Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless speeds

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding wireless internet speeds.  I currently have the Comcast Blast (50/10) package and it works great.  On my wired computer I always average 60/9 or so speeds.  However, on all of my wireless computers I only average about 20/6 or so.  I have an older D-Link DIR-655 router, and I am wondering if a new router might help a bit.  The newest computer I have has an 802.11ac card but it too performs the same.  Would a new router (possibly dual-band) help, or are those speeds somewhat typical for wireless?

Thanks for your help  :thumbup2: 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:25 PM

I'd imagine a new AC router would be faster but I'm not sure how much. If you have the $$ to replace it then go for it. If not wait for the router to start having issues and then upgrade.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:58 PM

Don't forget, wireless is half duplex. Wired is full duplex.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:30 AM

What modem do you have? (manufacturer and model number)

#5 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:36 AM

Hi all,

Well, it's almost unbelievable to me.  I was reading on How-To Geek about various router setting, and I read that running in WPA-only mode could slow down Wi-Fi connections.  Sure enough, I switched to WPA2-PSK and my speeds quite literally doubled!  I couldn't believe it.  Have a look at my screenshot.

Thanks for all of your help. :clapping: 

Attached Files

#6 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding wireless internet speeds.  I currently have the Comcast Blast (50/10) package and it works great.  On my wired computer I always average 60/9 or so speeds.  However, on all of my wireless computers I only average about 20/6 or so.  I have an older D-Link DIR-655 router, and I am wondering if a new router might help a bit.  The newest computer I have has an 802.11ac card but it too performs the same.  Would a new router (possibly dual-band) help, or are those speeds somewhat typical for wireless?

Thanks for your help  :thumbup2: 

You are actually getting really fast speeds. You would appreciate 20/6 speeds when you have a 5/0.75 connection. ;)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users