Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Mediapipe, Movieland

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 leasa

leasa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:16 PM

hi everyone,
I hope that someone here knows about that malware called mediapipe or movieland. I first found it about 3 months ago and spent alot of time and research getting rid of it. I was able to delete most of the words they use and thought my computer was clean finally. Since then I have purchased panda titanium 2006, spybot, hitmanpro, adaware,and a few other free ones. The other day I noticed my computer getting slow and choppy again so I found spyware doctor on the web. Well it scans for free but you have to pay to get rid of what they say that you have. And what they said was that i had some malware associated with mediapipe called "weird on the web" it said that is was a "loader" for mediapipe. I inturn ran my whole arsenal of virus protection, spyware and adware stuff and the only one that found anything was that spyware doctor. So, my question is why didn't panda find it or at least another of the at least 10 other ones i have? Do you think spyware doctor is worth a shot? I did find a number of fun web things listed on my c drive. I hope you can tell me what to do next,cause I am at a loss. I spend more time getting rid of bad files than enjoying my computer!.....Leasa

(Moderator edit: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 08 July 2006 - 09:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:40 AM

Movieland installs a number of files that allow it to keep popping up requests for payment (which you may or may not have unwittingly agreed to when clicking "run" or an advertisement on a web page without reading the terms of service). According to Movieland's website and MediaPipe's EULA (End User License Agreement), Movieland reserves the right to continue to charge the user even if he has uninstalled the software. You will see continual pop-up warnings that increase in frequency informing you that your trial is expired.

MediaPipe requires the user to visit a website to cancel the "trial obligation." See here and here.

You should not remove the MoviePass software before you call to discontinue service and cancel the account they have open for you. If you have the MoviePass pop-ups, most likely they have an account for you, and somehow got billing information. They will require a number from their software to deactivate your account. DO NOT give them any additional personal information. Removing the Moviepass TV software will NOT stop them from charging you.

If you do not cancel your account with MoviePass/MediaPipe, you will be billed for an entire year of service (the price varies, but could be as much as $359.88 USD). Further, reports indicate that if you refuse to pay, dispute the charges on your credit card, or cancel in any way that is not in accordance with the MoviePass/MediaPipe cancellation policy, this can have an adverse impact on your credit report. If you have already paid money to this company, it is IMPERATIVE that you follow their directions and cancel your account immediately. To cancel your account, please call MoviePass about their MediaPipe software toll free at: (866) 431-7720 or 001 866 431-7720 from outside the US.

This may not be reliable, so you are doing this at your own risk. Alternatively, The Moviepass Terms of Service state "You can cancel your MoviePass™ Membership at any time by going through the Customer Service page located here.

If you are sure that this company has no contact or billing information for you, and that someone in your household did not give them this information, go ahead and remove the software.

Remove MoviePass Mediapipe Software
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users