Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacking modem for faster speeds?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:42 PM

I would like to know if there is a way to hack my modem to force faster Internet speeds. We currently have a 6mbps connection and it takes an afternoon to download something that's 1 GB in size. :0

Plus my internet is so slow that Google Chrome thinks that websites take too long to respond.

Edited by gigapouch, 26 June 2015 - 01:43 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ratedgore

Ratedgore

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:06 PM

Hi,

If your internet service provider is offering you 6 Mbps your are suppose to get 6 Mbps... I have never heard about hacking a connection speed of a service provider but regardless that would be against the law. I would assume that you have adware/malware on your computer if its (slow) to load basic pages.

Thanks.

Edited by Ratedgore, 26 June 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:12 PM

No because you are limited by your ISP's download cap and mostly limited by the upload speed of the node you're downloading from. However, using programs like bittorrent can help increase download times of files because it comes from multiple node resources.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:24 PM

try a SpeedTest and make sure you are getting what you pay for,

Also post the results of a tracert yahoo.com from a command prompt, please.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:30 PM

I'm getting close to what I'm paying for. (Let me rephrase that: "we're")

And using a torrent doesn't really increase my download speed.

(This is me looking at AT&T's data plans:  :hysterical: )

Untitled.png

Edited by gigapouch, 26 June 2015 - 03:33 PM.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:13 PM

I'm getting close to what I'm paying for. (Let me rephrase that: "we're")

And using a torrent doesn't really increase my download speed.

(This is me looking at AT&T's data plans:  :hysterical: )

Untitled.png

The first 6 hops is your ISP's network which looks excellent for DSL & after that it hits Yahoo's servers which shows higher latency and * possible packet losses.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:01 PM

Seems wrong to see private ip 192.205.33.46 in a tracert.  Seeing more of this with isps these days.  What that means is you are being lied to concerning you getting a public ip.  The 151x, 12x's.. those are lies.  The 12x is AT$T but then you are being redirected to Stockholm [telia.net]

http://who.is/whois/telia.net/

Something funky is going on with your routing.

You using a vpn service?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 27 June 2015 - 09:01 PM.

#8 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:09 PM

Seems wrong to see private ip 192.205.33.46 in a tracert.  Seeing more of this with isps these days.  What that means is you are being lied to concerning you getting a public ip.  The 151x, 12x's.. those are lies.  The 12x is AT$T but then you are being redirected to Stockholm [telia.net]

http://who.is/whois/telia.net/

Something funky is going on with your routing.

You using a vpn service?

No, I am not using a VPN service. And I'm not surprised that AT&T is doing this. I am also receiving frequent dropouts to my Internet, and I have a separate topic for this here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581025/frequent-internet-dropouts/

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

The online whois ip lookup resolves to AT&T owning the netblock 192.205.0.0 - 192.205.255.255 and CIDR /16. I can tracert to 192.205.33.46 but it drops because they aren't responding to those requests. This is the signs of ipv4 running out of addresses and with ipv6 not being fully deployed everywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users