I have an old laptop though not very much used - an Dell Inspiron 1464. Apart from heating up a lot, everything was working correctly. Until today, when I could not get it to boot. So here are the observations when I press the power button:
1) When I switch it on, all three lights - the power, battery and the hard drive light up.
2) within 2 secs the hard drive light goes off.
3) Screen is blank all throughout. Can hear the fan running though.
> Tried running some suggestions I found online in other forums:
1) Removed all the memory modules from the laptop and booted - I could hear beeps - so this confirms that the motherboard is good
2) While pressing the power button, I pressed the D botton - The screen strated showing various colours - so the screen is good
3) I thought so the issue is with memorey so - Started trying out each of the memory modules in each of the slot and tried booting the laptop > Same behaviour as above. Maybe both the memory modules were bad, so took memory from another working laptop and put them in > again same behavior as above. So concluded that maybe something other than the screen, motherboard and memory has gone wrong... Please tell me what can i do?
The specifications of my laptop:
Make: Dell Inspiron 1464
Processor Processor type Intel Core i3-330M Processor speed 2130.0 MHz Display Display size 14.0 inches Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels Graphics Graphics Type Integrated Storage Drives included 1.0 Drive size 500.0 GB Hard Drive Speed 5400.0 RPM Drive Controllers Serial ATA II Memory Memory size 4000.0 MB Memory type DDR3 Memory speed 1066.0 MHz Memory max 8.0 GB