Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't save new Word docs or modify existing ones in my folders anymore

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 ajones2703

ajones2703

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

Hi Guy's

I did post this 9 days ago to be honest. Wasn't able to get a solution

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579624/permissions-issue-cant-modify-ms-words-docs-in-folders/#entry3735863

Since then I did a factory settings restore on my laptop out of desperation. It remedied the problems up until today when out of the blue the problem is back. Cannot modify documents in folders. Desktop folders or Library/documents folders. I can on desktop. So files not in folders are fine. I am transferring folders/docs back and forth from my memory stick, so is window's "inheriting" previous rules about folders and applying it to all folders? If so, how can I remedy? Believe me I've tried following loads of threads on file/folder permission stuff to no avail.

I did get some short-term help last time (like suggestions to drag doc on to desktop, modify it there, then drag back to folder). This works but I don't want to settle for never being able to sort this out.

I've again spent another 2 hrs today (honestly I have) on Google, searching around, including on this site. I've gone into loads of stuff about folders and permissions. Tried to take control etc. I've made sure I'm logged on as administrator (there is only one user account on here anyway I think). In terms of right clicking on folders and going into security, I think I've pretty much tried every possible formula now. 

No matter what advice I follow step-by-step about folder permissions, security and ownership, NOTHING works. 

I've done an AVG scan and also a MALWARE BYTES scan, nothing identified.

I'll stick to this forum for the time being, but last time I even posed same question on 3 or 4 other forums. No one has a solution to this? 

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2015 - 02:02 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Bus Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:59 PM

First read this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2663817

It helps you to determine what type of account you have. If you don't have the administrator account then you must activate the Administrator Account:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

I have a similar problem with saving files every time after a fresh (re-)install Win 7 PRO. Then I can't save files to e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)". I solve this problem by running Tweaking's Windows Repair. One of the repairs ("02-Reset File Permissions") changes those file permissions to such a state that I can save files in the afore mentioned folder.

Disable internet & Antivirus, make a backup with the program and run the program in Safe Mode.

#3 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:25 PM

Cheers Willy. I confirmed I am an administrator. 

I tried that tweaking window's repair before (about this very issue as I saw one of the repairs was reset file permissions) and after I ran it,  I then couldn't boot up, so ended up having to use the inbuilt Lenovo recovery tool. I had backed up all needed files anyway as a precaution. I'll try it in safe mode with internet and antivirus disabled as you suggest (if no other suggestions come in). I just want to see if anyone else has a suggestion. Thanks for yours though. 

What a pain this is. If I do try the tweaking window's repair, do I just save the tweaking programme to my memory stick, then boot up in safe mode and go from there in terms of running the repair? 

#4 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:47 PM

Learned something new just now. Using Mircosoft Word Pad in the folders is fine. I can save a new doc, modify it no problems with Word Pad. The problem is MS Word. In the past reinstalling MS Office 2013 has not solved this issue though! 

#5 NatalieGreen

NatalieGreen

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:50 AM

Disable Reading Mode and Protected View in Word 2013

#6 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:58 AM

Thanks Natalie. Tried this. Hasn't worked. Thanks for suggesting something though. No one has been able to solve this. 

I feel like just giving up on MS Office altogether, but also think "why should I have to"

There must be answer out there somewhere to this.....

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:14 AM

Your suggests that there's a conflict with some other (installed) program but WHICH program ?

#8 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:34 AM

Hi Willy. 

I've now found that Open Office docs (just downloaded Open Office) have no issues, even in the same folders. So what I have now is folders with a mixture of MS Word, WordPad and Open Office docs and the only one's that won't modify is MS Word. Same issue still with new MS word docs. I can only save them on the desktop and not in any folders!! 

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:25 AM

I did a factory settings restore on my laptop out of desperation. It remedied the problems up until today when out of the blue the problem is back.

Does this mean you did a system restore to revert the operating system to a previous date, or did you use the system recovery partition to reinstall the operating system?

Since Open Office seems to be working it looks like your copy of Windows Office may be corrupt.  Did you install Windows Office from a disc or download?

Are there any other problems with this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:30 AM

I did a factory settings restore on my laptop out of desperation. It remedied the problems up until today when out of the blue the problem is back.

Does this mean you did a system restore to revert the operating system to a previous date, or did you use the system recovery partition to reinstall the operating system?

Since Open Office seems to be working it looks like your copy of Windows Office may be corrupt.  Did you install Windows Office from a disc or download?

Are there any other problems with this computer?

Thanks for your reply

I did this one "the system recovery partition to reinstall the operating system?"

It's MS Office 2013 (also seems to be called 365). I download it directly from Microsoft. I'm a full-time student with a subscription to download until 2017 (up to four devices). I even uninstalled MS Office today and reinstalled again from the website. It doesn't change anything. Actually it's about the third time I have reinstalled MS Office now. 

#11 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:44 AM

Just to add something else. I've just tried saving and modifying MS PowerPoint in folders and no problem. So it seems to have an issue with Word but not PowerPoint stuff. 

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:18 AM

Try repairing MS Office.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then click on Control Panel.

In the Control Panel click on Programs and Features.

Click on the MS Office you want to repair, then click on Change.

Click on either Quick Repair or Online Repair.  

================

When you download MS Office 2013 are you using a good broadband connection?

I find it troubling that with several downloads and installations you are having the same corruption each time.  You might want to contact Microsoft, explain your problem and see if they will send you an installation disc to see if this can resolve the issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

I should have said what I've done. I did that about an hour ago after chatting online to MS staff. It has not remedied the problem (repair). I've actually done both repairs today, the "quick" one and the "online" repair.  This is a stubborn issue!! 

#14 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:50 AM

I'm wondering if a way around this is to just save everything onto One Drive? I just don't want to "give up" though. I feel violated! 

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

Did you ask Microsoft for a installation disc?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users