Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access my external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pond511

pond511

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:31 AM

I use 1TB WD passport external hard drive. It's not old (3-4 years I think). Suddenly one day I plug it into my computer as usual the light was on, the disk is spinning but I cannot access it from anywhere. disk management  show nothing but It's show the drive letter  (G) in my computer but not show any volume. sometimes it said that it need to format to get it working again. The drive made a little  --------  tik tik tik  -------- tik tik tik sound when it running (this is not usual and I thought that my hard disk have some mechanical problem).  The strangest thing is that when I unplugged it my Kaspersky miraculously found it and said that if I want to scan it. This is my setting to scan every device that I plug in. I found it in device management and it said that the driver is up to date but not find any volume. My question is is this drive is accessible in anyway, I mean it's some kind of driver problems or it is a faulty drive. This is my backup drive and the data is  important. I never drop or crash or slam it some one said that its with the reader in the drive fell off its position or does not store correctly. I now stop using this drive to prevent damaging it, what should  I do next. by the way its seem to heat up very fast and some one said that it relate to not enough power to the drive. I try with another computer but no good. 

Thank you a lot.               

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tiempo

Tiempo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:19 AM

Hello Pond511, 

Based on my experience, tik2x sounds sometimes due to lack of power to run the HDD. Anyhow, I would suggest to;

• Re-install your WD passport driver.
  • Try to plug your WD Passport, at the back of your PC or in the built-in USB port.
  • Still didn't work? Change your WD passport cable ( if you have a sphere or borrow from friend).

If the above suggestions didn't solve your issue follow below;

• Please download "portable crystal disk info" (just google it ).
  • Hook your WD Passport in your PC.
  • Run the "crystal disk info"
  • Read the pop-up window information. 
  • If your hard disk is having a problem, you should see a "caution warning" together with your HDD temperature. When that happens, PartedMagic maybe one of your best bet.

Edited by Tiempo, 25 June 2015 - 08:20 AM.

#3 pond511

pond511
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:22 AM

Sorry for late reply Tiempo. After few trying , today I just found my solution, I change my cable as you suggested and it's appear that the problem is somehow connected with my cable because when I try using another connecting cable the hard disk seems to working normally.  

Thank you  for your help 

#4 Tiempo

Tiempo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:13 PM

Hello Pond511,

You are always welcome here at BleepingComputer. I am glad that you solved your problem now. Please don't hesitate to ask question if you encounter any computer problems in the future. We are here, trying to help each and everyone solved their computer and virus problems....Thank you also for trusting BleepingComputer......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users