Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot update CamCorder USB mass storage driver

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:49 AM

I am trying to connect a Panasonic DVD CamCorder I have not used for some years, via its USB cable, as my DVD Reader will not work with its mini DVD RW discs. (Nor will my Panasonic Recorder / Player).  In Devices my Windows 8.1 Tablet recognises the CamCorder OK, as a USB mass storage device but it seems (unsurprisingly) there are problems with its driver (most probably out of date, I guess). Unfortunately the Troubleshooter fails to update it and tells me to look for further help.The MS help site is down for maintenance, hence I am trying here.

Updating drivers should be fairly simple, should it not? However, I know there are a lot of dodgy driver update websites and utilities around --- I have been trapped once before into paying for a driver update facility which did not work and required a system restore.  Advice would be very welcome.

clayto

Edited by clayto, 27 June 2015 - 11:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:35 PM

Have you tried getting the drivers from Panasonic?  My guess is you're going to be out of luck and Windows 8.1 isn't supported.  Hardware manufacturers don't have a reason to keep their drivers working with newer operating systems as your only other choice it to buy more hardware.

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

Thanks.

I didnt expect this to be so difficult!  There is something about a 'universal Camcorder driver' on the Panasonic website but I expect it will be a misnomer. I will check it out tomorrow --- it is late now.  I cannot post on the MS Forum, I suppose because the site is down today.  Most postings seem to have been about W7, it feels like a step back in time.  And re a step back, might I have more luck looking for a WXP driver, as that is another option?  Surely there is some way of getting my video files onto a computer --- I used to do it (some years ago). I have done it OK with standard sized CD / DVD discs --- it is the mini discs which do not work now. Come to think of it, I could try connecting the Cam by USB to the XP.  I hope that works, I would like an excuse for keeping the XP alive!

Do you have any experience of driver update utilities, like Slim Drivers or IOB Driver Booster?  I am only likely to try freeware.

clayto

Edited by clayto, 27 June 2015 - 06:00 PM.

#4 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:12 AM

Hello

I have had partial success.  I remembered I may still have the Drive I used some years ago with my Camcorder.  It is a USB to IDE device and it plays mini discs (and  various full size discs including RAM discs, which was not common at the time).  However, it is not recognising / opening the Camcorder video on the disc, apart from listing it as DVD_RTAV.  It only shows what it names as audio CDA files (the soundtrack only?) of a few bytes, and VLC, Real Player and Windows Media Player cannot open / play anything.  Real Player also identifies what it names as MPEG-4 but does not play it.  I have more research to do.

clayto

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:29 AM

Sounds like the disk may not have been closed or finalized.

#6 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

That is possible.  I did not think of that, it is some years since I used my CamCorder.  I became familiar with RAM discs which if I remember correctly dont have to be closed / finalised.  I will check --- there should be a menu entry.

What do you think of this? 

Model name: Panasonic Camcorder Universal driver for all models Manufacturer: Panasonic Device type: Video Capture Date added: 24 Mar 2006 OS: Windows 2000 / Windows 95 / Windows 98 / Windows ME / Windows XP File size: 916 Kb MD5: 1d421272b5824ac167291ae7dad15f74 Tip:

Run a FREE scan for Panasonic Panasonic Camcorder Universal driver for all models Driver related errors

This is on the NODEVICE site,

clayto

#7 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

Hi

Yes, that was it, I finalised the disc, the menu appeared and the video played OK. A lot of effort for a few minutes (unless I find more discs I have forgotten about) --- but quite important scenes.It had forgotten about finalising.  I will still try to follow up the other route of trying to find a driver and connecting with a USB cable. However, being able to play the disc directly to the computer is why I bought a DVD Camcorder in the first place, 

Thanks a lot for your help.

clayto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users