Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Genuine... except it is.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Zerah

Zerah

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:25 PM

So back in November or December the CPU fan of my HP Envy died and I had to take it to a shop and have it replaced. While I was there I also had the keyboard replaced as the space key had been broken. 

I get the computer back and the techs had so nicely taken the time to run a virus scan, give my computer a tune up, and install windows updates. They felt my computer was 'running slow' and that I might have a virus.

... In the wake of getting my machine back I started getting notices that my copy of windows is no longer genuine. 

But it is. 

I went through some tech support with Microsoft where they went ahead and 'fixed' it only for it to happen again. I gave up and set the computer aside for six months, unable to fix the problem. Flash forward. 

Apparently around that time there was a software release that made a bunch of windows copies show as not genuine. I install windows updates that happened in the month I just stopped dealing with this machine. 

I called Microsoft and flailed and they confirmed that the code on the bottom of my computer is indeed a valid, genuine copy of windows. Because it is OEM I need to go to the manufacturer, HP, to get things fixed. 

So I called HP. They want me to do a factory reset and/or run the recovery discs. Both of which will result in me COMPLETELY LOSING ALL OF MY DATA and resetting the machine back to factory default. This, of course, sounds like a load of bull to me. I'm not interested in the fast, easy solution. I want the solution that preserves my data and fixes the problem without the massive hassle of backing everything up and moving it to another machine and redoing everything.

What do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:11 PM

Download and run MGADiag, then copy and paste the output with your reply.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 Zerah

Zerah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0019.0):
-----------------------------------------
WGA Data-->
Validation Status: Genuine
Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
Windows Product Key: *****-*****-73CQT-WMF7J-3Q6C9
Windows Product Key Hash: KaFG+RmurcM3ZxzWyfEP9WtPUJw=
Windows Product ID: 00359-OEM-8992687-00010
Windows Product ID Type: 2
Windows License Type: OEM SLP
Windows OS version: 6.1.7601.2.00010300.1.0.003
ID: {40226FB6-0BF6-49E6-8083-0CC3DDF731EB}(3)
Is Admin: Yes
TestCab: 0x0
WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
Product Name: Windows 7 Home Premium
Architecture: 0x00000009
Build lab: 7601.win7sp1_gdr.150525-0603
TTS Error: 
Validation Diagnostic: 
Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WGA Notifications Data-->
Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
File Exists: No
WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
Office Status: 109 N/A
OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
Proxy settings: N/A
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
Active scripting: Allowed
Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{40226FB6-0BF6-49E6-8083-0CC3DDF731EB}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0019.0</Version><OS>6.1.7601.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3Q6C9</PKey><PID>00359-OEM-8992687-00010</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1030250732-1033164257-3458109985</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.0C</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="7"/><Date>20130122000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>57A63307018400FE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>HPQOEM</OEMID><OEMTableID>SLIC-MPC</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
Software licensing service version: 6.1.7601.17514

Name: Windows(R) 7, HomePremium edition
Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel
Activation ID: d2c04e90-c3dd-4260-b0f3-f845f5d27d64
Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
Extended PID: 00359-00178-926-800010-02-1033-7601.0000-1892013
Installation ID: 021480438533951524453313619120968851068353217180277681
Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340
Partial Product Key: 3Q6C9
License Status: Licensed
Remaining Windows rearm count: 1
Trusted time: 6/26/2015 11:17:42 AM

Windows Activation Technologies-->
HrOffline: 0x8004FE22
HrOnline: 0x00000000
HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000800
Event Time Stamp: 6:25:2015 21:14
WAT Activex: Registered
WAT Admin Service: Registered

HWID Data-->
HWID Hash Current: OAAAAAIAAQABAAIAAQACAAAABAABAAEAln0ujSp3FT9+efTjqO5GsHf2kij0cUBXAAqu2OJ3LnM=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
Windows marker version: 0x20001
OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
BIOS Information: 
  ACPI Table Name	OEMID Value	OEMTableID Value
  APIC			HP    		INSYDE  
  FACP			HPQOEM		SLIC-MPC
  HPET			HP    		INSYDE  
  BOOT			HP    		INSYDE  
  MCFG			HP    		INSYDE  
  WDAT			HP    		INSYDE  
  ASF!			HP    		INSYDE  
  SLIC			HPQOEM		SLIC-MPC
  SSDT			HP    		INSYDE  
  ASPT			HP    		INSYDE  
  SSDT			HP    		INSYDE  
  SSDT			HP    		INSYDE  
  SSDT			HP    		INSYDE  

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

The report is showing that you have the OEM SLP installed.  You need to have the COA SLP key installed.

Open this Microsoft Community article and scroll down to All replies (16) and read george 1009's response.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Zerah

Zerah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:57 PM

Right-o. So I go to start-run type in SLUI 3, hit enter aaaaaaand nothing happens.

Nothing pops up to enter my new key, nothing. 

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:23 PM

Well I'm not an expert in this area but I suspect it's best to take the computer back to the shop that fixed your computer

--- I believe the computer should have been brought back to the shop when the problem occurred

It wouldn't surprise me when Microsoft tried to help you, the problem returned is because the key they provided for you wasn't free in order to be activated; you were probably able to use it for 30 days without activating it, but that's he way the system works.

With that said I'll probably will learn something new here but I hope you can get this straightened out

#7 Zerah

Zerah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

I took it back to the shop originally and they shirked responsibility. At the time I was going through college finals and simply didn't have the time or energy to argue with them. I'll give them a ring and see if they'll fix it. 

Edited by Zerah, 26 June 2015 - 03:30 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:49 PM

Right-o. So I go to start-run type in SLUI 3, hit enter aaaaaaand nothing happens.

Try SLUI 4.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Zerah

Zerah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:53 PM

Try SLUI 4.

No dice.

And the fellow at the shop seems a bit skeevy. It's supposed to be a good shop. 5 stars on yelp, A+ score with the BBB, etc. They'll do a diagnostic in a few days when I have time to drop the thing off. 

Edited by Zerah, 26 June 2015 - 03:55 PM.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:32 PM

Perhaps if they were enlightened that this issue is featuring on Bleeping Computer, and that BC has over 600,000 members (May,2014)....

Tell them in a roundabout way.....only when all else fails of course.

Their business name published here just may be sufficient inducement to allow them to see the light.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:04 AM

What you need is your 25 character product key

--- In your MGADiag the last 15 characters of your Windows Product Key are reported

"I called Microsoft and flailed and they confirmed that the code on the bottom of my computer is indeed a valid, genuine copy of windows."

--- Compare the last 15 characters that the code you mention to ones reported in the MGADiag report

--- It's possible they won't match but I would want to know if it were my computer

The code you mention on the bottom of your computer even though you were told its a valid product key, it might be a COA sticker which verifies you have a valid product but that's not the one you need to validate

--- If it is your valid product let us know why you think it is

--- You don't have to post the number; I believe personal information like isn't allowed

On my Windows 7 computer the number on the sticker on the bottom of the computer do not match the correct product key that I would need if I had to validate my system.

--- Even though I know my 25-character product key I use www.belarc.com to record it anyway

--- If you want to run it, after downloading and completing it scroll down to software licenses

--- Mine reports Microsoft - Windows 7 Home Premium along with the 20 character OEM number and then the 25-character key

EDIT: I stand to be corrected. According to this article the COA sticker can have the correct product key

http://www.howtogeek.com/209975/how-to-find-your-pc%E2%80%99s-windows-product-key-so-you-can-reinstall-windows/ Maybe it's the OEM SLP involved as already mentioned

I just checked my other 2 windows 7 computers and the COA sticker numbers are not the same as the product key I would need to validate the system.

--- So it appears it's best to get that computer shop to fix what needs to be fixed

--- Its that 25-character key that you need

--- In your case Belarc might not pick it if it hasn't been validated but you have nothing to lose to find out

Edited by cmptrgy, 27 June 2015 - 01:25 AM.

#12 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:53 AM

Just clarify...

The is a "Product ID" & there is a "License Key"  The COA (sticker) has the latter on it.  The Product ID is the one that one sometimes has to phone MS & get a new one as part of Activating.  The Key one inserts @ the initial stages of installation.

As for that shop... And being that I own an IT business I'll speak freely.  YES, they should take responsibility.  This did not exist before & until they mucked about w/ the thing.  But, here is where they REALLY went wrong...  You DO NOT do this, run a virus scan, give my computer a tune up, and install windows updates., w/out discussing it w/ the client FIRST!!!!  And as for this one, They felt my computer was 'running slow' and that I might have a virus.  Give me a break, that's the lamest, oldest excuse or BS coverup line to claim justification for whatever they did w/out discussing it w/ you FIRST!!  Plus, if it really was particularly 'slow', there are a myriad of possible causes, malware being only 1 of them.  And a running of Malwarebytes can address that... not the list of 'steps' they claim to have taken.  Did they leave whatever Tools they used to "tune it up" in it?

There are so many (catch) phrases here that remind of those damn TV ads for FinallyFast .com or FixMyPC.com

I suggest you ring MS Licensing about this regarding the numbers, et al.  I somehow doubt it is the # you called.  I would, also, @ the same time report the actions (& attitude) of that shop... they were WAY out of line doing that stuff, whatever they, actually, did w/out talking w/ you FIRST!!  The Licensing Dept. # is 1-877-426-6010.   It's MS who need to know about the shop before & more than the BBB or ___.  Trust me on this.  MS keeps @ least as tight an eye on shops & retailers as Harley-Davidson does.  Been through all this either 1st hand or on behalf of clients.  Plus, I am a MS Partner & a MS Licensing Expert (their title not mine), all I did was pass a course, lol.

And, btw, an OEM the key is in the BIOS or the info is in the BIOS for the OEM to find the Key in their records and give it to you.  MS is right about Support coming from the OEM not, them.  I hate to say it, but, dealing w/ HP can be very challenging.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll keep the Forum abreast of developments.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 27 June 2015 - 02:57 AM.

#13 Zerah

Zerah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 08:39 AM

What you need is your 25 character product key

--- In your MGADiag the last 15 characters of your Windows Product Key are reported

"I called Microsoft and flailed and they confirmed that the code on the bottom of my computer is indeed a valid, genuine copy of windows."

--- Compare the last 15 characters that the code you mention to ones reported in the MGADiag report

--- It's possible they won't match but I would want to know if it were my computer

The code you mention on the bottom of your computer even though you were told its a valid product key, it might be a COA sticker which verifies you have a valid product but that's not the one you need to validate

--- If it is your valid product let us know why you think it is

--- You don't have to post the number; I believe personal information like isn't allowed

On my Windows 7 computer the number on the sticker on the bottom of the computer do not match the correct product key that I would need if I had to validate my system.

--- Even though I know my 25-character product key I use www.belarc.com to record it anyway

--- If you want to run it, after downloading and completing it scroll down to software licenses

--- Mine reports Microsoft - Windows 7 Home Premium along with the 20 character OEM number and then the 25-character key

EDIT: I stand to be corrected. According to this article the COA sticker can have the correct product key

http://www.howtogeek.com/209975/how-to-find-your-pc%E2%80%99s-windows-product-key-so-you-can-reinstall-windows/ Maybe it's the OEM SLP involved as already mentioned

I just checked my other 2 windows 7 computers and the COA sticker numbers are not the same as the product key I would need to validate the system.

--- So it appears it's best to get that computer shop to fix what needs to be fixed

--- Its that 25-character key that you need

--- In your case Belarc might not pick it if it hasn't been validated but you have nothing to lose to find out

The computer is using the windows key that was pre-set by the HP recovery discs when the hard drive choked out under warranty over a year ago. The MGADiag shows THAT key not the one listed on t he bottom of my computer. 

The key listed on the bottom of my computer is the one I had Microsoft verify as valid. 

Theoretically, the solution *should* be to just change which key I'm using. Unfortunately it seems SLUI 3 and SLUI 4 are not popping up when I try to pull them  up so I can change the key.

I have the HP recovery discs tucked away safely (somewhere) or can simply order more and reinstall windows that way. HP advises I just run the recovery discs which will reset it to factory default. So with a sigh I'm folding everything into a couple of zip files and moving them over the network to my other machine (the one I'm typing here on at this moment).

Just clarify...

The is a "Product ID" & there is a "License Key"  The COA (sticker) has the latter on it.  The Product ID is the one that one sometimes has to phone MS & get a new one as part of Activating.  The Key one inserts @ the initial stages of installation.

As for that shop... And being that I own an IT business I'll speak freely.  YES, they should take responsibility.  This did not exist before & until they mucked about w/ the thing.  But, here is where they REALLY went wrong...  You DO NOT do this, run a virus scan, give my computer a tune up, and install windows updates., w/out discussing it w/ the client FIRST!!!!  And as for this one, They felt my computer was 'running slow' and that I might have a virus.  Give me a break, that's the lamest, oldest excuse or BS coverup line to claim justification for whatever they did w/out discussing it w/ you FIRST!!  Plus, if it really was particularly 'slow', there are a myriad of possible causes, malware being only 1 of them.  And a running of Malwarebytes can address that... not the list of 'steps' they claim to have taken.  Did they leave whatever Tools they used to "tune it up" in it?

There are so many (catch) phrases here that remind of those damn TV ads for FinallyFast .com or FixMyPC.com

I suggest you ring MS Licensing about this regarding the numbers, et al.  I somehow doubt it is the # you called.  I would, also, @ the same time report the actions (& attitude) of that shop... they were WAY out of line doing that stuff, whatever they, actually, did w/out talking w/ you FIRST!!  The Licensing Dept. # is 1-877-426-6010.   It's MS who need to know about the shop before & more than the BBB or ___.  Trust me on this.  MS keeps @ least as tight an eye on shops & retailers as Harley-Davidson does.  Been through all this either 1st hand or on behalf of clients.  Plus, I am a MS Partner & a MS Licensing Expert (their title not mine), all I did was pass a course, lol.

And, btw, an OEM the key is in the BIOS or the info is in the BIOS for the OEM to find the Key in their records and give it to you.  MS is right about Support coming from the OEM not, them.  I hate to say it, but, dealing w/ HP can be very challenging.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll keep the Forum abreast of developments.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

I mentioned coming to bleeping computer over the phone and that the folks here mentioned I should have them look at it. The guy was like "oh don't trust those sites those are scams." And I was like, "... R u srs?" They may have been assuming that because of the sound of my voice and name that I am 100% clueless. (The joke is on them, I'm only 60% clueless. The -only- reason I took the machine to the shop in the first place is because I'm uneasy with the idea of disassembling a thousand+ dollar laptop. I didn't want to send the laptop by mail to HP, I don't remember all the details on why I didn't want to send it to HP in the first place. I think I wanted a faster turnaround than the 10+ days HP mentioned, )

And I became aware that they messed with things on my system when I noticed they uninstalled my copy of Spybot Search and Destroy (I mean, it's not as great as it used to be but my word). Perhaps there is a virus that is causing a problem with all of this. Perhaps my machine is having trouble because KB 3004394 and I gave up on fixing it due to finals and missed Microsoft's fix for it. 

Perhaps the shop busted the CPU on the machine when trying to replace the CPU fan and had to replace it then didn't do anything to fix windows. The idea that changing the CPU fan/heatsink and the keyboard would trigger Windows to think that there's "new hardware" and require a rearm or whatever is a little odd.

I'm not gonna buy their stupid data backup bull they're trying to sell. I'm going to give them an earful, because i wasn't 100% satisfied when I dealt with them originally, the machine was returned with problems, and I didn't have time to fight because finals (I'm going to school for software engineering). 

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

Perhaps the shop busted the CPU on the machine when trying to replace the CPU fan and had to replace it then didn't do anything to fix windows. The idea that changing the CPU fan/heatsink and the keyboard would trigger Windows to think that there's "new hardware" and require a rearm or whatever is a little odd.

Actually, you can change every component on the computer without causing recognition of it except the motherboard.  If you install a different motherboard you will usually need to reactivate Windows.

I'm going to take one more stab at explaining just what a SLP (System Locked Pre-installation) key is and how it pertains to your computer.  The following is a partial quote from an article at the Microsoft Community website.

Why are there two different keys available with every OEM machines?

A- OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the OEM Bios Flag found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Windows looks at the motherboard and sees the proper OEM Bios Flag (for that Manufacturer and that version of Windows) and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B- COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (sush as if the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

You need to find the sticker on this computer and use the product key which is on it to activate Windows.  You will need to call Microsoft to do this.

Edited by dc3, 27 June 2015 - 10:03 AM.

#15 Zerah

Zerah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:55 AM

Alright. I see. Will need to call microsoft to activate the key on the bottom of the box. 

The problem of SLUI 3 /4 not even popping up an interface is still a worrisome problem. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users