Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading old computers-Business

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mrordinary

mrordinary

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:43 PM

I have always had a hobby with computers, but it has never amounted to more than that mostly because I am sure I am missing something.

I gave up building computers because I could not beat hp etc with their prices of computers mostly due to OS costs. However, I know many businesses that are thriving on second hand computers which originally had Vista, but now have Windows 8 Pro. As far as I know the versions are legit. They then sell a whole computer for $99. How do they do that? I would be in debt if I did that because the OS is usually that price and then you have to add office, etc.

Over the years I have had my hands on many computers from people that upgraded their computers etc. I then would scrap them for parts because I could not pay $100 + to add a new OS because no one would buy them.

I used to love getting my hands on Dells back with XP because I could use the reinstallation DVD and not have to enter any COA. (don't worry the computers had the COA of XP on them).

After XP i repaired computers using the partion backup of the OS, but if the HD was corrupted I could not repair. Is there a way to download an OS, burn to a CD and then use the COA of the computer? I know I am missing soething.

The way I figure it, this is how others are doing business:
1. They are using a Pro copy that has volume licensing? (but even then how much is it discounted?)
2. Could they possibly be using a reinstallation DVD for the OS? IE the computer was an XP machine, but now has Windows 7. (From my reading it does not look like that would result in a genuine copy because you would need to enter a COA after the bios does not recognize that OS for that computer)
3. There must be a free place to get all OS's to reinstall corrupt operating systems and then use the COA on the computer.

Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:04 AM

Although I don't see a question in your post, be careful.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:41 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

For Vista, Win 7 and - I believe - 8/8.1 if you have an install disc of the correct flavour to match what was installed on the computer and the computer has a valid COA you can use your install disc and the computer's COA to re-install the OS. By flavour I mean if the original install was Home Premium you must use a Home Premium disc, and similarly for Pro or any other version. You cannot upgrade an OS this way, merely replace the original.

I have heard reports of people using 'cracked' versions of install discs. You should NOT even consider going this route. First of all it is illegal, secondly almost all 'cracks' include malware and such like, and finally you are building up problems for your potential customers and your self.

Using the correct install disc and an existing COA may result in you having to phone MS - normally a free call - for authentication but they will usually consider this a repair and accept it.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 mrordinary

mrordinary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:27 PM

So then I am not missing anything at all. I am trying to do things legally and others are probably using a cracked OS? The computers I see out there on ebay and CL are 2004 computers or ones that predate 2011 and have windows7 or windows 8. For such an old computer it wouldn't maake sense to upgrade harrdware and software. Then only a few years later are sell the whole computer for $99. So I guess it is something illegal.

#5 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:18 PM

Dear Mrordianry;

You used to be able to get a copy of the ISO from digital river,which from my understanding was legal and legit, you just had to have your own software key. You cannot get the ISO from them anymore. You can get windows 7 from Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery, again have to have the software key. Not sure on other versions.

As far as them selling an old computer that had XP and now has 7/8. Commercial license CD for the OS(probably not for a $99 PC), or a cracked version. Old keys off dead machines for windows 7.

Jelerak

#6 mrordinary

mrordinary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:49 AM

Jelerak, Thank you for your answer. A commercial license would still expensive correct? I believe you are saying that the $99 computer is probably a cracked version?

So the you mentioned something about old keys off dead machines for windows 7...Those old keys would not go through on an old computer from 2004? Or would it still work because the COA on the side of the computer was not technically used?

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:18 PM

Dear Mrordianry;

You used to be able to get a copy of the ISO from digital river,which from my understanding was legal and legit, you just had to have your own software key. You cannot get the ISO from them anymore. You can get windows 7 from Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery, again have to have the software key. Not sure on other versions.

As far as them selling an old computer that had XP and now has 7/8. Commercial license CD for the OS(probably not for a $99 PC), or a cracked version. Old keys off dead machines for windows 7.

Jelerak

That link did not work for me. I got a 502 error.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:30 PM

@MrOrdinary Here is a link to a discussion on Windows licensing for repair that might help you a little.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500162/how-to-obtain-a-commercial-license-for-windows-7/

Leaglly you cannot use the OEM key from say an old HP laptop to a knew one. If the motherboard crashed on said laptop and you replaced it, a call to Microsoft could get the old key reactivated. But you never know what other people are doing.

@ RockyBennett  Link works fine for me in both my original post and your quote. Not sure why you got a error 502

Jelerak

Edited by Jelerak, 28 June 2015 - 02:37 PM.

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:14 AM

Link worked for me, here it is again in case there was some corruption in the link itself, the first time: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery .

Grateful for this thread.  I have some old OEM XP Home machines which I can't 'repair' via the XP Home disks I have.  In short, even when you have the disc, maybe it won't work to repair, so need some other mechanism.  Now that I can clone them, this step is largely outdated, but one should never rely on just one option for repair/backup/restore/reinstallation.  Thank you again for this thread.

Also, there are a number of machines sold on Ebay without hard drive, touted as being 'legal' anyway because the COA sticker is on the machine.  I don't see how that could be legal. If the hard drive which HAD the OS is removed, then the license is still 'attached' to that hard drive, so how can I use it legally?  I get jaywalking tickets*, so even the possibility of something being illegal is not desirable.

More importantly, why cheat MSFT out of its hard-earned efforts to make the OS?  Who can live with that?

I don't post this to accuse anyone, but just to state the better reason for ignoring subterfuge.  I really don't understand why someone would want to do such things.

*One 40 years ago in CA, and one 30 years ago in DC.  Figures.

Edited by brainout, 06 July 2015 - 01:20 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:21 AM

there are a number of machines sold on Ebay without hard drive, touted as being 'legal' anyway because the COA sticker is on the machine.  I don't see how that could be legal. If the hard drive which HAD the OS is removed, then the license is still 'attached' to that hard drive, so how can I use it legally?

The hard drive is simply storage, the OS installation and licence is not attached to it. For example, if the original hard drive in a system fails, it can be replaced and Windows re-installed using the COA product key associated with the computer system. The Windows licence is attached to the computer system itself, which in Microsoft's estimation is the combination of CPU and mainboard that the Windows installation was originally set up on. Peripheral components such as storage or video card can be changed or upgraded without affecting the legality of the licence (although some major changes could require re-activation).

So as long as the COA sticker on the machine refers to the CPU/mainboard within the case, there is a legal Windows licence and a purchaser can install Windows using it.

Also. where the licence condition is met, the OS can be installed (not only repaired) from any suitable genuine media, whether your own or borrowed (not burned copies unless they are the single backup media a licence may allow you to have made). If the type of installation doesn't match up, such as using Full Licence or Upgrade install media with an OEM product key, it will be necessary to obtain a manual one time installation code from Microsoft using the Phone Number that will be offered onscreen.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:20 AM

Thank you, Platypus!  So it's not illegal to sell such machines!  Thank you for the correction!

As for manual installation online with Microsoft, I had expected that to be a pain, when the auto installer couldn't read what I typed as my valid retail Win8 Pro product key (you know, that card in the box of the Win8 Pro retail tiny boxes).  Took some digging to find the number, but oh once I got in touch with MSFT representative 'Willam', he remoted to my machine, corrected whatever was wrong in its code (he told me it was an MSFT glitch, but I don't remember what kind), and I was properly activated!  Really great experience.

Thank you again!

Edited by brainout, 06 July 2015 - 06:23 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users