Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot, hard drive light goes off in 2 secs, fan is running though

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 abhinavgokari

abhinavgokari

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:43 AM

Hi guys,

I have an old laptop though not very much used - an Dell Inspiron 1464. Apart from heating up a lot, everything was working correctly. Until today, when I could not get it to boot. So here are the observations when I press the power button:

1) When I switch it on, all three lights - the power, battery and the hard drive light up.

2) within 2 secs the hard drive light goes off.

3) Screen is blank all throughout. Can hear the fan running though.

> Tried running some suggestions I found online in other forums:

1) Removed all the memory modules from the laptop and booted - I could hear beeps - so this confirms that the motherboard is good

2) While pressing the power button, I pressed the D botton - The screen strated showing various colours - so the screen is good

3) I thought so the issue is with memorey so - Started trying out each of the memory modules in each of the slot and tried booting the laptop > Same behaviour as above. Maybe both the memory modules were bad, so took memory from another working laptop and put them in > again same behavior as above. So concluded that maybe something other than the screen, motherboard and memory has gone wrong... Please tell me what can i do?

The specifications of my laptop:

Make: Dell Inspiron 1464

Processor Processor type Intel Core i3-330M Processor speed 2130.0 MHz Display Display size 14.0 inches Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels Graphics Graphics Type Integrated Storage Drives included 1.0 Drive size 500.0 GB Hard Drive Speed 5400.0 RPM Drive Controllers Serial ATA II Memory Memory size 4000.0 MB Memory type DDR3 Memory speed 1066.0 MHz Memory max 8.0 GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:42 AM

One thing memory must be compatible unless the memory you used is of the same type it will not work.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 abhinavgokari

abhinavgokari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:18 AM

Thanks a lot for replying doppleganger !

So all the memory modules i tried out were DDR3 rams. 

However, the memory modules currently in the faulty laptop are 2 GB ones and the ones from the working laptop are 4 GB ones. Does that create a problem? 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:10 PM

The maximum amount of RAM for that laptop is 8GB.

Please post the make and models of the RAM modules you are trying to use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 abhinavgokari

abhinavgokari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:13 AM

So here are the pics of the rams

1) the ones from the faulty laptop are named are faulty1 and faulty2

2) the ones from the good laptop are named as good1 and good2 (cheesy.. in know ;-))

So are they replaceable ? Thanks for answering .

Attached Files

#6 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:16 AM

Have you looked at the HDD?

A simple inspection (with HDD cover removed and PC turned on) may reveal that dreaded "Click Of Death" sound from within the HDD.

You can also run a utility named DFT or Knoppix http://www.z-a-recovery.com/extras/vendors.aspx

This what I usually look for first in a laptop acting this way.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#7 abhinavgokari

abhinavgokari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the help Sandman! 

but I beg your pardon, I didn't quite understand there what exactly you suggested me to do. Should I remove the hdd and then swtich it on and see?

Right now I cannot run any utilities because I just cant get the laptop to start properly.

#8 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

The utility I mentioned runs from DVD/disc without writing anything to the HDD. All you need to do is have it boot from disk.

I meant that the HDD can be inspected by just removing the case cover exposing the HDD and while still connected to laptop just turn it on and listen.

I found my GF who just dropped her laptop this weekend (like 6 inches onto a table and acted the very same way) had her HDD take a dump and made the clicking sound when uncovered, but you could not hear it with the cover in place. Thought it might be worth a try as it only requires removing an inspection cover (2 screws and 60 seconds) It only took a few seconds to start making the click of death, Needless to say she was not a happy camper.

Edited by sandman1374, 28 June 2015 - 12:12 PM.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:02 PM

Having both of the modules fail at the same time is very unlikely.   Put the original modules back in.  Then try to boot into the BIOS.  

What sandman is suggesting is that you hdd may be or have failed.  When some hdds begin to fail they will make a clicking noise, hence the term "click of death".  What he suggested was to remove the cover of the hdd so that you can hear if it is clicking.  What they apparently are not aware of is the you need to remove the battery, the optical drive, the RAM cover, the power button panel, the keyboard, the palm rest, and the USB and audio board.  Then the hdd is accessible.  If this hdd is making a clicking noise you should be able to hear it without taking apart a good part of the laptop.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:54 PM

Having both of the modules fail at the same time is very unlikely.   Put the original modules back in.  Then try to boot into the BIOS.  

What sandman is suggesting is that you hdd may be or have failed.  When some hdds begin to fail they will make a clicking noise, hence the term "click of death".  What he suggested was to remove the cover of the hdd so that you can hear if it is clicking.  What they apparently are not aware of is the you need to remove the battery, the optical drive, the RAM cover, the power button panel, the keyboard, the palm rest, and the USB and audio board.  Then the hdd is accessible.  If this hdd is making a clicking noise you should be able to hear it without taking apart a good part of the laptop.

My bad, you are correct as I did not realize all the disassembly needed to expose the HDD.

Laptop I was working on had only a very thin cover but it was enough to hide the "click of death" sound.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:39 AM

The HD access on that model is one of the simplest I have ever seen, a couple of screws and it slides out of the side.  About 3/4 through this youtube link shows the simplicity!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:04 AM

@OldPhil

The video is for the 1545, not the 1464.  I was unable to find a video for the 1464, but I was able to find the service manual for the 1464.  This is where those seven steps I listed came from.

#13 abhinavgokari

abhinavgokari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:48 AM

@ Sandman, Oldphil , DC3

Thanks for the help guys. but.

1) Couldnt hear the 'click of death; 

2) put back the memory modules -> laptop still behaves the same. wont start. :-(

Edited by abhinavgokari, 29 June 2015 - 10:49 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:51 AM

Now that you have the RAM reinstalled try booting into the BIOS.

#15 abhinavgokari

abhinavgokari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:58 AM

nothing is happening. I just cannot enter the BIOS. The screen does nto show anything and the laptop feels as if its goes limp when the hard drive light goes off. I am very intrigued.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users