Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with MS OFFICE STARTER

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WacoJohn

WacoJohn

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

I have spent weeks trying to resolve the following problem:

Office Starter on a W7-32 bit machine.  It works fine there.  I used it to create a thumb drive which is supposed to allow me to transport it to other machines.

When I try to do that with either of my W8.1-64 machines, it fails miserably.

I have learned the following:

If not updated correctly on the W7 machine and the machine is upgraded to 8/8.1 .. I will lose Office Starter entirely.  The machine is designated to be upgraded to W10 any day now.  From what I can tell, there are no updates available/needed for this W7 update .. but I could be wrong.

When I try to run from thumb drive on W8.1 .. sometimes the machine reboots and other times it errors.  I don't want to try it in order to quote the errors ... too concerned about corruption on the 8.1 machines.

Don't know if it is important, but none of these machines have a Drive Q: local drive showing.

I have downloaded three files .. two from MS and one from a link found here in this forum.  I have not run either one.   They are:

click2run2010-kb2553141-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

click2run2010-kb2598285-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

Office-2010-Starter-Win8.1_Patch.exe

Instructions for EACH has been confusing and even contradictory ... and I am fairly sure how to implement these is the problem.

If anyone can help, appreciation comes in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MidnightShadow

MidnightShadow

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:40 PM

I would first ask if you absolutely must have the Office software. If the answer is no, there are plenty of alternatives out there, such as LibreOffice and OpenOffice, that are free. Another alternative is to simply use Office Online. Go to www.office.com and sign in or create a free account. Office online utilizes the latest version of office, and should do even more than the Office Starter that you're talking about.

In my past experience, Office Starter was horrible and, if it failed or corrupted, there was no way to reinstall it easily. For those reasons and more, I would go with an alternative listed above, personally.  :grinner:

#3 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:52 PM

I would first ask if you absolutely must have the Office software. If the answer is no, there are plenty of alternatives out there, such as LibreOffice and OpenOffice, that are free. Another alternative is to simply use Office Online. Go to www.office.com and sign in or create a free account. Office online utilizes the latest version of office, and should do even more than the Office Starter that you're talking about.

In my past experience, Office Starter was horrible and, if it failed or corrupted, there was no way to reinstall it easily. For those reasons and more, I would go with an alternative listed above, personally.  :grinner:

First, .. thank you for the kind reply.  The main reason I want to stay with Starter 2010 is that I support a website with many redirects to Word docx files.  LibreOffice, OpenOffice, etc are not 'quite' compatible enough.  They miss some formatting and font issues and other quirky problems.  The 'best' I have found is WPS Office .. but their full version is SUBSCRIPTION with a costly annual fee.  Their free ver will only produce .doc .... no .docx.

Further ... since Starter is SUPPOSED to work on 8.1 .. either with or without a thumb drive (more confusion on my part) .. would kind of like to use it that way.  It is just fine for my needs ... and with some procedural help .. I should be able to make it work ... I would think.

Thank you again ... immensely ... for your advice.  I may very well end up taking it.

#4 MidnightShadow

MidnightShadow

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:27 PM

First, .. thank you for the kind reply.  The main reason I want to stay with Starter 2010 is that I support a website with many redirects to Word docx files.  LibreOffice, OpenOffice, etc are not 'quite' compatible enough.  They miss some formatting and font issues and other quirky problems.  The 'best' I have found is WPS Office .. but their full version is SUBSCRIPTION with a costly annual fee.  Their free ver will only produce .doc .... no .docx.

Further ... since Starter is SUPPOSED to work on 8.1 .. either with or without a thumb drive (more confusion on my part) .. would kind of like to use it that way.  It is just fine for my needs ... and with some procedural help .. I should be able to make it work ... I would think.

Thank you again ... immensely ... for your advice.  I may very well end up taking it.

You are quite welcome! I definitely understand about note quite getting all of the formatting. I've stayed away from Office Starter as much as possible, in all honesty. Especially now that Office Online is available, it makes it much easier.

I didn't see you mention that, though. Have you looked into using that as the alternative? You can save it all to OneDrive, too, so that eliminates worrying about losing any files if your pc goes down. It sounds like you open the document right from the web site, is that correct? If so, then Word Online won't do that. You would have to download the file first, so that may make it more difficult... 

Here's what I dug up after reading over your post again. Maybe these will help a bit. It doesn't look like you can install it on Win 8, it must already have been installed and fully updated. I don't see anything about Windows 10 compatibility yet...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2742694

and 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2742695

#5 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:06 PM

You are quite welcome! I definitely understand about note quite getting all of the formatting. I've stayed away from Office Starter as much as possible, in all honesty. Especially now that Office Online is available, it makes it much easier.

I didn't see you mention that, though. Have you looked into using that as the alternative? You can save it all to OneDrive, too, so that eliminates worrying about losing any files if your pc goes down. It sounds like you open the document right from the web site, is that correct? If so, then Word Online won't do that. You would have to download the file first, so that may make it more difficult... 

Here's what I dug up after reading over your post again. Maybe these will help a bit. It doesn't look like you can install it on Win 8, it must already have been installed and fully updated. I don't see anything about Windows 10 compatibility yet...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2742694

and 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2742695

It is terribly confusing.  Almost makes dealing with it not worth it.  I can't figure out what all the instructions are actually saying ... and then there is the myth(?) that you can run Starter off W7 from a thumb drive ... which is actually my ultimate goal.  However .. I really can't follow the procedures ... some is here, some is there, .. but supposedly, it is possible.

The website has share links to .docx files hosted on OneDrive ... uploaded from Starter on the PC.  .  Even that is confusing .. I see WORD and WORD ONLINE when I right click on any of the docx files ... but have not used these options.  THEN, .. there is the pay for it Office 360.  Is use of Word Online free?????

Because of my responsibilities with the website, I have not elected to do anything other than what I know works best ... and that is docx files created (best) by WORD.  Maybe .. everything I need is sitting in front of my face ... it's just I am used to what I have been using ... and comfortable with.

Says very clearly ... create thumb drive and run Starter on 'any windows computer' ... but that goes way back to when Starter was offered ... what, W7?  Vista?  That would be a GREAT way for me to go ... if I could simply figure out the procedure(s).  

Going now to check out your links ... and thanks again.

EDIT:

Ahh yes  been to both those links several times.  Excellent examples of how confusing this is .. and that doesn't include the thumb drive option.  Throw that into the mix, and I am toast.

Google 'office starter windows 8.1 flash drive'  and there are many hits.  All confusing to me ... but all indicate it can be done.  I also got the feeling it is different for 8.1 than 8.0.  There is even a terrible youtube video of how it's done ,,, but it did not work for me ....   terrible narration. So close yet so far.

And finally, here is what is needed according to BLEEPING COMPUTER ... but no real 'instructions'

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/562296/patch-for-office-starter-to-work-on-windows-81/

Edited by WacoJohn, 25 June 2015 - 10:12 PM.

#6 MidnightShadow

MidnightShadow

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:58 AM

Yeah, I can see the confusion. I've never made a portable version of the software, but it sounds like it should be fairly straight forward. I'll have to try it today if I get some time to do so and if I can find a link to download the software from.

You already have it installed on your computer and it's fully updated, right? I would make sure that the patch located here --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2742695

is installed and then try the directions that are listed here --> http://www.blogsdna.com/5795/how-to-create-portable-office-2010-starter-usb-flash-drive.htm

Those are the steps that I'm going to try later on if I have the chance. If you beat me to the punch, let me know! :)

#7 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:11 AM

Sorry for the delay.  Here is all I really know:

W7-32 machine

All Programs list MS Office 2010 .. and folder Microsoft Office Starter (English).  Under that folder .. Excel, Word, Tools.  Under Tools Clip, Upload, Picture Manager, Starter to Go Device Manager.  There is no Drive Q:  Excrel and Word run 'fine'.

Excel and Word run fine.

W7-64

All Programs list MS Office 2010 .. and folder Microsoft Office Starter (English).  Under that folder .. Excel, Word, Tools.  Under Tools Clip, Upload, Picture Manager, Starter to Go Device Manager.  There is a Drive Q:  It was created when I TESTED the mount of the thumb drive.

Excel and Word run 'fine' from either HD or thumb drive ... from what I can tell.

W8.1 -64 ... two machines.

Machine 1.  No indication of MS OFFICE ... no all programs items, no Drive Q:  Have no idea what would happen if I mounted a thumb drive .. probably reboot or something.

Machine 2.  All Programs list MS Office 2010 .. and folder Microsoft Office Starter (English).  Under that folder .. Excel, Word, Tools.  Under Tools Clip, Upload, Picture Manager, Starter to Go Device Manager is a folder name (none) .... literally.  Clicking on (none) folder results in nothing. There is no Drive Q:  If I were to mount a thumb drive here .... machine would probably reboot.

I THINK I should do some uninstalling ... and get back to basics .. meaning uninstall everything that is uninstallable. ... get W7s back to out of box where office is concerned ... create new thumb drive ... etc etc ... but at this point, not even sure how to go about doing that.  Seem stranded on a sinking ship.

I am sorry this is such a mess. What is 'updated' and/or 'patched' .. I am not exactly certain.

#8 MidnightShadow

MidnightShadow

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:48 AM

Well, it sounds from your description at the top that you have already installed it on a flash drive if you can run it from the drive or the hard drive as you mentioned above. If that is the case, you should be able to plug that same flash drive into another computer and run the software. Note that it may not be the "Q:" drive on the next computer. The letter of the drive varies from one computer to the next.

#9 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:17 PM

Just got off phone w/ MS OFFICE support.  The outcome is just about what you originally said.  Remove Starter from  all my computers and purchase/install a different OFFICE product (home/student 2013 edition ..seems best choice for me though it is only 1 license)  Took remote access to remove Starter on just one of the 4 machines that are 'screwed up' by Starter nightmare.

I can only thank you profusely.  Thank you for your time and friendliness.

FWIW ...  Drive Q: is the ONLY drive letter Starter click to run will use. If it is not available, you have to make it available or click to run will not install.

Anyway ... hope I can get all this removed from the other computers.  Somehow, .. Silverlight is involved ... has to be uninstalled first ... GO FIGURE.  Then, .. HOPEFULLY the rest can  go .... before W10 happens .,,, it is reserved for all 4 machines.  THANK YOU AGAIN.

#10 MidnightShadow

MidnightShadow

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:12 AM

Glad to try to help out! Thanks for the information about the Q: drive. I'll definitely keep that in mind.  :thumbup2:

#11 geeksalive

geeksalive

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

These are the steps to install Office Starter 2010 on Windows 10 or 8.1, gleaned mostly from Salamanda UK's video:

0) Download everything:
The installer: http://www.snapfiles.com/downloads/officestarter/dlofficestarter.html  (downloads setupconsumerc2rolw.exe)
The Patch: http://cl.ly/142U130a1X12 (downloads Office-2010-Starter-Win8.1_Patch.zip which contains Office-2010-Starter-Win8.1_Patch.exe)
The Update: http://www.microsoft.com/en-my/download/details.aspx?id=40201 (downloads click2run2010-kb2598285-fullfile-x86-glb.exe)
Optional Bonus: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=13 (downloads PowerPointViewer.exe, and optionally an enormous service pack)

0.1) Some other people's instructions say to make sure you've got all Windows Updates installed before trying to install Office 2010 Starter.

0.2) Some other people's instructions say to install click2run2010-kb2553141-fullfile-x86-glb.exe first of all, but Salamanda UK does not mention that, and when I tried it it did nothing, because it said there was no program installed which required that update.
It is named: "Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553141) 32-Bit Edition" dated Feb. 14, 2012.
"This update provides the latest fixes for Office 2010 Click-to-Run. Additionally, this update contains stability and performance improvements."

0.3) You might want to back-up setupconsumerc2rolw.exe before the next step, since I think it gets modified by the patcher.

1) Run the unzipped patcher: Office-2010-Starter-Win8.1_Patch.exe

1.1) Select setupconsumerc2rolw.exe (the file to be patched)
It should say "successfully patched."

2) Right-click setupconsumerc2rolw.exe and run as administrator, to install Office 2010 Starter.
(It takes a while - you have to be connected to the Internet so it can download files.)
That should create the "Microsoft Word Starter 2010" and "Microsoft Excel Starter 2010" shortcuts, but they won't work yet.

3) Install the update: click2run2010-kb2598285-fullfile-x86-glb.exe to update the click-to-run applications.
(Otherwise you'll get "This program has compatibility issues" when you try to run Word or Excel.)
It is named: "Office 2010 update" dated September 10, 2013
"This update provides the latest fix for the 32-bit edition of Office 2010. Additionally, this update contains stability and performance improvements. "
My guess is that it supersedes KB2553141 but I don't know that for sure.

4) Reboot.

5) Optionally install PowerpointViewer (and perhaps the gigantic Office 2007 service pack to update it).

To see whether you've found correct versions of each file, compare to the lengths and CRC s in my .zip file archive:

Archive:  MSOffice2010_Starter_for_Win10.zip
 Length   Method    Size  Ratio   Date   Time   CRC-32    Name
--------  ------  ------- -----   ----   ----   ------    ----
   10542  Defl:X     3657  65%  07-18-17 07:27  c26622c4  installation_notes.txt
   17720  Defl:X    14567  18%  09-16-13 14:59  ffd366dd  Office-2010-Starter-Win8.1_Patch.exe
20240016  Defl:X 19206462   5%  07-18-17 06:05  5f0b3a99  click2run2010-kb2553141-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
26247808  Defl:X 25179866   4%  07-18-17 05:55  227fe49b  click2run2010-kb2598285-fullfile-x86-glb.exe
 1632144  Defl:X  1000388  39%  07-18-17 05:53  b62570ce  setupconsumerc2rolw.exe
63210976  Defl:X 63042529   0%  07-18-17 07:09  9ad932d8  PowerPointViewer.exe
--------          -------  ---                            -------
111359206         108447469   3%                            6 files

Edited by geeksalive, 18 July 2017 - 07:15 AM.

#12 WacoJohn

WacoJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

Mr. GeeksAlive,  I have not yet tried your advice, but I am sure it will work.  Simply want to thank you and Salamanda.  Very considerate of both of you, ... nice to regain something MS gave us and then took back.  Thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users