Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gmail two fcator login change to sms code

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:02 PM

Has anyone else noticed this:

If you use two factor authentication on your gmail login, with the setting to have the code sent by sms text, did you see that in the last few days the codes have switched from the form "Your Google verification code is XXXXXX" to "G-xxxxxx is your Google verification code"?

Has this happened to others or just me?

The screen at which you enter your code has also changed, as before it appears after you have input your password and before you get to your inbox, it now looks a little "fancier" in style and the box already has "G-" filled into it, just waiting for you to type the numbers.

Moderators: could you please change the title so it is spelt correctly, I didn't notice the error in my spelling of factor until I had already hit the button to start this thread, sorry. As far as I know a normal user cannot edit the titles of threads they have started. Thanks.

Edited by rp88, 27 June 2015 - 04:04 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:08 PM

This is most likely because Google changed the "My Account Security" lately. Didn't notice the pop-up when you go on Google's website now?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/01/google-privacy-security-hub/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:26 PM

Stranegly this change to the verification code has only happened once to me now. It happened when I logged into my account a few days back but since then I have had the normal text and screen every time. This is very creepy.

I do notice that pop-up on google but have been noticing it since a while before this weird business with gmail's verification codes began.

And I did get the new terms and conditions screen upon login recently, but that was also a while before this change to the verification codes.

Edited by rp88, 28 June 2015 - 03:26 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:05 PM

I can try to mess around my own settings and see how it goes. But I use GAuth for code validation and not SMS.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for the offer aura, tell me if you notice it. As I said it nly happened to me once, and only on one of my accounts, and only on one of the times I logged into it, all the codes have been the normal old type before and since this one incident. I have not noticed any logins to my account at times or places which were not my own logins, so if this was some kind of attack or something then it hasn't been used in any attempts to break into my account.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:39 AM

I doubt it was an attack. I rarely pay attention to these kind of things since I know it can happen randomly when there's a bug or glitch that occurs.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users