Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vipre Antivirus false positive in Quickbooks' dbdata11.dll file

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

Reports are coming in about Vipre anti-virus quarantining the QuickBooks dbdata11.dll file. Due to this QuickBooks freeezes and is unable to work properly. In order to resolve this, please upgrade your Vipre definitions to 41468, which no longer flags dbdata11.dll as malware.

One unfortunate side effect to this false positive is that when a user launches QuickBooks and the files are quarantined, Quickbooks will create a new %Temp% folder with the same files. Vipre will then quarantine that file and the whole process continues to be repeated. This leads to numerous %Temp% folders being created and thus huge amounts, some reports of 100GB, of hard drive space being taken up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 randy18

randy18

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for posting this - I had a client hit by this last Friday.

#3 0xCC

0xCC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:28 AM

First post, just wanted to chime in and say "ditto". A search on the topic led me here. We're going to submit a false positive detection to Threattrack (Vipre) this morning ourselves. Friday was an interesting morning in the IT department - really looked like malware for a little bit!

EDIT: Never mind, I missed the bit about it having already been fixed in def version 41468. Guess we'll just do some testing and remove the filename exception we created!

Edited by 0xCC, 29 June 2015 - 06:32 AM.

#4 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

What a nightmare, seriously VIPRE? That's a long stretch to put something as important as QB as a definition. I wonder what employee at VIPRE submitted that..

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users