Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP ME! Can't access Windows 7 after dual booting with Ubuntu 15.04 64 Bit

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:09 PM

Today I decided to dual boot both Windows 7 64 Bit with Linux Ubuntu 15.04 64 Bit and Ubuntu works well but I can't go back to Windows 7 after I installed it. I wish to get a menu like this-
Select Operating System to boot-
1 Windows 7 (64 Bit).
2 Ubuntu 15.04 (64 Bit).
Please tell me if there is a way to fix it and to make it so that I could use both operating systems on 1 hard drive and please give me the best helpful response that all of you can offer.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 June 2015 - 08:00 PM.
moved from Linux How-To and Tutorial Section

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

Obvious question, but did you make sure you installed Ubuntu to a separate partition?

As long as you didn't write over Windows try running this:

sudo update-grub

More than likely when grub got installed it didn't pick up the Windows partition correctly. Try running the above command, it should find your Windows install.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:34 PM

Obvious question, but did you make sure you installed Ubuntu to a separate partition?

sudo update-grub
More than likely when grub got installed it didn't pick up the Windows partition correctly. Try running the above command, it should find your Windows install.
Actually I saw some guy on YouTube do it and I did exactly what he did and I set up the Partition manually and hopefully I did not cause any damage to Windows in the process. Also do I type that in the Terminal?

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:01 AM

do I type that in the Terminal?

Yes, in Ubuntu, you would type that in your terminal. It will update your boot-manager's menu-entries (hopefully then Windows will appear).

I set up the Partition manually and hopefully I did not cause any damage to Windows in the process.

If after running the previously stated command you still cannot boot into Windows I would suggest adding a screenshot, or terminal output of your hard-drive partitions. It will be a huge asset to anyone who trys to help. To do so, open your terminal and type "sudo parted -l", highlight all the text in your terminal, right-click, copy the text, then on Bleeping Computer click the <> button to make a codebox, and paste the text from your terminal into it so you can add it to your post. You might also provide a link to this youtube video you mentioned.

Until you have fixed this issue I suggest downloading SuperGrub2Disk, and burning it to a disc. It should be able to boot you into Windows 7 and Ubuntu. It will not fix your issue, but you can use it temporarily to access both operating systems while you wait for your current issue to be solved. :) It's an invaluable tool.

#5 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:29 PM

sudo update-grub
Thank you for helping me out. I opened up the Ubuntu Terminal and typed this and now when I boot my PC it let's me choose between Ubuntu and the Windows 7 loader and now I can access both operating systems and no data was lost in the process. I appreciate everyone's help and now because you helped me my problems now fixed. Once again thank you.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,596 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

I love this Bleeping website. Lots of friendly people always ready to help.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:58 PM

sudo update-grub
Thank you for helping me out. I opened up the Ubuntu Terminal and typed this and now when I boot my PC it let's me choose between Ubuntu and the Windows 7 loader and now I can access both operating systems and no data was lost in the process. I appreciate everyone's help and now because you helped me my problems now fixed. Once again thank you.

Great news! Glad to be of help!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users