Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox infection?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:56 PM

I have a HP desktop running running Windows 7 Premium Home Edition (64 bit).  Two days ago I was on the IMDB and everything was loading incredibly slowly while all other sites I visited were fine.  I decided to play it safe and run some scans.  Superantispyware, Malwarebytes (both anti-malware and anti-rootkit), Avast, Adwcleaner, Housecall and ESET found nothing, but I got the following from Junkware Removal Tool:

~~~ Files

Successfully deleted: [File] C:\Program Files (x86)\mozilla firefox\defaults\pref\channel-prefs.js 

Investigating found other people who had issues with ads appearing when their preferences were compromised, which I did not experience.  I checked Firefox's preferences and found my connection set to"use system proxy settings."  I have since set it to "no proxy."

The next day, I ran JRT and it didn't detect anything.  Thinking I was safe, I went online.  When I was preparing to empty my cookies before signing out of Firefox, I found cookies from dotomi dot com and emjcd dot com despite having not visited those sites.  I reran all my scans and did new scans with Windows Defender, Malicious Software Removal Tool, Rkill and Tdsskiller.  Still nothing.  I even uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and ran Temporary File Cleaner to be safe.  Now there are times when Firefox hangs when I try watching stuff on Youtube!  What's going on and how do I fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:01 PM

Reset Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

If the above didn't help...

Uninstall Firefox completely using this manual: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/uninstall-firefox-from-your-computer
NOTE. Use MozBackup: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ to backup your bookmarks and passwords. Do NOT backup anything else.
Install fresh copy.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:00 PM

I tried refreshing and had the issue again several hours later, this time with both Blip and Youtube.  First the Blip video started hanging and when I went to the next tab with a Youtube video loaded, it experienced issues soon after I hit "Play."  Both had worked fine for me hours beforehand.  Closing those tabs and watching a new video a few minutes later yielded no problems.  As something just came up in real life, I'm going to test something out and get back to you around Monday.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:25 AM

p22003888.gif

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

I had another freezing issue, but not with videos.  I was checking out a Facebook page (but wasn't logged in) and Firefox froze.  After unfreezing it by minimizing and maximizing it through its task bar icon, I immediately opened Task Manager.  The only new process was "dllhost.exe," which disappeared before I could check its properties.   Clicking "See processed from all users" found several more instances, which al disappeared save fore one.  That one checks out as a legit process, but what about the others?  Does dllhost.exe come into play whenever a browser freezes?  As I recall, the CPU usage at the time was 17% at its highest, but was usually lower than that.  Physical memory was around 38%.  This is the only thing keeping me thinking my computer might not be clean since I determined the video issue was due to me pausing too many times.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:15 PM

Uninstall Firefox completely using this manual: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/uninstall-firefox-from-your-computer
NOTE. Use MozBackup: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ to backup your bookmarks and passwords. Do NOT backup anything else.
Install fresh copy.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:07 AM

I forgot to mention that I did uninstall/reinstall Firefox yesterday using your instructions.  Sorry about that.  Do you have any thoughts on the dllhost.exe situation?

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:50 PM

dllhost.exe is a legit process and it may be listed several times.

Try to use different browser for couple of days and see if same issue happens.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:58 PM

Thanks, I'll do that and get back to you.  I experienced no issues whatsoever with Firefox today and I hope that's a good sign.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:40 PM

p22003888.gif

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:36 PM

I tried browsing with Internet Explorer and only had two issues I was not able to determine on my own.  Once I accidentally closed two grouped tabs and got an error message about the program needing to close.  But for some reason, IE stayed on.  I also had my browser briefly freeze and unfreeze on me when I had three tabs open. 

Firefox itself has not shown any further issues, but I have noticed a few odd things while using my computer which may be related to this.  I've been noticing "dllhost.exe" appearing in Task Manager at startup and I can't check its properties.  There is a chance I'm just not clicking it fast enough before it vanishes, so I will have to get back to you on that.  I ran Temporary File Cleaner today and it removed 698.00 mb.  Since it usually only removes 178-283 mb unless something is installed, I'm a little concerned about it.  Although if temp files generated in safe mode aren't deleted when the computer is shut down, then this might explain it.  I have also been noticing ESET keeps taking longer and longer despite having finished around 53 minutes prior to my original issue with Firefox.  The number of files scanned seems to be increasing as well.  Prior to the issue, it usually scanned somewhere over 120,000 files.  Now it has jumped to over 130,000 and 140,000!

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

There is no reason to be concerned about any of "issues" you just posted about.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

Perfect!  Sounds like I'm clean then.  Thanks for all of your help.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

You're very welcome p22002759.gif

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users