Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware compatibility on new pc build

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Yazzafox

Yazzafox

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:41 PM

Heya!

I've decided to challenge myself to building a pc from scratch. I've got no experience, besides a couple of cpu and ram upgrades, and one terrifying bios update that left me considering therapy.

I'm not planning on going gung-ho with a build that would make Tianhe-2 look like a food mixer, nor do I fancy flashing the cash that could otherwise cover a mortgage. Right now, I just want to successfully build something that functions, and allows me to play some rather demanding games without the fps moving so slow that graphics start moving backwards.

My idea of a first build is looking alright on paper, but I'm still concerned that something isn't going to be compatible with something else, or that I'm going to fry something with an overpowered/underpowered thingymajig.

I've listed the parts that I've got my eyes on below, but nothing has been purchased yet.

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 evo 2.0

Processor:     AMD FX 6300

Cooler:          AMD stock copper 125w

Graphics:      ATI Radeon HD 6770 1gb

Memory:        8gb pc-14900 1866mhz DDR3 (2x4gb)

Power:          Powercool 750w ATX power supply

Case Fans    92mm rear

Storage:        Sata 1tb Hard Drive

Case/Body:   Aerocool v3x Black Edition ATX

If there's something that you think may not work, or some kind of major "bottleneck" that'll make it about as effective as a Binatone TV Master, I would really appreciate your input. My main concern is the fans and coolers... My only experience with them is when a cpu heatsink just randomly "fell off" one day, and made me use some really bad words.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:08 AM

Not knowing the intended use for this project makes it tough but here's my thoughts.

The case with only a 92mm fan may not cool enough if the FX 6300 is under a lot of load when combined with using the stock CPU cooler.

Stock cooler is fine when the case has good air flow as long as ambient room temps are not crazy high.

With only a 150mm CPU cooler clearance the case limits (somewhat) the style of after market HS. Probably limiting you to down draft type coolers which work good for stock settings (no over clocking).

The down side is that small fans tend to create more noise. What I like to do with coolers is go as big as possible with larger fans which can than run less rpms for normal running and when connected with PWM fan header will handle higher temps under load and keep noise levels more in check.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 works really nice this way but requires 159mm clearance which would mean another choice for the case.

I've built a few setups using the FX6300 and hyper 212 but used a Corsair Carbide 330R case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139053 which runs very quiet and handles cooling very well.

It is a little pricey but worth every penny depending on your needs (and budget).

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#3 Yazzafox

Yazzafox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:21 AM

Thank you, Sandman. That's EXACTLY the type of feedback I was looking for!

That Corsair Carbide 330R case is one I haven't crossed before. I think that might be my new case... The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo has already replaced the stock fan on my list.

Overclocking is something I've never even considered, so stock settings will definitely be the norm.

By way of performance needs, I've selected the components based on the minimum comfortable requirements for running Far Cry 3, since that game made my partners current pc feel like it had all the prospects of a Sinclair C5.

My MAIN goal with this build is just to get it working, and if it doesn't perform as well as I'd hope, I could sell it on to compensate some cost and start on something more powerful. This time around is more of a trial run than something that MUST be spot on, first time.

I really do appreciate your views, Sandman. Your experience is invaluable to me.

#4 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

Uhm... the stock cooler is more than fine for the CPU, as it has a TDP of 125W while the CPU has a TDP of 95 watts and was also designed to cool the CPU. Also change that power supply to something that won't blow up. And I'd change the GPU to an R9 270 if you could.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270 2GB TurboDuo Video Card  (£113.81 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£36.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £150.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-02 18:07 BST+0100

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#5 Yazzafox

Yazzafox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the tips, TheN00bBuilder! I'll definitely be considering the R9 270 GPU... Now I'm curious though. What do you know about the Powercool 750w PSU that I don't? Am I going to have to update my house insurance before I use that?  :whistle: 

#6 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

What do you know about the Powercool 750w PSU that I don't? Am I going to have to update my house insurance before I use that?  :whistle: 

It's just that PowerColor isn't the most trusted company ever for building quality products, and the PSU is not something you skimp quality on because if it dies- there is a chance it will fry everything connected to it and then all your components are broken because of one janky part. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#7 Yazzafox

Yazzafox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:14 AM

Thanks, SEANIA. You guys have been awesome. I'm feeling a lot more confident about this now. I owe a lot more to you than you know.  :bandana:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users