Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swapping hard drives in Laptops

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 crkelle

crkelle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:37 PM

I have two identical Lenovo b570 laptops. Both have problems.

One is physically damaged where the top portion is broken off, the bezel is broken, and the LCD screen is bad. But the hard drive, motherboard, and the rest of the computer work just fine if I plug it into a monitor. Performance is good too. First, where is the best place to order parts to repair it? Amazon, newegg, or elsewhere? 

On the second laptop, the hard drive crashed, and information is not recoverable per the good folks at Geek squad. They did mention that Lenovo might be able to recover information. There was nothing important on it, so that is not necessary. However, the key for windows is rubbed off. I think I saved the boxes, and would need to check. But assuming the worst, and I don't have a key, there are a few things I am thinking about. First, I could replace the hard drive, and get a new operating system. In that case, I can fork over a bunch of cash for Windows, or I can go with open source. However, my experience with open source is with Ubantu, and that was limited, because shortly after I started to use it, the video card went bad on that computer. I did like it though. The other option would be to take both computers and make one by taking the hard drive from one, and putting it into the other. The geek squad person was not sure if that would work or not. The other option is to take the bezel, cover, and LCD off the computer with the bad HD, and put them onto the broken computer with the good HD. 

I'm leaning towards taking the hard drive out of one computer, and putting it into the other computer, then letting the other computer sit until I have parts to repair it and install ubantu. I'm looking for opinions and who has any experience with swapping out hard drives. My concern would be if I swap out hard drive, if that copy of windows would work on another computer or not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:07 AM

If the systems are identical...there should be no problem with moving a hard drive from A to B.

The hard drive contains Windows and all file data, including drivers.  To be of any value, the hard drive must properly recognize the components of a different system.  If they are identical, either hard drive should be able to be easily switched to the other system.  The system components don't care which version of Windows is installed...Windows cares that the components reflected on the hard drive are the same components recognized at boot.

Louis

#3 crkelle

crkelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

Thanks, that worked perfect! I swapped hard drives and it works just great! Now I at least have one good computer out of the two! Where is the best place to buy parts from? The last time I did this, I bought parts off of Ebay, and that was not a poor experience. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:20 AM

Even if they are the same motherboards the chances that they are identical are very slim. 

With Windows 7 and 8.1 you can generalize the drive, this removes the identifiers which Windows recognizes at startup.

If you run sysprep on the HHD/SSD with Windows 7 or 8.1 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the HDD/SSD, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown.

Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.

Note: You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.

Edited by dc3, 14 July 2015 - 08:21 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ltendayte

ltendayte

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

agree,You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.7.gif

Edited by ltendayte, 14 July 2015 - 08:12 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:29 AM

I find that Amazon, Tiger Direct, and (to a lesser extent) Newegg are good component sources.

Amazon has the widest reach, IMO, while Newegg seems to have more narrow sectors of components available...just my impression.  Any one would do for a hard drive with a 3-year warranty.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users