Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jlark92

jlark92

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:44 PM

Pretty easy problem to explain. Games crash my computer after a while. Heavy graphics requirement games (witcher 3) only take 5 minutes and low graphics games (csgo) take longer (happened after a few hours). I logged temperature of gpu and cpu cores, sampling every 2 seconds while playing witcher 3. Gpu temps were in the mid 60's C and CPU temps were in the mid 40s, which are all well within their ratings. Not sure what's causing this. At the crash, I just see vertical lines running down the screen of alternating color. Sound freezes and replays indefinitely over a short interval. No error message given. Drivers are up to date, says amd control center.

Specs

GPU - AMD r9 290

CPU - intel i5 4670k

OS - Windows 7

Mobo - Gigabyte H81M-HD3

PSU - Corsair 750W

8gb ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:15 PM

Welcome to the Community of Bleeping Computer jlark92. :welcome:

Do you happen to have set overclocking? I would also think of a heating problem along with a possibly hardware or video graphics as the culprit.

Tekken

#3 jlark92

jlark92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:17 PM

No overclocking. Heat never rose above 67C

#4 vishwa

vishwa

• Banned Spammer
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:24 PM

Did your PC has latest version of direct x, .NET Framework, C++ Redistributable installed? Sometimes these can cause game crashes.

#5 jlark92

jlark92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:25 PM

Would it cause the entire machine to crash? And how do I check for those?

#6 vishwa

vishwa

• Banned Spammer
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:28 PM

These updates are coming along with Windows update. Make sure that you have enabled "installed update automatically" for your PC.

#7 jlark92

jlark92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:29 PM

My pc isn't authenticated and doesn't auto update (stupid cd key). Alternative?

#8 vishwa

vishwa

• Banned Spammer
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:31 PM

Browse through the windows site at windows.com you will able to download these updates free in their download section.

#9 jlark92

jlark92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:32 PM

Great, I'll give it a try. If it matters, I've done more tests and apparently my machine doesn't crash as long as the games are running in windowed mode on slightly less resolution.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:02 PM

You need to turn on auto updates (recommended) by Control Panel if you have a newly install operating system. Type dxdiag by Start - Search box and look on System tab for the DirectX version.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users