Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding and deleting files from System Restore and Recycle Bin

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:26 AM

I have been trying various ways to reduce the demands on my W8.1 Tablet's small (24 GB) SSD.  Among the  possibilities it seems are: deleting files from System Volume Information (ie. old Restore Points) and Recycle Bin.

Even though I have set the system to 'show hidden files' I cannot find the exact location of these two Folders and / or I am denied access to them if I do find them, even though I am in Administration.  Swift Search reveals that at least one Folder titled System Volume Information has over 5 GB and there are other Folders, whereas Recycle Bin is showing in excess of 95 GB --- despite the fact that the Bin is emptied usually at the end of every day.  If I could clean out a significant proportion (most) of these 'stored' files it would be a big help. 

So can someone advise me how to find the files, gain access, and delete many of them?

I would also welcome advice on the wisdom of doing what I propose to do and any pitfalls I might encounter.

clayto

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

Hi clayto :)

In order to access these folders, you also need to uncheck Hide protected operating system files (recommended) in the Folder Options. From there, you'll see the C:\$Recycle.Bin folder. You can delete everything in it. The best way to take care of the System Restore points is to right-click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select System, then go in Advanced System Settings and finally System Protection. From there, click on the Configure... button followed by Delete to delete all the System Restore points. You can even disable it so they won't be created anymore.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

This may help: http://www.windows8freedownload.com/blog/delete-restore-points-from-microsoft-windows-8/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:58 AM

It will, it's an article that explains exactly what I just posted :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:07 AM

Told you I was foggy and now late!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:09 AM

Time to take a good expresso to wake you up Phil! :P

unite_blue.png

#7 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:52 AM

From the blog above...

<snip>

Moreover, it is also strongly recommended that a Windows 8 computer should never be left without restore points. As soon as administrators find that no restore points are available, they should immediately create one.

<snip>

I agree with that statement, no computer should be left without restore points, or disabling restore points is not recommended.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#8 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:35 AM

Thanks everybody! --- all very helpful.

I get the impression Recycle Bin has a cache of deleted files which dont show up in the Bin itself but are available for a while if  there is a need to restore them.  Is this correct?

With regard to Restore Points I have no intention of deleting all of them. I always ensure there are 3, or at least 2 and check almost every day as (a) my Tablet only seems to keep 2 or 3 visible ones (my XP has a dozen or so)  and (B) I keep finding they have all gone.  I blamed CCleaner and its Drive Wipe for this for a time but I confirmed it was not its fault, so I dont know what causes it at present. I think I have read that there is a 'history cache' of deleted Points which are not visible but available if required, like the Recycle Bin. Is this right?  I have also seen it said that deleting Points does not save any space as Windows keeps a' set' amount for them (yes, I know how to customise this but have decided not to reduce it).

Fortunately I have a utility which creates new Points with one click, very easily, so I can keep updating them as necessary.

I found that my Tablet, when quite new, did not have Restore Points activated at all and there had been no Points for a couple of months -- I had assumed it was activated by default.  I dont know if this is a common situation or not, but I have warned some about the possibility in the past.

clayto

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

I get the impression Recycle Bin has a cache of deleted files which dont show up in the Bin itself but are available for a while if there is a need to restore them. Is this correct?

Nope. Everything that you delete goes straight in the Recycle Bin, there's no cache. However, it's possible for some deleted files to go in the C:\$Recycle.Bin folder and not in your Recycle Bin. Hence why they are taking space and hence why I suggest you to delete everything in it.

The reason you don't have a lot of restore points on your tablet might be because you only allow a small dedicated space to them. So if you allow them let's say 3GB, you'll have have 3GB worth of restore point (which could be 2 or 3).

unite_blue.png

#10 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:05 PM

<snip>
... Everything that you delete goes straight in the Recycle Bin, there's no cache. However, it's possible for some deleted files to go in the C:\$Recycle.Bin folder and not in your Recycle Bin. Hence why they are taking space and hence why I suggest you to delete everything in it.
...<snip>

Recycle Bin is located in a hidden directory named \$Recycle.Bin\%SID%, where %SID% is the SID of the user that performed the deletion. There are not two different locations where the files go... :huh:

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:03 PM

I know that. This is what I meant but I guess I worded it poorly. It means that if you have multiple users as well, you'll be able to see their recycle bin in C:\$Recycle.Bin, but it doesn't mean that they'll be displayed as SID. It happens when a special user or group deletes files/folders. Rarely when it's a local account.

unite_blue.png

#12 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 11:21 AM

I know about sending files straight to delete and by-passing the Bin but I do not opt to do that (it always seems prudent to have a bit of a breathing space).  But I did notice that quite a lot of deleted files of a particular type by-passed the Bin automatically recently --- I cant remember what they were --- perhaps it is files of this sort that have shown up in the Bin.

'3 GB equals about 2 or 3 Restore Points' seems about right.

clayto 

#13 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:25 PM

Where Oh where is the Recycle Bin Folder?   I have spent several hours today trying to find the Recycle Bin Folder!  I have set the system to display 'hidden items,' I have found C:/$Recycle.Bin listed in Swift Search.Clicking it takes me to where I can select 'open containing folder'. This contains other Folders none of which appears to have anything to do with the Recycle Bin, but I have now opened every one of them. None of them appears to have anything to do with the Recycle Bin. Nor does any other Folder or file ---I have opened many.

I have tried using Windows Search. It does not find anything on my computer, only webpages displaying metal bins, plastic bins and even digital ones -- but no help with finding my bin.  I know Microsoft does not want me to find my Recycle Bin Folder. It is doing a very good job.

Can you help me please, before I go bananas?  

clayto

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:13 PM

It's in C:\$Recycle.Bin. From there, you can see the Recycle Bins of every users, groups, services, etc. on your system (assuming they deleted data and needed to have a Recycle Bin). You need to uncheck Hide protected operating system files (recommended) in the Folder Options to see it.

unite_blue.png

#15 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:24 AM

W8.1 Tablet's small (24 GB) SSD.

.... Recycle Bin is showing in excess of 95 GB

I'm just curious -- you have a 24 GB SSD, yet you have 95 GB in the Recycle Bin...?

Don't attempt a manual deletion of Windows Restore points in System Volume Information folder; instead adjust System Restore down to bare minimum -

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-8-windows-rt-tutorials/10752-windows-system-restore-configure-restore-point-space-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 30 June 2015 - 02:25 AM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users