Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tablet speed inconstancy

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chris030

Chris030

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:10 PM

Hello,

I own a Nexus 7 (32GB) 1st generation and I primarily use it for research, news, reading, emails, videos, little bit gaming, etc.

My tablet runs on Android-Version 5.1.1 and is not rooted.

I once did a factory reset and just let the important apps be on the tablet (also a good way to get rid of many apps ^^).

There are times where my tablet runs fast and smooth and other times where it just takes a while before reacting, loading, ...

Is my tablet getting old? Are there too many apps? Or maybe too much at the same time (although I only use up to 2 apps simultanously..)?

Maybe you guys know why this is?

Also the battery decreases faster and the loading times increased. I suppose it's just the battery life?

Hope you can help me :)

Cheers,

Chris030

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

How long have you had it? I've had my tablet for almost three years and I am planning to get a new one very soon. All the things you mention are factors and maybe it's time to upgrade.

#3 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:55 AM

I have it for 2.5 years now.

So these are all age-related because of it's hardware becoming outdated?

Nothing can be done to it? I mean, except for that problem, it still runs pretty nice compared to some others.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:27 PM

These things aren't designed to last forever. The battery wears out and that's not worth replacing. And chances are good you have an old version of Android and it's not getting upgraded. That's what has happened to mine and I am looking at getting a new tablet. 

#5 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:04 AM

Yeah, everything has an end..

Thanks for your help!

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:01 PM

Seems like you're not alone in seeing performance issues. http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2012/450499-would-you-say-1st-gen-nexus-7-still-good-tablet.html

Just as a matter of reference, have you noticed that apps are getting larger and more bloated. Even ones that have been around a while and updated. They just take longer to load and perform.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:14 PM

FYI, today I bought an Acer Iconia 8 on sale at Best Buy for $150. It was a Canada Week sale. It normally sells on the Acer website for $190. That's about what I wanted to spend. 8" is the smallest I would consider. Most of the cheaper generic tablets are cheap for a reason. And once you start considering tablets for over 200 bucks, you might as well start looking at netbooks. I use the tablet mostly for Twitter so this is just right for me.

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,618 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:21 PM

It might just be your Nexus, but you might want to try a task manager.  I've had good luck with Advanced Task Manager https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.taskmanager&hl=en What I like about it is that it will notify you when an app is lagging your CPU.  You can also use Boost to temporarily stop apps running in the background.  Bloated apps, as Animal has pointed out, can be the culprit--in my case two or three commonly slow down my tablet, the rest are fine most of the time.  Plus you can kill apps that you suspect are causing the problem.  Watching a lot of videos also might be what is slowing your tablet down.  In the Android Central topic I see where some complain of slowness where others don't--could just be a matter of which apps are being used and how much.

I have an old Acer Iconia A100 that I bought as a refurb in 2012 and use it primarily as a music player with 2.1 speakers from Altec Lansing plugged in.  Plus ereading, light games and a few other apps like Facebook.  I don't need the latest and greatest--as long as Live 365 and Spotify play on ICS I'm going to hang on to it.  I recently found out that they aren't that hard to repair, either.  I had installed the game app Hill Climb Racer--man, is that fun!!--but it caused me to get too rough and I trashed the touchscreen.  I was able to fix it and about the same time, my mother, who used another A100 (used), primarily as an ereader had a problem with the volume keys getting stuck, which caused her books to scroll to the end and continually opened apps and just was out of control.  I believe, since the volume keys have an underlying function that can bring up things like the bootloader in combination with other buttons, the weak springs in the volume control was the culprit and it didn't take much to replace the small circuitboard and bit of assembly that went with it.  So far so good.

But whatever you decide I know you will do what's right for you.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#9 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:18 AM

Usually my tablet slows down when it starts (getting all the notifications at the same time and stuff) and when the battery is getting low (under 15%).

I removed some more apps that I don't use much or at all and seems to work better.

Yeah, it depends on the app. I once had an app that slowed down my tablet. I just got rid of it and took a similar one.

Thanks for the advice with the Task Manager, I'll take a look :)

Any suggestions to improve the booting speed?

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:04 PM

Any suggestions to improve the booting speed?

You could look into one of the several well respected start up manager apps on Google Play. Be Very Very Very careful with what you limit during start up. Make sure not to disable a critical system app. Or you may not be able to boot/startup at all.

One such app I've used before and like well is All-In-One Toolbox (Cleaner). It has a lot of features. I don't use all of them. But the ones I do use, work well for me. I also paid for the app to get rid of ads, which annoy me no end. But by no means is it the only app of it's type to manage startup/boot performance. Find one that works best for you. AIO Toolbox is also a task manager so you may get more bang out of one app.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

Be Very Very Very careful with what you limit during start up. Make sure not to disable a critical system app. Or you may not be able to boot/startup at all.

Yeah, that's what I fear.. As I don't know much about it, there is surely a list of apps you should not disable. Do you know of such thing?

One such app I've used before and like well is All-In-One Toolbox (Cleaner). It has a lot of features. I don't use all of them. But the ones I do use, work well for me. I also paid for the app to get rid of ads, which annoy me no end. But by no means is it the only app of it's type to manage startup/boot performance. Find one that works best for you. AIO Toolbox is also a task manager so you may get more bang out of one app.

That's cool! Getting several flies with one bang! I'll look onto that as well!

Edited by Chris030, 01 July 2015 - 04:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users