Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore..Alternative !...

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:21 PM

Saw it mentioned in THIS TOPIC,

The blurb/homepage can be found HERE

It sounds good....although i note that various users have had 'problems' with it....I am not sure if there were underlying problems already exisiting on their PC's....

Comments

Suggestions

Recommendations

Criticisms

Bouquets

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:20 PM

That does make it a good software. Rollback Rx takes encrypted backups, and will also allow new files to stay once an older image is loaded. Blending old and new and not letting the state go is mighty impressive.  But Rollback cannot backup specific files, so I also used free easeus todo backup. In this way, my system and files and applications are all secure.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:41 PM

I installed version 10.3.......and so far all seems well.

I did notice that upon rebooting to complete the install, windows update notice came up in the taskbar telling me there were several updates available ....I have windows updates turned off, and the icon disabled in the taskbar....and i believe there is no such thing as coincidence.....so I am keeping an eagle eye on the whole thing.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:55 AM

http://blog.horizondatasys.com/goodbye-cryptolocker-hello-even-worse-ransomware/

http://blog.horizondatasys.com/why-rollback-rx-snapshots-cannot-be-touched-by-cryptoransomware/

Edited by Condobloke, 27 June 2015 - 05:00 AM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 LAFITE

LAFITE

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:26 PM

Why am I not able to restore my computer to the date I want?

I am prompted only for two "restore points."

I have a problem that began three days ago when I downloaded a program that was not what it was supposed to be. I have taken care, I believe, of most of the issues, but still getting video ads from Nissan, Infiniti and ?I

would very much appreciate your HELP.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:20 PM

RollBack Rx Home Edition Free is available for those still using Windows XP,
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 05:28 PM

Other Options:

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:34 AM

Be ready to face issues with Malwarebytes if you use Rollback Rx (it'll detect it's own drivers as rootkits).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:13 PM

It's not the first time legitimate software has been detected as a rootkit.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:16 PM

It's not that. It's Malwarebytes that detects its own drivers as rootkits, and it's because of Rollback Rx.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:21 PM

To date, that has not happened. Your experience may be with an earlier version. The current version is 10.3

I have had Rollback Rx installed for 4 days, and have noted no hiccups at all.

I have Malwarebytes set to run every day, and update every 2nd day

My AV (Avira) runs a scan every 5 days and updates each day

I find this programs ability to defeat crypto/ransomeware more than interesting.....

Is it possible that the solution to a problem that so many users have is sitting here staring them in the face ?????.....and its FREE ...!!!!???

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:31 PM

EZRecoveryCard gives you total protection of the computers. http://www.ezrecoverycard.com

After installing it into a free PCI expansion slot and simply rebooting, the computer becomes protected against unexpected wrong operation and viruses, now you can try many dangerous operations (delete, format, fdisk, uninstall, etc.). With a simple reboot, the destroyed system will be backup and recovered to the normal status.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

EZRecoveryCard is quite likely a superior product....it also comes with a price tag attached...depending on the state of your 'hip pocket nerve' it may be a viable alternative.

Update: Rollback Rx....Malwarebytes (mbam) updated to the current version (2.1.8.1057), and as predicted in aura's post, mbam promptly detected its own drivers as "threats".

Uninstalling Rollback Rx, Rebooting and then reinstalling solved that little hiccup. This is caused by the manner in which Rollback Rx caches file information.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:17 PM

Well glad to see that there's a way to go around it.

unite_blue.png

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:07 PM

FEEDBACK.

I am seriously ticked off.

I tested the ability of rollback to perform its stated task....and it did so without any qualms.

I then remembered I was going to do a defrag on this pc.....It has never been done.

I soon discovered that defrag is not an option while rollback rx is installed...despite the opening paragraphs HERE    

I attempted to defrag using 5 different toos, including windows own......and none of these would work.

I then attempted to uninstall Rollback rx.....and OMG !!!!.....their instructions  HERE   would lead you to believe it is a simple process.

It is not.

I elected to keep the current state of my pc and uninstall the rest.

The "uninstall" ran for close to 30 minutes   !!!.....i was unsure whether to stop this process for fear of causing damage...

My pc rebooted at the finish of this process and i was left with :

Disc Read Error  Press Ctrl, Alt, Delete to restart

and this continued in an endless loop.

The pc exhibited the signs of data corruption.

Despite the fact that it is a few years old....THIS  article has similarities....

Which tells me that Rollback Rx still has some homework to do.

Any representatives of Horizon DataSys reading this ???/

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users