Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery after Windows folder corruption

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:10 PM

I have a PC, running Windows XP Pro (SP3).  A cable to the hard drive started smoking, and melted the connector.  I replaced the power supply and the cable.  The data on the hard drive was okay, but it would not boot from the hard drive.  In trying to view the Windows folder, I was told it was corrupted.

With the problem hard drive plugged into a different PC (running the same OS), that PC decided to run chkdisk on the problem drive.  It ran for about 10 minutes, not a very thorough version of the things chkdisk can do.  But afterwards, it boots fine.  Windows seems to work fine.

Question:  should I run anything else to make sure Windows is okay on this hard drive?  A more thorough version of chkdisk?  Or diagnostic tools from Western Digital (which made the hard drive)?

Thanks,

Roger

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2015 - 07:22 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:27 PM

Roger,

I would recommend running the WD diagnostic for your HD. After that I'd try chkdsk/r again. All is not well and you need to narrow down the possible causes.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:51 PM

Did you boot from the hdd while it was installed in the other computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:18 PM

Dick, Thanks, I'll do the diagnostics and chkdisk when I have a chance (the PC is little used and I have several other major deadlines right now).

dc3 -- Yes, I booted it while it was installed in the other PC (until I got the screen where Windows wanted me to activate it again, and I stopped there).  And then I reinstalled it in the original PC, where it's booted up several times.

Roger

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

Bad move.

When you take a hdd with a Windows operating system installed from the computer it was originally installed on and install it in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here.

Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer or installed with a new motherboard, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

In Windows 7 and 8/8.1 there is a command that can be used in the elevated command prompt which generalizes the hdd.  This allows the hdd to be moved to another motherboard without the inherent dangers in previous operating systems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users