Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All AT&T complaints!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:53 PM

4459984061.png

This is the fastest I've ever gotten, which is pretty sad!

Edited by gigapouch, 25 June 2015 - 05:54 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:04 PM

That is really sad. I thought mine was a little sad at 16/5, but I stand corrected.

#3 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

That is really sad. I thought mine was a little sad at 16/5, but I stand corrected.

And I live in the Silicon Valley and yet I have that speed. Now that's sad.

And the scary part of it all is that we pay $180 a month for it as part of a bundle.

Edited by gigapouch, 25 June 2015 - 08:56 PM.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

Did you ever check what speed you are paying for? Have you talked to them about how slow it is? I know even here you can get some pretty sad internet speeds. My ex-wife was paying for 7Mbps(usually clocked in about 5Mbps), her son wasn't too happy with that.

#5 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

Did you ever check what speed you are paying for? Have you talked to them about how slow it is? I know even here you can get some pretty sad internet speeds. My ex-wife was paying for 7Mbps(usually clocked in about 5Mbps), her son wasn't too happy with that.

I've tried to convince my parents to get a faster connection with a bundle for a lower price (who would turn that down?) but they don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a new router and all that "fun" stuff.

I guess we're paying for 6mbps but for a basic bundle (It took me an afternoon to download an 800mb file), $180 a month is quite ridiculous.

EDIT: Now I'm getting 5mbps after changing the frequency channel but that's still a sad speed.

Edited by gigapouch, 27 June 2015 - 12:20 PM.

#6 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:42 AM

AT&T offers a few internet connection options, do you have:

U-verse High Speed Internet Support  :http://www.att.com/esupport/main.jsp?cv=812

@ U-Verse with AT&T GigaPower :http://www.att.com/esupport/gigapower/

@ DSL High Speed Internet : http://www.att.com/esupport/main.jsp?cv=801

• (IMO not Dial-up Internet, however it's still available!)
  • AT&T provides this link to establish your internet speed:  http://www.att.com/speedtest/
  • Once you have established exactly what internet connection you are paying for, you can then further trouble shoot your lack of speed.
  • A nice feature about AT&T, is that you create a custom bundle.  TV upgrades are more important for some, while others would prefer basic TV with the GigaPower internet

Self Edit for composition clean up

Edited by softeyes, 29 June 2015 - 11:44 AM.

#7 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:54 AM

I have DSL "High Speed" Internet.

And I have already optimized my connection as best as I could, and like I said:

I've tried to convince my parents to get a faster connection with a bundle for a lower price (who would turn that down?) but they don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a new router and all that "fun" stuff.

I guess we're paying for 6mbps but for a basic bundle (It took me an afternoon to download an 800mb file), $180 a month is quite ridiculous.

EDIT: Now I'm getting 5mbps after changing the frequency channel but that's still a sad speed.

I looked at the GigaPower plans, and for $180 a month you get 1 gigabit Internet, plus TV and voice. Our current plan is $180 a month for 6mbps Internet, and TV and voice.

Plus, neither Gigapower Internet or FiOS is available to me even though I'm in the Silicon Valley.

Edited by gigapouch, 29 June 2015 - 12:01 PM.

#8 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:34 PM

Guess you need to talk to your parents!  When you can pay the bills, all of the fast and wonderfulness you want can be all yours!

Edited to mention:  We have AT&T U-verse and with any complaint, nothing's too small as I have an 19 year old  son who is a computer science major (!)

He calls and within hours we have a technician at the house.  If they are late, do not show or appear to be not competent, he manages a refund!

If a 19 year old can do it...I'm sure you can too!  Get on their back if you are not getting what you are paying for.  Your parents will think you're beyond brilliant! 

Edited by softeyes, 29 June 2015 - 07:36 PM.

#9 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:25 PM

Guess you need to talk to your parents!  When you can pay the bills, all of the fast and wonderfulness you want can be all yours!

Edited to mention:  We have AT&T U-verse and with any complaint, nothing's too small as I have an 19 year old  son who is a computer science major (!)

He calls and within hours we have a technician at the house.  If they are late, do not show or appear to be not competent, he manages a refund!

If a 19 year old can do it...I'm sure you can too!  Get on their back if you are not getting what you are paying for.  Your parents will think you're beyond brilliant! 

Um, we are getting what we are paying for but the thing is there are other plans for $180/month that have waaaaaay faster Internet. BTW, I'm 13. My parents just don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a new router and ISP and all that good stuff. And they don't want to hear from me anymore about it, so I guess there's nothing else I can do.  :mellow:

Edited by gigapouch, 29 June 2015 - 08:25 PM.

#10 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:32 PM

Wow..for a young man at age 13, I think that you are really smart! I guess you have that 'thud' of knowing what's out there, how to get it yet, you have an obstacle.

If I might suggest you ask for permission to have a technician come out, you just never know.  Perhaps your current router is old, has bad connectors that are slowing down

the pipe? Maybe you need new Ethernet cables?? One bad wire can be a bother. Tell you folks you'll be the go-to for the meeting and they will not have to worry?

Most of all gigapouch, congratulations on your ability to be so tech savvy!  I had no idea we could be 13 and join a forum!  That's how old I am!!

Edit:  P.S.  How do you know about the famous Pinto!!!  :hysterical:

Edited by softeyes, 29 June 2015 - 10:32 PM.

#11 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:09 AM

Wow..for a young man at age 13, I think that you are really smart! I guess you have that 'thud' of knowing what's out there, how to get it yet, you have an obstacle.

If I might suggest you ask for permission to have a technician come out, you just never know.  Perhaps your current router is old, has bad connectors that are slowing down

the pipe? Maybe you need new Ethernet cables?? One bad wire can be a bother. Tell you folks you'll be the go-to for the meeting and they will not have to worry?

Most of all gigapouch, congratulations on your ability to be so tech savvy!  I had no idea we could be 13 and join a forum!  That's how old I am!!

Thank you! We have replaced our router twice since we got the plan in '07.  I think our cables are OK our speed is now back to normal.

P.S. I'm also car-savvy. I can tell the make and model of a car from 100 ft away, and sometimes even the model year, except for the confusing letter-and-number models used by Mercedes, BMW and some other luxury brands. I even already know my dream car (it's the first one listed in my signature). Hehe  :hysterical:

Edited by gigapouch, 30 June 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#12 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

Thank you! We have replaced our router twice since we got the plan in '07.  I think our cables are OK our speed is now back to normal.

P.S. I'm also car-savvy. I can tell the make and model of a car from 100 ft away, and sometimes even the model year, except for the confusing letter-and-number models used by Mercedes, BMW and some other luxury brands. I even already know my dream car (it's the first one listed in my signature). Hehe  :hysterical:

Amazing information for a 13 year old guy.... :idea:

#13 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:04 PM

:lol:

#14 Sharol

Sharol

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:52 PM

4711249991.png

This is normal for me. Unfortunately, this is what I rely on for WiFi too. It gets painfully slow.

Edited by Sharol, 01 October 2015 - 11:55 PM.

#15 gigawert

gigawert

Computer Consultant

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:02 AM

Your ISP is Century Link, actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users