Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Parted Magic CD doesn't work either :((((((((

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:40 PM

ROM whirls around, light flashes etc... lone cursor blinks away (hopefully) in the top left hand of the

dark screen, and then

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause".....

blah blah blah

and the boringly familiar choice of

"Launch Startup Repair (recommended)"....

or

"Start Windows Normally"....

I'm SOOOO disappointed, John!! had the instructions all ready now I'm at a loss and head exploding!

DESPERATE isn't a strong enough word.... :(  :( :(  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:47 PM

How did you get this. Did you reboot the computer? Is this the Windows 8 computer that is failing to start? Select Start Windows Normally. 

#3 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:38 AM

Crikey no!!!! 

I put the cd into the vista machine after selecting F12... remember?

then choosing 3. CD/DVD in the boot manager and enter.....

I thought this was for the 'corrupt' computer... the Vista!  had the 8.1 open on the 'how to tab' for parted magic use, and 16Gb usb all ready, but alas... got only what I described above...:(((

Thought to mention, my new 8.1 doesn't even HAVE 'F' keys! ?? how weird is that???

You have trouble sleeping, also?? lol... know I do at times like this...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:37 AM

How did you burn the Parted Magic iso? When you look on the disk after the burn it should have a number of files on it, not just one. It's possible that the optical drive on the Vista computer is not reading he CD. When booting the disk on the Vista computer do not attach the flash drive. Do that after the Vista computer boots the Parted Magic disk to the Parted Magic disk desktop.

#5 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:15 PM

JOHN!!!!   IT'S RUNNING NOW!!!!

If I posted what 'happened' here, you'd think I was a screw loose!!!

(Gremlins in this place, methinks)

Anyway, it's at

"Copying files to RAM.........................................................................................................................

OH WOW!!!  This is a whole new experience!!

The disc has ejected, and the program has loaded!!! I've got the timezone config in the centre....

Have now set to Australia/Adelaide

In the top right there's a changing block of info... starting with Hostname; partedmagic, Linux Kernel: 3.10.4-pmagic

etc etc.... would take me forever the copy that while I type on here....but I'm confident you know what I mean..

At the end of all this info there's a broken line, with "System Uptime: 0h  12m 39s

In that 'bunch' of info, it notes my CPU history, (empty box), usage, (2%) RAM Usage (2%), Avail RAM 3.82

and of course the battery time, which of course if 'full' as it's powered!

Do I need to take note of any of the info under that?? in the Processes 106  Running 1 etc...

then the "Top 5 sorted by CPU usage"

They keep changing names too...  parcellite, conky, sleep, Xorg....

top 5 by MEM stay the same....

Other than that, it looks like a desktop running a different operating system!!! 

This would HAVE to top a helicopter ride!! LOL!!!

Now I need to have a look at my (still) saved 'how to use'....

OOOPS!!! should have looked at that 1st, but wanted to keep YOU informed...

Will be back with my results asap.....

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:24 PM

Don't worry about any of that info on the desktop. You only need to click the File Manager. Attach your flash drive and then mount it as explained in the guide I linked to in my previous post.

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

Copy, not move, the files. You can do that by right clicking and selecting copy or I believe you can also window around multiple files and then right click - copy. Then browse to your USB flash drive (It will probably be labeled as sdb1) and right click - paste. If I can remember Parted Magic has a tabbed file manager. You will see you previous location as tabs in the window.

Edit: After the file copy open some of the files up on your Windows computer to make sure they are not corrupted. Once you make sure all your files are copied, we can reset the computer back to factory condition if you still have the recovery partition.

Edit Edit: I forgot to mention that you need to unmount the sdb flash drive before you remove it. Simply click on the unmount button of sdb to unmount it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 June 2015 - 04:38 PM.

#7 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

Don't worry about any of that info on the desktop. You only need to click the File Manager. Attach your flash drive and then mount it as explained in the guide I linked to in my previous post.

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

Copy, not move, the files. You can do that by right clicking and selecting copy or I believe you can also window around multiple files and then right click - copy. Then browse to your USB flash drive (It will probably be labeled as sdb1) and right click - paste. If I can remember Parted Magic has a tabbed file manager. You will see you previous location as tabs in the window.

Edit: After the file copy open some of the files up on your Windows computer to make sure they are not corrupted. Once you make sure all your files are copied, we can reset the computer back to factory condition if you still have the recovery partition.

Edit Edit: I forgot to mention that you need to unmount the sdb flash drive before you remove it. Simply click on the unmount button of sdb to unmount it.

When I clicked the 'mount devices' button, there's only 1 window called "Parted Magic Mount" there are 3 drives..

sda1 ntfs 1.5G 

sda2 ntfs 286.7G

sda3 ntfs 10G

the usb sdb1 fat32 14.9G

They were all green buttons, so had to select the sda1 and sda3 which "unmounted" them, is that right??? so the only 2 mounted are the 'bad' drive and usb....

The instructions on that site show totally different pics... and file manager won't open... when I right click, and select open, another list opens but in the file manager list, under 'open' there's new, open terminal here show hidden files, then the usual edit, cut, copy, (paste is n/a) rename, delete, devices, arrange icons desktop settings 

I have NO IDEA what to do now, John :((((

I might just add, that each of the icons on the desktop, react in the same way... right click, list up, top of list is "open" which simply offers an added list....

#8 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:21 PM

ahhh  now wait a sec....

the Unmounted drives have the ability to 'open the file manger'...???? I don't get it!

What am I missing here...? SOO frustrating!

I've just opened the sda3 10G and can see BIN BOOT etc files... (other stuff I don't recognise)

but according the link instructions, it's the MOUNTED drives that I should be able to open, yes???

#9 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:26 PM

Just tried but  NEITHER the USB or sda2 will "unmount"....

this is annoying me, as I feel I'm missing something.....

#10 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

I've got the mount screen back to the way it was....

all green mount buttons... tried "unmounting" usb and bad drive, the mount window flashes off, and returns with the same

green mount buttons!!!!!!!

The only 2 that will unmount are the 2 I don't NEED... there must be SOMETHING I'm missing here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feeling super ignorant atm!!!!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

sda3 is probably your recovery partition and your sda1 is probably some proprietary partition that starts the recovery partition.

So when you see the green buttons marked mount you clicked on the button to mount the drives, correct? Then the mount button turned to unmount. When you see a green button marked mount that means the drive is no longer mounted. When you see the button marked red that means the drive is mounted.

To unmount the USB flash drive, close the file manager and click the button marked unmount. Does that work? Have you copied any files to the flash drive.

The drives will automatically unmount when you shut down the computer using the Parted Magic shutdown button. You can do that also and not worry about corruption.

Have you copied over any files?

#12 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:45 PM

Just read the instruction link for the 50th time and

"You want to click the green MOUNT button next to the bad drive and the drive that you want to copy to. "

they WONT change from green (mount) to red!!! (unmount) in other words, they WONT MOUNT!!! yes?

isn't that kind of odd?   yet the other 2 that I DON'T want to use, WILL mount!!???

I could understand the "logic" here, if only the Hdd didn't mount... (given it may be corrupt) but the usb is dippy dandy!!!

So from that 'process of elimination' it's something else.... but WHAT???

OH JOHN!!! Hello!!! was just about to post this and saw the notification of your post!

NO!! the 2 drives ie the sda2 and sdb1 WONT MOUNT!!

the window disappears, like it should, but returns with green buttons....it's SOOO frustrating!!

#13 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

sda3 is probably your recovery partition and your sda1 is probably some proprietary partition that starts the recovery partition.

So when you see the green buttons marked mount you clicked on the button to mount the drives, correct? Then the mount button turned to unmount. When you see a green button marked mount that means the drive is no longer mounted. When you see the button marked red that means the drive is mounted.

To unmount the USB flash drive, close the file manager and click the button marked unmount. Does that work? Have you copied any files to the flash drive.

The drives will automatically unmount when you shut down the computer using the Parted Magic shutdown button. You can do that also and not worry about corruption.

Have you copied over any files?

Yep! figured that about the other drives...

Yes! I click on the button to mount the drives!!

then NO! the mount buttons will NOT turn to unmount... THAT is the point!!!

ONLY the sda1 and sda3 will!!????   Scratching my head here!!!  

I've figured out how to unmount etc... as did it with 1 and 3...

Nothing copied to the flash usb... IT won't mount either!!!???

#14 OliviaITlover

OliviaITlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:53 PM

so.... to ensure I've explained it all clearly....

have got the Parted Magic Mount window open...

all drives listed...and 4 green mount light...

(cd n/a)

I click the sda2... window flashes for a while and returns with no change!

same with the sdb 1.....

if I click the sda1 or sda3 THEY will mount! :killcomp:

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

Well that is not good. It's possible you have some file system corruption on that partition. The drives should mount. Open the file manager at the upper left of the desktop and in the left pane click on sda2 can you see your files? Also if you click on sdb1 which should be your flash drive does the windows open?

One thing to try is to click on the disk health icon. Click on your hard drive and look under the attributes tab. Are there any pink or red rows.

If you are still having trouble then I would recommend you remove the drive and put it into a USB enclosure. Then attach the enclosure to your XP or Windows 8 computer.

If you want to try another rescue disk there is this one that is based on XP. You would download the iso and burn it to a CD as you did parted magic.

Edit: Try another USB port on your Vista laptop for the USB flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 June 2015 - 06:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users