Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

play TF2 and CSGO without having to redownload them.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:16 PM

I recently dual booted Windows 7 and Linux Ubuntu 15.04 and I want to make it so I don't have to redownload the games on Ubuntu because I already have them downloaded on Windows 7 and I do not want to waste many valuable hours redownloading these games. Can any of you help me please?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 June 2015 - 10:36 PM.
moved from Linux How-To and Tutorial Section

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:18 PM

I recently dual booted Windows 7 and Linux Ubuntu 15.04 and I want to make it so I don't have to redownload the games on Ubuntu because I already have them downloaded on Windows 7 and I do not want to waste many valuable hours redownloading these games. Can any of you help me please?

In most cases Windows software and Games do not work in Linux. There are some exceptions where you can get them to run under Wine but even then it can be problematic. You will need to find the same games for Linux and re-download them.

Install Wine 1.7.46 on Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
 $ sudo apt-get update
 $ sudo apt-get install wine

To uninstall Wine.

$ sudo apt-get remove wine1.7 winetricks

Personally I am not a huge fan of Wine,

Edited by NickAu, 26 June 2015 - 11:19 PM.

#3 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:26 PM

In most cases Windows software and Games do not work in Linux. There are some exceptions where you can get them to run under Wine but even then it can be problematic. You will need to find the same games for Linux and re-download them.

Install Wine 1.7.46 on Ubuntu 15.04, Ubuntu 14.10, Ubuntu 14.04
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
 $ sudo apt-get update
 $ sudo apt-get install wine
To uninstall Wine.
$ sudo apt-get remove wine1.7 winetricks
Personally I am not a huge fan of Wine,
Is that the only way because these games also run on Linux as well. Would it work if I just copyed the TF2 and CSGO files from my Steam folder in Windows 7 and paste them to a new folder and just back it up somewhere and then open them in Ubuntu or do I have to use the other methods instead?

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:34 PM

Is that the only way because these games also run on Linux as well. Would it work if I just copyed the TF2 and CSGO files from my Steam folder in Windows 7 and paste them to a new folder and just back it up somewhere and then open them in Ubuntu or do I have to use the other methods instead?

I have no idea as I do not game or use steam.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:14 PM

While I am reasonably sure - somewhere North of 90% - that it won't work, you have nothing to lose by trying the experiment. Make a folder in your Ubuntu set-up and copy the files and folders for one of your games into it and see what happens. If it works, post back and tell us how you did it. If it doesn't, just delete the folder and think about leaving the computer running some night while you download the files from Steam.

The reason I am reasonably sure is that Linux is more akin to the Apple OS - which was a distant fork of Linux - than it is to Windows. And there are very few Windows applications, if any, which will run on an Apple without the software being re-built.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:35 AM

You have to download each game for Windows and Linux. There might be some similarities between some of the files, and possibly even some exact same files, but at the main program core it is going to have different code. If it was as easy as using the same files for both operating systems, all Windows games would be playable on Linux via Steam. Unfortunately it is not that easy or simple.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#7 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

I tried to redo the entire installation process of CSGO and TF2 on Steam but says that I do not have enough disk space to run the game. How do I fix this because also this is a dual boot system.

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:46 PM

If you are running out of disk space you must not have allocated much for your Linux system. You can always install the Steam games on another partition. Here is a link to some options on how to do so. I can't look at most of them since I am currently at work. The top one should be one to Steam, that should give you step by step instructions on how to set it all up. Its very easy to do so, there is an option to create a new directory for a game before you download it.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users