Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Steam client not working right

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:16 PM

I just installed steam client on my Debian computer (my Windows machine is on the fritz). When I attempt to start the Steam client, all it does is access my account information, look for updates, say something about updating info, and repeat ad infinitum. At no point am I able to install or play any of my games.

I don't know how to do a screen capture in Linux, here is a picture I took of terminal window I ran steam from. Anyone have a clue of how I can get it going?

WP_20150624_21_33_21_Pro.jpg?dl=0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:27 AM

try uninstalling steam and then Re installing . it may just be it didnt get everything right .

Edited by shadow-warrior, 25 June 2015 - 07:31 AM.

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:17 AM

already tried that

#4 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:00 PM

there was issues with people installing Steam from Ubuntus PPa  but Debian has its own....though wheter its the same for stable and testing repos  i don't know..

also there was issues with drivers with AMD systems where you needed to reinstall your drivers after installing steam ?????

have a read of this Wiki and see if anything can help https://wiki.debian.org/Steam  maybe you need to do something else...

I don't use debian  generally or steam...

It would be useful for the other forum members if you could post details of your system..i.e Kernel , amd / nvidia, etc etc....

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:33 PM

CPU: AMD Sempron Palermo

GPU: NVIDIA 6200 (I think, bought it a while ago)

The Wiki you linked to is what I followed, except I had to delete my xorg.conf.d file - after making it in the first place - because when I rebooted, I had no GUI and was operating from a prompt.

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:09 AM

An update: I managed to resolve this issue merely by installing a different version of Linux - Ubuntu 15.04, installing the Steam client (which doesn't seem to be in the repository according to Unity's graphical software handler, but apt will install it), updating Nvidia drivers so that Steam Client's interface becomes a visible thing you can interact with, and installing a new desktop because the latest Nvidia drivers for my card breaks the functionality of Unity desktop (Linux is such crap).

It only took me all evening to do this, and I now have a functioning Ubuntu machine with both a working Mate desktop and access to all 3 of my Steam games that work in Linux OS.

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:49 AM

and installing a new desktop because the latest Nvidia drivers for my card breaks the functionality of Unity desktop (Nvidia is such crap).

There I fixed your spelling mistake (Linux to 'Nvidia').

Nvidia drivers are in no way a fault of Linux. Nvidia is notorious for not making very good Linux drivers, or caring all that much about Linux. There is in fact a video of Linux Torvold giving Nvidia the finger because they suck so bad at working with Linux and improving their drivers for their hardware.

Mate is a good desktop interface anyway, so its not all bad that you had to switch to that. Once the next version of Nvidia drivers comes out give that a try and see if it fixes the problem with Unity, it might.

Saying that, glad you got steam working. I personally haven't had that much problems running it on Linux. Typically a quick 'apt-get install steam' does the trick and I can get into the GUI application. Of course running some of the games is usually the challenging part since not all work all that well yet.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users