Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchasing An Ultra-portable

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: SONY VAIO TX-770 vs. Dell XPS 1210 (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Which ultraportable is better?

1. The SONY (5 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. The Dell (3 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Schmetterling

Schmetterling

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:17 PM

Hey, guys. I am looking to buy an ultra-portable. I am currently a student and need something very light so as to be able to carry it on me at all times and not be burdened by it.

I will be using the notebook primarily for the creation of word processing documents and to store digital photographs and a LOT of music files. However, I also plan to play around with some video files and to store and watch movies. The main purpose, however, will be the creation and storage of word processing files - everything else is secondary perks.

I will need a fast and reliable Internet connection. I will also need enough memory to be able to store every-day class notes, many lengthy assignments, a large music library, and preferably movie files.

I need the notebook to be very small so that I can fit it in with my other stuff and not bother anyone working with it on the train, most likely holding it with one arm and typing with the other (yeah, school calls for such great comforts :thumbsup: ). So it has to be tiny and really light.

I will also need very long battery life.

I have done a lot of research and now can't decide between the following two models:

SONY VAIO TX-770
Link to Sony page

80 GB HDD
1 GB RAM (which I would upgrade to the max of 1.5)
Pentium M processor; 1.3 GHz
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 video card
11.1" screen
2.8 lbs
7.5 hours of battery life

and

Dell XPS 1210
(as I would configure it)
Link to Dell page

120 GB HDD
2 GB RAM
Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2500 (2GHz/667MHz FSB)
Either Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 or 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7400 TurboCache (do you think I would need the better video card for the things I plan to use the notebook for?)
12.1" screen
4.4 lbs
7.5 hours of battery life

(Side question: What's better, a 100GB 7200RPM HDD or a 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD? Why? Thanks!)

The Dell obviously has more impressive specs, but I'm not sure I would need all of that for simple Word documents, or even to watch movies. It is also considerably heavier and the weight really adds up with all my books. So while it is obviously better, I am not sure if I would even need all of those features. The VAIO is not altogether lacking in specs and is the perfect size/weight. Do you think the SONY would be suitable for my needs?

How much of a difference in speed/quality would I see between the two machines while using them for the aforementioned purposes?

Which one would you recommend for me? (Price doesn't matter)

Thank you so much for your help and please forgive the long post!

- Alisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Schmetterling

Schmetterling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:32 PM

A quick poll.

#3 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:06 PM

Well if im honest, i cant really give you an answer,reason being is that im a bit of a sony nut just because.

I have tried systems, and ive always come back to Sony. The laptop i currently have is a Vaio and does everything i need it too. But the Dell does look good and is more powerful and therefore if you want to use it in the future for more powerful programs then you will be fine,you need to bare that in mind, what you dont need it for now,may be exactly what you want to use it for in the future.Also,if you want to use it as a music sysytem,store all of your songs on, then that extra 40gig HD will come in nicely.

I dont want to throw a spanner in the works but Acer makes some great all round laptops too!

Just note,that with Sony you do pay for the name quite a bit,and if you have to pay for a repair to the screen on a Sony,it costs alot more than others.

They do keep there value though, i saw a second hand Sony Vaio (same system as mine,but with less specs and smaller HDs) only yesterday and it is was selling for £600 around $1,000 and its a couple of years old.

But with this being somthing you will be paying alot of your money for, I dont really want to sway you either way, as they say - its each to there own! i suggest going to the computer dealer and asking if you can trial both of them in store, you will soon get a feeling which feels right!

Good luck,whatever you choose!
:thumbsup:

Edited by graveangel, 08 July 2006 - 08:14 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#4 Schmetterling

Schmetterling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:43 PM

Thanks a lot for your response, graveangel! I do like Sony better myself, but all those specs on the Dell are so tempting... Plus I'm afraid the Sony is too fragile, and I plan on carrying it around everywhere.

By the way, I really like your icon.

- Alisa

#5 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

I know what you mean about the Sony being a little more delicate,but the carry cases they offer are good enough protection so dont let that put you off, as which ever you choose, i know you wont be throwing it around the room so i think that they only become delicate once you dont care for them.

Good luck with it though, let us know what you decide in the end!

Oh,and thanks for the Icon compliment!

:thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users