Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 uptonhowitt

uptonhowitt

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

My first time on "bleepingcomputer" so please excuse if I am doing it wrong!

My Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit computer was running OK.  I shut the computer down as normal, but next day when I tried to start nothing happened, no BIOS notification (as was normal) appeared, no bleeps or anything....just a blank screen.

I opened the case and tried pushing on memory strips, all connections I could see and on video card, but still no response when trying to boot up.  When I switch on computer the case fan does start running, and a few lights appear in the innards so the power supply seems ok.

Anyone any ideas please??   uptonhowitt.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:26 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

What is the make and model of this computer?

I would suggest that you touch the bare metal of the case to discharge any static electricity in your system before touching any of the components inside.  An electrostatic discharge can kill integrated circuits.  Like the chips on the RAM module/s.

Are any of the fans running after pressing the power button?

What LEDs are you seeing?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 uptonhowitt

uptonhowitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for your interest.   The  computer is manufactured by  "Chillblast"  a "Fusion Mammoth"  desktop.  Intel Core i5 4670K, liquid cooled, Gigabyte Z87N-WiFi motherboard, NVida GeForce GTX 770 2GB graphics card  running Windows 8.1 Pro.

I have tried resetting the BIOS (shorting the jumper)  and also tried removing the battery (I even replaced the battery!)  just cannot get the BIOS to load at all. The case fans, cooler fan and the two fans on the video card are running when I try to start the computer, and there are three diodes flashing on the main board -  do not know what they are for though.  That is all the "action" inside the computer. 

I feel helpless,  suppose I will have to call in an expert and cough up some dough!

I just thought someone out there might have had the same problem and could help.  I am not a novice with computers, know a bit about them and how to do somethings, but this one has got me stumped.  I am OK I suppose cos I have an old computer I am trying out Windows 10 on  (the one I am using now) so I can access the internet with little trouble.

Edited by uptonhowitt, 27 June 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:00 PM

Ok, the computer goes through the POST (Power On Self Test) to make sure that all of the peripheral devices are ok.  If there is a problem in the POST the BIOS will not load.  So it sounds like this is what is happening.

What happens if you try to boot into the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 uptonhowitt

uptonhowitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

Dear Arachibutyrophobia,

Thanks again for your interest.

I am stuck here I am afraid.  As I said I cannot get anything on the computer at all.  When I try to start up by pressing the  "on" button on the computer case nothing at all happens,  the monitor does respond but nothing at all shows on the screen.   Pressing any buttons on the keyboard does not help.   The "delete" key is the usual way into the BIOS but I can sit here for hours presssing that and nothing happens,  all there is is a blank screen.

The monitor is OK   I have tried it on my other computer, that goes for the keyboard and mouse as well - I have tried them all, and all work on the old computer.  I have power to the computer at fault.....it seems to me that there is something wrong with the motherboard or the actual BIOS.

As I said originally, the last time I successfully used the (now faulty) computer, when I had finished I shut it down the normal way using the "shutdown" button on the screen (I have Start 8 installed), and it seemed to shut down quite normally.  Next day   nothing!!!

Edited by uptonhowitt, 28 June 2015 - 08:06 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:01 AM

You have a hardware problem, this is what is keeping the computer from completing the POST and allowing the BIOS to run.

You post that there were three LEDs flashing on the motherboard.  I would be willing to be that these flash in a specific pattern which indicates a specific problem.  Please post the make and model of the motherboard and I will see what I can find regarding these LEDs.

#7 uptonhowitt

uptonhowitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:17 AM

Dear Arachibutyrophobia,

Thanks      My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI M-ITX Haswell CPU only motherboard

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 10:35 AM

Is this your motherboard?

#9 uptonhowitt

uptonhowitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

Dear Arachibutyrophobia,

Looks very much like it and the reference ties up, except I cannot find the   "GA" bit on my board or in the manufactrerers leaflets.   Bear in mind however that I bought my computer in August 2013.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:28 PM

I was hoping it wasn't your motherboard because it doesn't have any LEDs on it.

Where are you seeing these lights?

#11 uptonhowitt

uptonhowitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:45 AM

Sorry, now I look closely one light is on the video board, goes out after a few minutes, one light is not on the motherboard but is the light which shows the computer is switched on, and the third light is a light on the CPU cooler fan

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:47 AM

You posted "The case fans, cooler fan and the two fans on the video card are running."  Do these continue to run until you shut down the computer?

Are there any LEDs on the front or top to indicate that the computer is on or hdd activity?

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:58 AM

Hi,

Will keep this short-n-sweet, simple & to the point..  If you cannot go into the BIOS the problem is the M/B; regardless of any LEDs or not.  Also, FYI, a P/S can appear live but, still be bad.  But, no BIOS, it's the M/B.

Cheers,

Edited by Drew1903, 01 July 2015 - 09:58 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:04 AM

@Drew1903

If the computer fails to successfully complete the POST the BIOS will not load.  Let's wait until we get some more information before suggesting that the motherboard needs to be replaced. 

#15 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:32 AM

@Drew1903

If the computer fails to successfully complete the POST the BIOS will not load.  Let's wait until we get some more information before suggesting that the motherboard needs to be replaced. 

Were we told if the POST 'beep' is audible or not?  I missed that either way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users