Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 64bit running incredibly slow and programs stop responding

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 twintone

twintone

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:25 PM

This may be a bit of a challenge, but I am trying to help my parents fix their computer remotely. All I know is that apparently the computer started running very slow 2 days ago, and they can't do much of anything.

I have TeamViewer installed to help them with issues from time to time, and I have spent close to 3 hours on this now. 

Computer is a Toshiba laptop with AMD E-300 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics 1.30GHz, 1024KB Level 2 cache / 2GB RAM (I swear it had 4GB, but is showing only 2GB) and a 300GB HDD. Running Win 8.1 64Bit.

In any event, I have run a full virus scan (Viper) and a full scan with Malwarebytes and neither detected anything.

However, I can barely get around on the computer. If I open chrome, I get the page crash error, or it just loads ultra slow and I get a "not responding" message.

I attempted to get into msconfig.exe which took an enormous amount of time (like 4 minutes) and once I did, I looked at what was starting up at start up. Nothing unusual there.

I attempted to do a scan on the hard drive, and it said I didn't need to do one as Windows detected the drive as ok. I ran one anyway, and after 10 minutes or so it told me Windows couldn't determine a problem, and a full scan was needed. I passed on doing that for now as it will want to reboot, and scan before any remote software can load where I will be able to monitor it.

Even getting into task manager was a major challenge. Once I did get in, I didn't really see anything unusual other than CPU and Disk activity were very high.

Another issue that is happening is I went into file explorer, and was trying to delete about 18MB of temp files, and when click delete files, the progress box pops up and just sits there doing nothing.. after 10 minutes or so it was at 0% and said it was going to be approximately 1 year to finish the delete.

Makes me think there is a HDD issue, but also the system only showing 2GB of RAM has me concerned. Either it had 4GB at one point, and a 2GB chip has died.. or it always had 2GB of RAM (which seems crazy low to run Win 8) but maybe it's possible. In any event, prior to the other day, the laptop has always run fine for them. They don't do much other than check email, and maybe light video streaming, and Facebook.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is incredibly frustrating to work on.

Edited by twintone, 25 June 2015 - 01:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:02 PM

I do a lot of work remotely be it via RA or TeamViewer for  clients & others.  Sometimes there is a limitation on what can be done remotely.  Anyway, that said...

1. I advise, initially the RAM should be checked, even swapped out w/ new.  It would be silly for a 64-bit machine to have less the 4GB RAM since an x86 can't/doesn't use more than about 3-3.5GB, x64 will.
2. Is the HDD making any unusual noises.
3. How much free space is on the drive.
4. What events  or activity was there 2 days ago?
5. Do a System Restore.
6. If #5 changes nothing, put it back to Factory.
7. If #6 changes nothing then it is, indeed, a hardware issue.
8. How old is the laptop?

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

#3 twintone

twintone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

Thank you for your input Drew.

1. I advise, initially the RAM should be checked, even swapped out w/ new.  It would be silly for a 64-bit machine to have less the 4GB RAM since an x86 can't/doesn't use more than about 3-3.5GB, x64 will. I agree, but this isn't really an option at the moment as they are 500 miles away, and not something they could do.

2. Is the HDD making any unusual noises. No unusual noises reported. However, can't be 100% sure as I am not there.
3. How much free space is on the drive. Plenty of space left on the drive. Roughly 160GB
4. What events  or activity was there 2 days ago? Updated "Real Player" which appears to have install Skype, and Answers tool bar. I removed both Skype and the tool bar. 
5. Do a System Restore. I am actually running that now since so little has changed. Went back back to the 18th. 

Hopefully the restore will do the trick. Guess I don't like doing that unless it's a last resort.. which I am pretty much at right now.

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:39 PM

Ok; will look forward to hearing more following that.

#1. That's what I reckoned & why I mentioned the limitations of remote work.
#2. Was thinking they might put an ear to it & tell you if any clicking or grinding detected.
#3. Well, certainly not a factor then.
#4. It needs Real Player??  No Toolbars, yes but, Skype should present no problems.
#5. Comes a point sometimes where one has no choice or it's the best step or a good step in narrowing things down.

The other thing I might have suggested before (moot point now what w/ Sys Restore) would be to run CHKDSK /r/f

Anyway, maybe you will keep me posted.

Just a heads-up, too... assuming, for the moment it is not a hardware issue, Sys Restore may not do the trick & Reset to Factory may be necessary.  Sometimes Sys Restore is not enough.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 25 June 2015 - 04:00 PM.

#5 twintone

twintone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

Well, I ran the system restore back to June 18, and things seem to be back to normal. Honestly, it's still kind of slow (in my mind), but they are claiming it's back to normal. 2GB is crazy. Doing some research, I did find that 2GB is what it came with new. Yikes! Next time I am out their way, I will upgrade it to 8GB which is it's max.. that particular Toshiba is really easy to upgrade RAM on.

Thanks for the help.

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:45 PM

Well, I ran the system restore back to June 18, and things seem to be back to normal. Honestly, it's still kind of slow (in my mind), but they are claiming it's back to normal. 2GB is crazy. Doing some research, I did find that 2GB is what it came with new. Yikes! Next time I am out their way, I will upgrade it to 8GB which is it's max.. that particular Toshiba is really easy to upgrade RAM on.

Thanks for the help.

Well, that is certainly good news.  Additional RAM will, should help the speed.  It is , indeed, a bit silly having less than 4GB in a 64-bit machine.

You're welcome.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 25 June 2015 - 07:46 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

You didn't post the model of this Toshiba laptop.  Since I don't know what it is I don't have any way of finding out how many DIMM slots there are.  If this laptop has two slots I would suggest installing a matched pair of 4GB modules.  This will allow the RAM to be run in dual channel.  This effectively makes the RAM twice as fast.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

- I consider a memory of 2GB not enough for a Win 7 system, let alone, for a Win 8 system.

- Last Tuesday Microsoft released a bunch of updates. Perhaps those updates are the cause for a slow system, perhaps they weren't tested enough.

- But SPECCY will give us more details of the system with the problems.

Edited by Willy22, 26 June 2015 - 10:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users