Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I tell, if my computer has an infection?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 computercat11O

computercat11O

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:25 AM

Hi, I am a new member.  It has been suggested to me that my computer might have an infection, although I believe that everything is running alright.   I also run spyware and virus checkers.   I suppose I will have to run some of the cleaning tools.   computercat11O

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2015 - 05:28 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:34 AM

Hello  :hello: ,

Do you have some problems? Who said to you that you are infected?

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

#3 computercat11O

computercat11O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:45 AM

Hi,  when I asked a question on a Forum, I was told that there might be an infection on my computer.  I really have no problems and everything seems to be running fine.   I feel a bit uneasy to just ignore a potention infection and I was thinking I might run some of the antimalware tools to be safe, but   I feel a bit reluctant, because they sometimes also cause problems.  Computercat11O

#4 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:54 AM

when I asked a question on a Forum

What was the question about? We can do a check if you have time. 

#5 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:43 AM

it is easy to tell if it runs slow and performs unauthorized commands. Also, missing files and files are now unable to open or perform basic functions. Thats called an infested system :)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

Usually when a computer is infected with malware there most likely will be other obvious indications (signs of infection) that something is wrong.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 computercat11O

computercat11O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:15 AM

Hi Severac, Malynensi and Bleepin' Janitor,   I do not have any obvious  signs of infection nor does my computer run slow or erratic. I also do not get popups, etc.   Thanks for all the information.  I have now run TDSSKiller (zero problems), Malwarebytes (no problems), RKill which found no problems, but I noticed statement: %Temp% Folder is set to C:\Windows\TEMP, which could be dangerous.   How can I fix this problem????

AdwCleaner only  found SWDUM, which I cleaned, but it belongs to Speedybit, which I noticed too late.  I also used Flush DNS.  I further ran the Malicious Software Tool and Windows Live Essentials.  Should I do anything else?  I regularly delete extra Restore Points and I also use the DiskCleaner as well as CCleaner.  Thanks for all your comments and helpful hints.  Computercat11O

#8 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:22 AM

Hello,

According to your post, I think your PC is clean and there is no need for extra check.

Just to do some junk removal, if any.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

§  Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.

§  Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".

§  The tool will open and start scanning your system.

§  Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

§  On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.

§  Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

----

Empty your temp folders using TFC (Temporary File Cleaner)

§  Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link

§  Save any unsaved work. (TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!)

§  Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. (If you are using Vista or above, right-click on the file and choose "Run As Administrator".)

§  Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.

§  Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway allowing Windows to load normally (not into Safe Mode) to ensure a complete clean.

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:25 AM

To repair the path to %TEMP%, run this.

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair All-In-One (Portable)

- Download Windows Repair All-In-One (Portable Version) from here.

- Extract tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip to your Desktop.

- Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that here.
- Right click on QfBzvq1.png and select Run as Administrator (XP users just double click) to start Windows Repair All-In-One.
(Windows Vista/7/8 users: Accept UAC warning if it is enabled.)

- A window will appear. Click Step 2.
2f8o60N.png

- Click the Open Pre-Scan button, then click Start Scan. Wait for Windows Repair to finish scanning.

- Click Repair Environment Variable. When the button changes to "Done!", click the close button to return to Windows Repair. You can close Windows Repair All-In-One at this point.

After repairs are complete you can delete the Windows Repair All-In-One folder.

Regards,
Alex

#10 computercat11O

computercat11O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 03:39 AM

Hi Severac and Alex,   I have meanwhile run the JRT and also the removal tool for temp. files.  It all went well.   Nothing really showed any infections or anything unusual.  I will try to run the Windows Repair as well, however, I am wondering, whether it would be left to me to find good files, if any are missing.  Would the tool install them or would I have to do it.  Thanks again for all the help.  Computercat

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:31 AM

Edit: Repair Environment Variables is just some registry modifications, so no files are involved. You do not need to do anything.

Edited by Alexstrasza, 28 June 2015 - 06:31 AM.

#12 computercat11O

computercat11O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:29 AM

Hi Alex,  the above tweaking tool suggests a pre-scan and also to manually replace files.   I am still not sure, whether I would be able to find good ones.  Thanks for your help. Computercat

#13 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:37 AM

If sfc /scannow found corrupt files it cannot replace then you will have to open a new topic in the Windows 7 area with the log from the System File Checker. Someone will be able to help you with the issue.

#14 computercat11O

computercat11O
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:17 AM

Hi Alex, thanks for the reply.  I ran sfc /SCANNOW yesterday and it found no integrity violations.  So this part should be o.k.  Computercat

#15 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:02 AM

If Repair Environment Variable is successful and sfc /scannow did not report any problems then you should be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users