Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Your Windows Licence will expire soon."

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 thegreatneedshelp

thegreatneedshelp

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:14 AM

Guys please help me, I bought my laptop last June 12, 2014 and it had Windows 8.1 pre-installed in it. The hard drive was broken so I had to bring it to the place where I bought it December 2014 and they asked me to buy a new hard disk so I bought a Hitachi 500gb HDD and they said they'll be the one to install the OS so they did and it was a legal OS. Since they my laptop was working well but just now when I started it up it prompted "Your Windows Licence will expire soon." while I was surfing the net. I looked at the System Properties and it said their that the Windows is activated but when I looked at the PC settings it has a menu which says "Activate Windows" then when I click it, it has 2 options: "Activate Windows Online" and "Enter a new product key". I clicked Activate many times but it fails. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thegreatneedshelp

thegreatneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:19 AM

btw. My Laptop is Lenovo S410P

HDD: 500gb

VC: nVidia GeForce (i forgot the model)

RAM: 4GB

Processor: intel i5

#3 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:33 AM

Is there not a licence number on the laptop underside?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:34 AM

If the computer came preinstalled with Windows 8.1 the key is embedded in firmware. Download and run FirmwareTables View. Under the MSDM table locate your key as shown here. You can confirm this by running Produckey.

Then change the key as shown here.

The shop may have use an activator. Look for anything called KMSpico and delete it. See this thread.

If you still cannot activate. Then go here and download a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 from Microsoft and use the key you found in FirmwaretablesView to activate after backing up all your data first. Make sure you pick the same version that was originally on the comptuer, home or pro.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:36 AM

Is there not a licence number on the laptop underside?

Microsoft no longer puts COA stickers on Windows 8 computers.

#6 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

Aye. Good point, John. :)

Yeah, KMS activator was my first thought. I think the OP needs to confront the shop proprietor too.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

Yeah, KMS activator was my first thought. I think the OP needs to confront the shop proprietor too.

No help but my thoughts exactly!  IMO this fellow was ripped off in the first place, why was there no warranty on a 5 month old LT.  Maybe the shop got a free HD out of the deal, does the Philippines have a Better Business office the owner needs a working over!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:16 AM

Hello,

Please run the following, it will identify the method of activation used on your machine:

License Information (Windows 8)

• Right click on the aa922834-ed43-40f1-8830-d5507badb56c_39. button
  • Click on Command prompt =>
  • Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command
    licensingdiag.exe -report "%userprofile%\Desktop\report.txt" -log "%userprofile%\Desktop\repfiles.cab"
  • Once finished please go to your desktop -> You will see two files report.txt and repfiles.cab -> Please select both files and add them into a zip file
  • Upload this zip file to your next reply

#9 thegreatneedshelp

thegreatneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

No help but my thoughts exactly!  IMO this fellow was ripped off in the first place, why was there no warranty on a 5 month old LT.  Maybe the shop got a free HD out of the deal, does the Philippines have a Better Business office the owner needs a working over!

My laptop actually had a damage on its body because it fell so the shop told me that Lenovo won't accept it for warranty because it was due to my carelessness and not a factory defect.

Hello,

Please run the following, it will identify the method of activation used on your machine:

licensingdiag.exe -report "%userprofile%\Desktop\report.txt" -log "%userprofile%\Desktop\repfiles.cab"
  • Once finished please go to your desktop -> You will see two files report.txt and repfiles.cab -> Please select both files and add them into a zip file

Thanks for this, I'll post it tomorrow. :)

#10 thegreatneedshelp

thegreatneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

Here it is.

Attached Files

#11 thegreatneedshelp

thegreatneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

Guys thanks for all you help. When I was trying to do what JohnC_21 said, I was activating it using my product key I got in the FirmwareTables View and even though it wasn't working it said "Thanks you're finished." and it didn't pop-out in the settings anymore. :)

#12 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:06 AM

The computer shop defiantly 100% loaded an illegal version of windows on this HDD when they replaced it for you.

You are using KMS activation:

<ActiveSkuDescription>Windows(R) Operating System, VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel</ActiveSkuDescription>

I would be taking the HDD back and asking for a legit version of Windows in a sealed box with a valid key.

It is also a good idea to report Counterfeit software to Microsoft, this way this computer shop can not rip anyone else off.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/howtotell/cfr/Report.aspx

Edited by Go The Power, 30 June 2015 - 02:07 AM.

#13 vatoscandal

vatoscandal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:32 AM

I also have the same problem. Attached file for your reference.

Hello,

Attached Files

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:31 AM

@vatoscandal

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I would suggest that you start your own topic.  This topic has been inactive for well over a year with 12 responses to the original poster.  Because of the age of this topic and the number of responses most members will not even bother to look at your additional post. You would be much better off starting your own topic which members will recognize as a new topic and be more inclined to respond to it. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users