Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Default browser issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 compunerd

compunerd

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:29 PM

Hi All, Even though Firefox is my default browser, when any of my programs needs to update or any other web access, they always go to IE and get message, "IE needs to close......". Running WinXP, Pentium IV 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Ram.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:33 PM

Hi All, Even though Firefox is my default browser, when any of my programs needs to update or any other web access, they always go to IE and get message, "IE needs to close......". Running WinXP, Pentium IV 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Ram.

Is there any budget  available to change the machine?

Is IE set as the Default Browser?

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 26 June 2015 - 10:34 PM.

#3 cybersa

cybersa

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:33 AM

Try this:

http://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/178

It may help you.

#4 compunerd

compunerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

Try this:

http://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/178

It may help you.

OK, I tried resetting the pgm defaults as directed but changes won't stick, keeps going back to "Use my current web browser"

#5 compunerd

compunerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:22 PM

I forgot to mention that this problem started when I did an inplace upgrade awhile back.

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:53 PM

I forgot to mention that this problem started when I did an inplace upgrade awhile back.

An in-place upgrade of what to what?  Sorry, I seem to have missed where you mention that.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 27 June 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#7 compunerd

compunerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

An in-place upgrade of what to what?  Sorry, I seem to have missed where you mention that.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

An inplace upgrade of WinXP instead of reinstalling it. Sorry about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users