Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 17.1 : How to Change Network Name?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Uprightman

The Uprightman

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:52 AM

Hi all, in another post I had a chap (quoted below)  recommend that I take this step to increase the overall security of my pc. Whilst I can assume that this would be a simple task to perform - I have no idea how to do it. A Google search and a general look around my pc did not provide any answers.

The other is changing your network name. Many doesn't, and it shoes 'Linksys EA4500'. That tells anyone the default admin and user passwords to gain access by a fast Google search, especially if remote administration hasn't been disabled. 

Could someone please point me to an article that describes how to do this?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Edited by The Uprightman, 27 June 2015 - 12:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:11 AM

How to secure your home wireless network router.

QUOTE:

Having an open wireless network can be a security risk as it may allow anyone who is close enough to your router (e.g. a neighbor or someone war driving) access to your network. To make your home wireless network more secure consider the below suggestions.

Tip: All of the steps below will require access to the router setup, and we also recommend configuring wireless security over a computer with a wired connection to the router if possible.

How to Login to the Cisco Linksys-EA4500

Edited by buddy215, 28 June 2015 - 08:16 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 The Uprightman

The Uprightman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:46 AM

Thank you for taking the time to help Buddy215.

What I do not understand is what exaclty this chap is trying to tell me - change my router password from the default of "admin"?

I have a Netcomm router and do not understand what the information for the Cisco Linksys is for or what I am supposed to be doing with it (if anything).

It is probably best to close this topic as the advice given to me is too vague ( the person who made the post did not answer my question about it).

Thanks again Buddy215.

Edited by The Uprightman, 29 June 2015 - 12:54 AM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:06 AM

Did you read how and why you should secure your router? To secure the router it is important to change the name and password.

You should disable remote administration if you never intend to do that.....remotely administrating your network.

If you would of said in the first post that you had a Netcomm router I would of given you this: Netcomm Router Passwords

instead of info on a linksys router.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:04 AM

What I do not understand is what exaclty this chap is trying to tell me - change my router password from the default of "admin"?

That's why I had advised you (in the Topic where you originally asked) to lookup the make & model of your router & post back. If you have that, a quick Google search will provide the manual that shows these settings. We can also assist if we know not only the make, also the model of your router. 

Scattering the same question across multiple Topics only creates confusion for those whom assists you, and you also get an answer quicker by keeping all together in one Topic. 

There's at least three Topics where you've sought assistance for the same issue. 

This is a network issue, not a OS one, as it apples to all of the computers on your network, be it Linux, Windows, Mac or Android, not a Linux Mint one. My example of the Linksys EA4500 was such because it's the one that I have. Yet it was only that, an example. 

Note also that if the router is supplied by your ISP, you'll have to get permission from them to make changes. For example, they'll want to keep Remote Administration enabled for their purposes. 

I provided a very detailed list of changes here to be performed in Post #25 here. Please keep in mind that the scattering of these questions makes it harder to find the prior answers given. Keeping this in one place makes things so much easier & allows more time for us to assist others in need, I spent at least 10 minutes to find the content below. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/580447/help-with-choosing-linux-mint-edition-ie-cinnamon-kde-etc-and-installation/page-2

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users