Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

27" iMac Hardware Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ash2276

ash2276

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:31 AM

My iMac has a hardware problem that can't seem to be repaired.  I get this message:

"Back-up as much of the dat as possible and replace the disk.  See an authorized Apple dealer for more information".

S.M.A.R.T Staus - Failing

When trying to restore to my Seagate 1TB drive I get this message:

An error (22) occured while copying (invalid argument). 

Is there any way around this?  How can I back-up my data?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:37 PM

Try Disk Warrior to Back up your personal data and then replace your Hard Drive.

#3 ash2276

ash2276
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:04 PM

HI There,

Is there any other way to back up my data?  The computer is not allowing me download anything - its saying disk is full (when it's not)

It won't let me reinstall Mavericks either.

Thanks

#4 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

If your disk full you need an external Drive. Copy something from your System Drive to your external and delete them on your System Drive to get more space. 

Edited by dante12, 28 June 2015 - 03:04 PM.

#5 ash2276

ash2276
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:13 PM

We are trying to use an external drive and nothing is copying to it.  I"m at a loss as to what to do next. 

We can't seem to open the files on the computer's hard drive but we can see  them.

We get a white screen when turning the computer on and have option command p+r to access anything. 

#6 ash2276

ash2276
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:30 PM

Hi Dante12

just to be clear what I have to do is his Command+option+P+R to get the following 4 options up on my screen Restore from time machine, reinstall Os X Get Help Disk Utility.

I have tried all 4 options and for one reason or another I can not seem to do anything past this point.

Is there a way to connect this computer to a network or maybe boot the system from a usb?

The only way That I can see that my files still exist on my hard drive is when I choose the option of open file. But there doesn't seem to be enough space tp open any of the files. The computer loads for ever and nothing opens.

#7 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:31 PM

You can check how much free space is on your disk with the get Info Command. Click on your System drive on the left pane in Finder and press Command + I. That shows you how much free Space you have.

Please read here this may help you to get a solution.

Edited by dante12, 28 June 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#8 ash2276

ash2276
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:56 PM

We don't have access to the Finder we have to find it through disk utilities.  Capacity is 999.35GB and free space is 714.38GB.

#9 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:33 PM

It looks to me that you have no permissions to access the drive.

1. Please start the console klick above on windows clear, or clear all and restart.
  2. Before you restart in the normal mode, boot into recovery mode (hold the keys Command+R before your heart the start sound)
  3. Open the Disc Utility and try to Check the drive for errors and try to repair your permissions
  4. Restart and boot into normal mode
  5. Open the Konsole, Click on the left pane to all Messages, copy and insert the lines here.

#10 ash2276

ash2276
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

Tried to boot into safe mode and got file with flashing question mark.  Computer won't boot into normal mode and we cannot get the omputer to boot in any other way. 

Are there any other optons?

#11 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:49 PM

It seems that your startup disk is unselect. Please follow the steps here to correct this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users