Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spilled water on laptop, now won't work when plugged in.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gearofages

Gearofages

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:29 PM

I spilled water on my Acer Aspire 5515 about two months ago. At first, it would work occasionally with the battery, but rarely when plugged in. Now, it will run fine under battery power, and randomly between thirty seconds and thirty minutes with the adapter before the screen turns white. If I start it with the battery and then plug it in, the screen will either turn white, or it will shut down completely, every time, as soon as the plug goes through the hole. It also shuts down on its own if I enter and exit the BIOS screen, no matter which power mode I choose. I assume it's the motherboard, but I have no idea how to fix it, or if it's even worth trying. 

Thanks! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goundin

goundin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:39 PM

I have seen issues like this before. What I recommend doing is taking it to your local computer store. They will be able to fix the issue or recommend an option for you. It sounds as if the water may have hit the motherboard and while it is/was able to power on it still can cause issues. I do not recommend using the computer while it is currently like this.

Thanks,

Matt

#3 Ratedgore

Ratedgore

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:17 PM

I agree with goundin and I will add if they conclude its the motherboard that needs replacement ask how much it cost for the motherboard and the labor involved, in most of the time (especially a laptop), a new laptop is the way to go.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

This solution is the completely dis-assembly and cleaning.  Attempts to solve the problem before cleaning can do damage to any internal part that was exposed to the water.  Solution content, like soda, tea or coffee can create shorts that could burn out traces and elements.

#5 Gearofages

Gearofages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

Thanks guys. The part that is blown is a 30-pin attachment with the power button on it that connects to the motherboard. Anybody know what that is called? I've found motherboards online, but they don't picture that part. The motherboard itself looks fine.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:06 PM

Curious are you sure it is the problem?

Edited by OldPhil, 12 July 2015 - 09:06 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Gearofages

Gearofages
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

Fairly sure. The part is charred, and it's the same place where the water was spilled.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:11 PM

Sounds good.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users