Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS laptop: Windows 10 cannot be installed?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:33 PM

System:  ASUS laptop K52F, Intel Core i3 CPU, M370 @ 2.40 GHz, 4GB RAM

Current OS:  Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit

When I click on the "Check your PC" in the "Get Windows 10" window, I get the message:

"Here's why Windows 10 can't be installed on this PC: The CPU isn't supported"

Not sure why this is true. Microsoft Windows 10 requirements is:

1 GHz processor & 2GB RAM (for 64 bit)

Can someone enlighten me as to why my laptop cannot take Windows 10?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

Hi GoshenBleeping :)

In order to install Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 on a laptop/computer, the CPU must be able to handle three other features: PAE, SSE2 and NX. If your CPU doesn't support one of these, Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 cannot be installed on it. It's also a possiblity that NX is disabled in your BIOS, or that your BIOS is running an outdated version. Hence my first troubleshooting step here would be to update the BIOS to its latest version, then run the compatibility check again.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

Aura,

I have numerous family computer systems (both desktops & laptops) running Windows 7, with varying Intel and AMD CPUs on each, and am interested in eventually upgrading them to Windows 10.

However, I am not familiar with the three features you mentioned above: PAE, SSE2, and NX.

Could you briefly explain what these features are and how one could check to see if their CPU and/or BIOS supported them?

Thanks.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:48 PM

Will, also, remind Win7 machines to be eligible must be 7 SP1, as well, as have suitable CPUs.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:54 PM

Torvald, these links below explains the differences between PAE, SS2 and NX in addition to sum up what they are.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/dn482072.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

And you can use Coreinfo to see if your CPU supports them.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users