Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Since latest update, Windows 8.1 features will not load.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Marisawriter

Marisawriter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:43 AM

I installed the latest Windows updates this morning and my laptop is now taking an age to load.  No messages about updates installing or anything like that.

Once it finally uploads, I'm looking at the old Desktop, and I can't get the Apps screen to show.  Nor do the Settings come up when I go to the bottom right-hand corner.  

I am able to use most things I need by using the Desktop but it's obvious there's something not right!  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:04 PM

This may seem overly simplistic, but have you tried restarting the computer?

If this doesn't resolve the issue, go to the Control Panel and click/tap on Programs and Features.

In the upper left portion of the window click on View installed updates.

These updates are dated, so you should have no problem finding the update/s that you installed last.

Post what the update/s are.

Edit:  If there were no integrity issues found in the scan a log may not be available.

Edited by dc3, 27 June 2015 - 12:09 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Marisawriter

Marisawriter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:41 PM

I've lost count of the number of times I've restarted!   

There were only two updates in this morning's batch, and I uninstalled one of them (something to do with the Flash Player for IE), because I found a reference on one forum saying it had caused problems for some people.

Scarily, I just went to check my update history and it's telling me I haven't installed any updates,so I can't confirm the number of that one.  However if I look at Installed Updates I can see all the ones currently installed and the other one I installed this morning was KB2919355.

It seems that Windows Explorer is not loading when I start the computer.  If I add it as a new task in Task Manager, I can get my icons to appear on my desktop and taskbar, but still no charms, and the Windows button does not work.  

I have tried to do a couple of things I found while Googling.  I tried doing a Refresh:  I can't get into PC Settings since the Charms and Window button don't work, but I got in via the User Profile and get the message "Class not registered".  

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

Do a system restore.  Since this occurred this morning you should be able to use any restore point prior to today.

Do you need instructions to do this? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:46 PM

As regards system restore, a system image might be better if you have one available. In my experience images are more reliable and effective ways of getting computers back to previous states. Restoring from an image would certainly fix your problem, but you would then have to work out which update (if it was an update responsible, there could be other causes too) caused the problem so you could avoid installing that same update again in future, it might be best to try working out the update responsible or your problems before doing any kind of system image recovery or system restore recovery.

Also it would be helpful if you give details of: the type of computer you use, what antivirus you have, any other programs you run which are constantly active in the background, what settings you have for various parts of the machine, whether any precursor to this problem appeared earlier than this latest round of updates, a list of all the update numbers (KB.......) of updates you have installed in the last two or three rounds of updating. These details will all be helpful in working out the exact cause of your issue.

Edited by rp88, 27 June 2015 - 03:48 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Marisawriter

Marisawriter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the responses and sorry for not responding earlier, Explorer decided to collapse again as I was trying to respond!

I checked and found that the system had created a system restore point just before this morning's update so I tried to restore to that.  I got a message saying the restore failed but no information as to why.  I tried again, failed again.   I then tried to restore to an earlier point - same thing happened.

I have an Acer Aspire E1-572 which is only a few weeks old.  I think one thing that could be complicating matters is that after the problem started, I uninstalled Avira and replaced it with BitDefender, so I assume the Restore is trying to reinstate Avira and can't find the files?

I know it was probably dumb to do that, but what started the trouble this morning was that when I went to do my Windows update, I noticed that Avira wasn't auto-updating and after Googling it, found that it's a problem with Avira and Windows Firewall.  So I wondered if Avira might be causing some of the problems.

I uninstalled BitDefender in case it was blocking the Restore and tried again, but it still fails. 

No discs were supplied with the laptop. Since getting the laptop I've been working mainly on the cloud so there isn't much in the way of files that I'm worried about.  

Edited by Marisawriter, 27 June 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:10 PM

Doing a system restore would uninstall anything that was not Windows related if it differed from what was currently installed.  So it would revert back to having Avira.

Installation discs are not included with most OEM computers now, they have a partition for the system recovery which will take the operating system back to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.  Since you have only had this computer for a short time, and it looks like your important data is on cloud, I would suggest using the system recovery partition to reinstall the operating system.  Any data, downloads or programs install via discs, photos, etc. will be deleted.

If you wish to pursue this, let me know and I will provide you with instructions.

#8 Marisawriter

Marisawriter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:56 AM

"Doing a system restore would uninstall anything that was not Windows related if it differed from what was currently installed.  So it would revert back to having Avira."

Yes, that's what I was expecting but then I wondered if because I had uninstalled it, that had messed things up somehow.

Since I'm able to access the files I can make sure I have a backup of all of them, so I think using the system recovery partition is the way I'll have to go, if you could point me to the instructions please.

I have found some instructions by Googling but it says "From Start, type Recovery".   Since my Start menu is not working and nor is the Windows key, not sure how to get to Start?

Edit:  Just found another video that says Alt-F10 will work.   I'm going to try that but please, if you know that won't work and have better instructions please share.  

BTW, thanks very much for your help - it makes all the difference to know there's something who knows what they're talking about.  Really appreciate it.

Edited by Marisawriter, 28 June 2015 - 03:33 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

Using System Restore

Click/tap on the Search charm, then type in restore point.

Create a restore point will appear below, click/tap on it.

Click/tap on System Restore

system%20restore_zpsk5dllrox.png

In the next window that opens click on Next and follow the prompts.

If you need more restore point options there is an arrow in the Date and Time box which when you click/tap on it more restore points will appear.  Restore point options will change each time you click/tap the arrow.  When the arrow changes from a down arrow to a up arrow you will have reached the end of the restore point options.

#10 Marisawriter

Marisawriter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:14 PM

Hallelujah!  It worked.  Of course now I'm a bit scared to install those two recent Microsoft updates again, not sure what to do about that.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:37 PM

I'm glad it worked for you.

You can set the updates so they can be seen by you and then you have control whether they get installed or not.   This way you can google them to see if anyone else is having issues with them.  You would do this in the Control Panel under Windows Updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users