Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't change username in Windows 7 HP?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 flycaster

flycaster

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

I am in desparate need of changing my two word username (not computer's name) to a one word username.  However, all tutorials I have seen so far, indicate that one has to first find "local users and groups" within "computer management."  But, as you know (and i found out after a while of T&E,) this doesn't exist in Window7 HP.  So, how do I make the change?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:31 PM

The following is a direct quote from the Microsoft Community.

You cannot change a user account by just changing the name. Just changing the name will make a cosmetic change only and not affect the underlying files/folders in the profile.

1. From an account with administrative privileges, go to Control Panel>User Accounts and create the new Standard user account named the way you want and at least one extra Administrator account. Call the latter "CompAdmin" or "Tech" or the like.
2. Log into the new Standard user account once so the profile files/folders are created and then log into CompAdmin.
3. Now go to Control Panel>System>Advanced>User Profiles>Settings
4. You will see where you can copy user accounts. Copy the old account to the new one from there. Use the Browse to select your new account (C:\Users\newaccount).
5. Log into the new correctly named account and make sure all your stuff is there and that it works the way you want. When you are satisfied, you can log out and into CompAdmin and delete the old user account from Control Panel>User Accounts.

If you wish to log into your new, corrected account automatically, do this:

Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if there is no password (null).

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

I have found this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/rename-administrator-account-in-windows/ as a possible way of changing my username (BTW, my present username is listed as the administrator).  Could you comment on which would be easier to do (and less of a chance of screwing up)?

Edited by hamluis, 01 July 2015 - 11:08 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:50 PM

The Bleeping Computer tutorial has pictures which some people find helps.  The way the tutorial is laid out it may be easier for you to follow.

Edit:  It is not necessary to quote my posts.

Edited by dc3, 27 June 2015 - 01:51 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:23 PM

Thanks...

#6 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:51 PM

I created a new user account (standard) while in my admin acct.  Logged off the admin acct and logged onto the new user acct.  However, I got the following error message:

User Profile Services service failed to log on

User profile can not be loaded

I had seen some tutorials on the Windows 7 forum, but they looked rather complicated.  So now I'm thinking that maybe it would be easier to use Bleeping Computer's tutorial:  Method 4: Rename the Administrator account using Renameuser.exe, and just delete the non-loading username.  As I'm mucking through all this, I am learning some things and one is that just changing user names is not enough as profile folders have to be changed also.  So, lt me ask, if I use this method to change my Admin acct, will the Renameuser.exe take care of everything?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:44 PM

Go to the start menu and type in services in the search programs and files box.

This will appear above the search box, right click on it and select Run as administrator.

When Services opens scroll down to User Profile Service and right click on it.

Under Startup type click on Manual.

Under Service status click on Start.

#8 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:52 PM

Things just don't seem to be working right, but I do very much appreciate your hanging in there with me.  Here's what's happening:

Entering Services. brings up three possibiliites:

1.  Compond Services which I didn't touch

2.  Services, which when right clicked didn't have Open as Admin, but did have take ownership.  I opened it as I was the admin and got to Services with its list of files.  I right clicked User Profile Service and there was no Startup in the dropdown menu.  The menu did contain: start, pause, resume, restart, all tasks (same stuff that was on the menu), refresh, properties, help, but no sign of Startup.  BTW, this file's status=started, startup type=automatic, and log on as=local service

3.  Services.exe which I did right click and chose run as admin, and nothing at all appeared to happen...nothing.

Other than a bullet to the head (LOL), what's next?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:20 AM

The cable company we use for an ISP was sabotaged Monday night.  I was not able to get back online until this morning.

In the Startup Menu there is a box titled Search programs and files.

start%20menu_zpsip41l2bn.png

This is where you need to type services.  Immediately after typing this in you will see Programs, Services will be the first option directly under it.  Right click on Services and select Run as administrator from the menu which opens.  Services should now open.  From here, follow the instruction in post #7.

#10 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:32 AM

Your instructions in #9 were the exact instructions that I followed and reported on in #8; nonetheless, I repeated with the same results.  Of particular note is that when I right click User Profile Services, the dropdown does not contain Run As Administrator, but does have take ownership.  I'm thinking that this is the case as I am the administrator.  I didn't take ownership (whcih I can if so directed), but did select Properties.  And in Properties (with tabs: General. Log On, Recovery, Dependencies), the General tab had a Startup Type field that allowed for a change from Automatic (the present setting) to Manual...however I went no further.  Next?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

You select Run as administrator by right clicking on Services which is under Programs as seen in the image below.  The Service you should right click on is outlined in red under Programs.

Attached File  services.png   1.5MB   0 downloads

If you do it in this order you will be running Services as an administrator.

Edited by dc3, 01 July 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#12 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:56 AM

Perhaps we are running into a semantic problem?  The Services that you are directing me to right click on is the Services that I am right clicking on.  But when the dropdown appears, there is no Run as Administrator to click on. Or, are you saying that by merely right clicking on the correct Services is clicking on as administrator?

Edited by flycaster, 01 July 2015 - 10:56 AM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

In the image I post you can see Programs, Services is outlined in red directly below it.  This is what you need to right click on, not any of others.

The menu that opens should look like the image below.

Attached File  run as admin.png   441.36KB   0 downloads

#14 flycaster

flycaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:44 AM

Although your right clicked Services dropdown does contain run as admin, you can see that mine doesn't:

Services.jpg

BTW, I do have standard user (without a PW) on my computer.  However, I couldn't hookup via wifi to that one either.  The camera's response was incorrect PW or username.  I'm 100% certain that I used the right username, but didn't put in any PW into the camera's username field because I never gave this user a PW.

Edited by flycaster, 01 July 2015 - 11:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users