Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Splitter for Modem or Other Solution

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BruceML

BruceML

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:56 PM

My roommate and I have a PC (his) and I have my laptop. The modem connected to his PC is a Motorola Wireless Surfboard SBG900. I would like to know how I can connect my laptop to his modem using an ethernet connection. My laptop does have Wifi but what I will be using it (my laptop) for requires me to plug in the ethernet cable. Both machines are in the same room and desk. Some have told me I can use a splitter also a router. I don't know much about these as I am not too computer savvy :( I was given a Linksys E1550 Wireless-N Router with SpeedBoost but have no idea how to use this or if I even need it...it's still in the box. I have done some research, checked out Amazon and honestly, it's just all very confusing with all of the different information out there. I only want a simple, easy answer(s) to this issue. If I do need a splitter, please recommend any that you know of that would of course be compatible with the modem I mentioned and needless to say something affordable. Also, if I need to use the router, how and what needs to be done. I would really appreciate any and all suggestions, recommendations, and tips. This is the best way that I can explain this small issue as I've never had to do this before and am quite confused as to how to go about it. Please let me know if you require anymore information and i'll be happy to provide it. Thank you in advance.

Edited by BruceML, 26 June 2015 - 12:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:56 AM

A router is the device you need.  Connect the cable going to your roommate's machine to the WAN port on the router.  Power cycle or reset the modem.  Connect your machines via the LAN connections, or via wireless.

Make sure that you change the default password on the router.

#3 BruceML

BruceML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:44 PM

Done! So far so good. Thank you for your reply.

Edited by BruceML, 26 June 2015 - 01:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users