Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Glitchy Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aRoomInAhti

aRoomInAhti

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:24 PM

Hey guys. So today, after getting off for 2 hours, I came back to a glitchy keyboard. When I tried to type "This is a" I ended up typing "Fhisx fiksx az" Wtf??? I'm typing from from an external keyboard at the moment, and every time I try to type something, a key will spam itself and create a line of f's, or g's, or whatever letter. External keyboards work fine, as mentioned before.

Also, some keys just don't work, and I've tried restarting multiple times.

Lenovo G505s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312829

EDIT: Now the left half of my keyboard flat out doesn't work, while the right side is perfectly functional for the most part. I don't get any weird b spams or anything of the sort.

Edited by aRoomInAhti, 26 June 2015 - 01:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:00 PM

Are you quite certain that an external keyboard is working properly ?  I just wanted to clarify this because from the way you have it phrased in the OP this is not clear !

Having, as I do a nasty suspicious mind, is there any chance anything got spilled on this laptop's keyboard ?  The alternative is that the keyboard drivers have gone pear shaped, which is reasonably easy to try a basic fix on. You need to get to the control panel.

In Win 8, go to the top tight hand corner and find search among the 'charms', type 'Control' (without the quotes) and control panel should be at the top of the list. In win 8.1, on the desktop, press the windows button on the keyboard you are using and then select 'Control panel'

Click on 'Control panel' then 'System' then 'Device manager'. Look for the entry that says 'Keyboard', expand it necessary, right click on the entry for the laptop keyboard - this brings up the 'Properties' panel. Select the 'Drivers' tab and delete the keyboard driver(s). Then shutdown the computer, remove the USB keyboard if it is still connected and re-boot. The keyboard drivers will re-install as the computer boots. If it is a driver problem,  this should fix it. If it doesn't, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 aRoomInAhti

aRoomInAhti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 05:04 PM

Are you quite certain that an external keyboard is working properly ?  I just wanted to clarify this because from the way you have it phrased in the OP this is not clear !

Having, as I do a nasty suspicious mind, is there any chance anything got spilled on this laptop's keyboard ?  The alternative is that the keyboard drivers have gone pear shaped, which is reasonably easy to try a basic fix on. You need to get to the control panel.

In Win 8, go to the top tight hand corner and find search among the 'charms', type 'Control' (without the quotes) and control panel should be at the top of the list. In win 8.1, on the desktop, press the windows button on the keyboard you are using and then select 'Control panel'

Click on 'Control panel' then 'System' then 'Device manager'. Look for the entry that says 'Keyboard', expand it necessary, right click on the entry for the laptop keyboard - this brings up the 'Properties' panel. Select the 'Drivers' tab and delete the keyboard driver(s). Then shutdown the computer, remove the USB keyboard if it is still connected and re-boot. The keyboard drivers will re-install as the computer boots. If it is a driver problem,  this should fix it. If it doesn't, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

External keyboards work fine, I'm using one right now :P

I've already tried uninstalling the drivers :/ It appears to be hardware related. I've replaced my hard drive before, given this, would that justify be trying to fix th keyboard myself?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:47 PM

Keyboards are cheap:  https://www.google.com/search?q=Lenovo+Laptop+G505s&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Lenovo+Laptop+G505s+keyboard&tbm=shop

It depends on your technical ability and a bit of experience taking apart laptops won't hurt either.

You can find instructions here:  https://www.google.com/search?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DLenovo%2BLaptop%2BG505s%26ie%3Dutf-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%23q%3DLenovo%2BLaptop%2BG505s%2Bkeyboard%26tbm%3Dshop&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Lenovo+Laptop+G505s+keyboard+replacement

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:13 PM

Since you are quite happy that your keyboard drivers are OK, then go with Usama's suggestion. It would have been my suggested next step anyway. It's just that I prefer to try quick and/or easy checks first before I suggest going to the lengths of pulling a laptop keyboard out !

Run through any of those videos and see what is involved, then see if you can borrow another computer so you can pause the video after each step,

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users