Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big Upgrade Plans (GPU/Monitor/PSU/RAM)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Neldelyndor

Neldelyndor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:01 PM

Do hope you guys aren't too bored of upgrade questions and that they're appropriate for this forum.

Basics, current system:

In-Win 904 Case

ASUS Maximus VII Ranger

Intel 4790K

Kingston Value RAM 8GB (2x4)

Zotac GTX 750

Corsair CX 500W

120GB SSD (OS)

1TB HDD

250GB HDD

Noctua fans throughout

So, I'm looking to take gaming up to a 1440p main monitor (keeping a secondary 1080p) and doing so with the minimum spent. Would like it to last 2 years before the next upgrade. Having tested myself I genuinely can't tell the difference in FPS beyond about 52-55 so I'm not exactly looking for a supercomputer.

With this I was thinking;

Upgrade to 2x8 GB RAM (leaving room for another 2x8 later)

Get a MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB (and get a 2nd one a month later, after payday)

Get a new PSU to power the 2nd GPU (Silent at low temps [fan off], no longer than 180mm to fit my case)

Get a 27" 1440p capable monitor, preferably freesync compatible (I will buy this, RAM and 1st GPU together)

Strictly speaking I have no budget but I'd like it to be done as cheaply as possible so I can actually go on holiday this year. I've pretty much decided the 2x 380(4GB) setup is the best value/performance for me though I'm open to better informed opinions.

No damn clue about monitors to be honest - quality is key though, I don't want to sacrifice even blacks, colour clarity or good contrast ratio for a lower response time (I don't care enough about competitive gaming to want super-low ms from my monitor). I'm unsure on PSUs at the moment - was thinking Corsair HX though anything 750W+ that is silent under low load, small enough to fit (180mm, short as possible) and of decent quality is fine by me.

RAM will be anything quality that fits under a Noctua NH-C14.

Might also replace the HDDs with new faster models - the two listed above are taken from a previous PC and are now 4 years old (1TB) and 7 years old (250GB).

I do also use the PC for simple CAD + CFD/FEA analysis though it can handle that well enough now anyway so it won't factor into upgrades really.

Thank in advance for any helpful replies!

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2015 - 09:38 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:25 PM

There are a few 1440p monitors you can choose from, I suggest IPS monitors for image quality.  A 6ms or faster monitor is enough for most people, with LED monitors offering deeper blacks over old-style fluorescent LCD's.

I'm not sure if you're located in the USA, but here are two suggestions.

Acer XB270HU bprz Black 27''  <<<Uses G-Sync

ASUS MG279Q Black 27" 144 Hz 4ms  <<<Uses FreeSync

Out of curiosity, why an R9 380X and not a GTX 980?  The 980 may be a little more expensive, but it runs cooler and uses less energy with similar performance.  Some CAD tools prefer one GPU brand, AMD or Nvidia, for GPU computations. 

3939.png

#3 Neldelyndor

Neldelyndor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 01:25 PM

The 980 is £390, the 380 4GB only £180, for a 980 I can get 2x 380 with money to spare for a fan, however, I think I've actually decided to go for a R9 390. The temps are actually quite impressive, only running a few K hotter than a 970 and clearly out-performing it at 1440p. Power draw is still significantly higher but not insane and I want a new PSU anyway for SLI/xFire (plus my electricity is included in my rent :P). I'm reluctant to go much beyond a 390/970 level of GPU simply because I don't believe my usage warrants such a powerful GPU - BF4, Ultra settings @ 1440p runs 60+ average FPS on a 390 which is ideal. Later down the line I'll just buy another one to keep up and it won't cost much. Maybe in 2 years time I'll be looking at these new Pascal or Volta GPUs from nVidia.

Those monitors are ideal options but are £486 in the UK - was hoping to find something for under £300, probably at 60Hz as it doesn't seem likely that I'll find anything 'budget' than can handle 144Hz.

EDIT: actually looks as though I'll have to spend proper money for the monitor. Getting a budget one will clearly hamper picture quality, having looked through reviews.

Thanks for the advice though, its been a long weekend of trawling the internet for help!

Edited by Neldelyndor, 28 June 2015 - 01:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users