded backup.  Been doing it that way for years.

If you're familiar with it, maybe you want to post your experiences here for other Win98 lovers to see.  If you're not, well maybe you'll want to be.  Usually you can find a new or open box or used copy for sale in Amazon.  I believe one purchase covers three machines.

For what its worth, a big problem in copying is the type of drive you can copy to.  I use old WD and Seagate wheel drives (FAT32 usb1.1). You can however use Zip or Imation, but then you'll have to attend the copying, if you'll need more than one of those disks.  Backup or live Duplicate can be scheduled, and if you've got the drive hooked up, then it can be unattended.  Since most original drives for these machines were 6GB and less, you can maybe use a stick, but I've not had success with that yet.

Absent that, I'm sure there's something in Linux, but again what's the minimum RAM requirement?  That, I don't know.  Do you?

Edited by brainout, 27 June 2015 - 05:14 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users