Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes detecting multiple registry keys relating to Windows Defender?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ceoff

ceoff

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:07 AM

Hello there. Today I had a run-in with a scammer on steam, and I accidentally clicked on the link he sent me and a screensaver file downloaded immediately. From there I carefully deleted the file, and I'm nearly positive I never actually opened it.

During this process I was uninstalling Sandboxie, and suddenly my PC restarted. I'm not sure why this happened, though I think it was because of sandboxie.

Regardless, I then scanned with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. Windows Defender came up with unrelated things, however, Malwarebytes found something Windows Defender didn't mention. These files. Here's the log.

Spoiler

After some research these all seem to relate to Windows Security features, and I'm scared to remove them. I've decided to just leave MBAM open until I get some informed assistance.

NOTE: I'm running a Windows 10 Insider Preview (Build 10130)

Could I please get some assistance with this? If I'm infected, my Steam account is at risk, and it has several hundred dollars worth of items on there, including a rare tier of item scammers frequently target me for.

Thank you so, so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:27 AM

Welcome to BC !

MBAM is one of the best. If it were my computer, I would trust it. Rarely have I seen any false positive.

You have an option to create an entire image of your computer if you doubt what it has found.

You can create a restore point too, which contains registry info, before allowing MBAM to quarantine the files

You can scan using another program such as Emsisoft Emergency Kit Download. Though it doesn't mention Windows 10 it will probably work in 10 as it

doesn't actually install....standalone.

You can get an expert opinion by asking for help in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum. You will need to follow instructions in the Preparation Guide.

Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 ceoff

ceoff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:11 PM

Welcome to BC !

MBAM is one of the best. If it were my computer, I would trust it. Rarely have I seen any false positive.

You have an option to create an entire image of your computer if you doubt what it has found.

You can create a restore point too, which contains registry info, before allowing MBAM to quarantine the files

You can scan using another program such as Emsisoft Emergency Kit Download. Though it doesn't mention Windows 10 it will probably work in 10 as it

doesn't actually install....standalone.

You can get an expert opinion by asking for help in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum. You will need to follow instructions in the Preparation Guide.

Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and trust it. Thanks!

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:52 PM

Okay...please let me know if there is a problem or if you want further recommendations.

You should run some more scans or start a new Topic in the Malware Removal Forum. It's possible MBAM removed all threats but that is not the norm for just

one program to do it all.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users