Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC stuck on boot screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhunter

thrillhunter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:05 PM

Often when I boot my PC it will stay on the boot screen, where it says 'Gigabyte' the name and model of my motherboard and where I can access settings, instead of booting windows. 

When this happens neither my keyboard or mouse LEDS light up nor do they function, so I can't access the bios or boot options etc... Normally when I restart my pc using the reset button on my pc, it will then work, and boot to windows, and both the keyboard and mouse will function again.

Does anyone know what is causing this and/or how I can fix it?

Appreciate any help!

Sami

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:52 PM

Welcome to the Bleeping Computer Community thrillhunter :welcome:

Can you post the computer model next time please? Post of any changes to hardware if there is any. How old is the machine and is it updated specifically the BIOS firmware version as this problem could also either be (initially) a loose/faulty hardware component, low CMOS battery voltage making or not retaining the selected or default BIOS settings, power supply, hard drive, etc.

Tekken

#3 thrillhunter

thrillhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:19 PM

Welcome to the Bleeping Computer Community thrillhunter :welcome:

Can you post the computer model next time please? Post of any changes to hardware if there is any. How old is the machine and is it updated specifically the BIOS firmware version as this problem could also either be (initially) a loose/faulty hardware component, low CMOS battery voltage making or not retaining the selected or default BIOS settings, power supply, hard drive, etc

Hi and thank you for the welcome :)

My machine is about 2 years old and I built it myself. 

CPU: intel haswell 4670k (not overclocked)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb sticks ddr3 1600hz

PSU: Corsair HX750

GPU: Sapphire R280X

SSD:samsung 840 EVO 250gb

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H

I have windows updates set to automatic, haven't updated my BIOS firmware unless windows does it automatically so I'll check that now.

EDIT** My bios version is: F3, 16/04/2013   ~ on the gigabyte website, there are newer versions although it has a warning about updating the bios potentially bricking my pc. :(

Edited by thrillhunter, 24 June 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:42 PM

In any case, please run the following also :

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

- Samsung SSD firmware should also be up to date.

- Go to your BIOS menu and check the currently installed BIOS firmware version and post the result. This would verify after checking that neither is causing the freezing issue on the software part.

Tekken

#5 thrillhunter

thrillhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:15 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0HoVLREzmn5ecYGNyaQ00sw

SSD firmware is up to date.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:20 AM

Ok, there are some significant readings from Speccy report that might be contributing to your booting problems. We need to confirm and check the voltage output directly from your BIOS menu.

Voltage

CPU CORE: 0.336 V

MEMORY CONTROLLER: 2.028 V

+3.3V: 2.016 V

+5V: 3.427 V

-12V: (7.056) V

-5V: (6.000) V

+5V HIGH THRESHOLD: 2.843 V

CMOS BATTERY: 1.620 V

The CMOS battery is way low to be able to work and retain hardware configurations in BIOS. Replace a fresh new one then set everything to your preferred or as default. Double check your voltage output for the +12 and +5 V and compare them or post the readings.

EDIT** My bios version is: F3, 16/04/2013   ~ on the gigabyte website, there are newer versions although it has a warning about updating the bios potentially bricking my pc. :(

You were referring to this? We would skip that for the meantime but if ever it comes to having no more options left, you should proceed with the firmware update as the fixes by details shows enhanced and support for your current CPU. There should be an online instruction or manual in order for you to be able to update the BIOS without worrying the Warning while doing this procedure.

Tekken

#7 thrillhunter

thrillhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:01 AM

Ok, there are some significant readings from Speccy report that might be contributing to your booting problems. We need to confirm and check the voltage output directly from your BIOS menu.

Voltage

CPU CORE: 0.336 V

MEMORY CONTROLLER: 2.028 V

+3.3V: 2.016 V

+5V: 3.427 V

-12V: (7.056) V

-5V: (6.000) V

+5V HIGH THRESHOLD: 2.843 V

CMOS BATTERY: 1.620 V

The CMOS battery is way low to be able to work and retain hardware configurations in BIOS. Replace a fresh new one then set everything to your preferred or as default. Double check your voltage output for the +12 and +5 V and compare them or post the readings.

What voltage should the CMOS battery be at? I'm not sure what you mean by the last part, checking the voltage outputs for +12 and +5V?

#8 thrillhunter

thrillhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:08 AM

In the bios under system status it has +5V with 5.100V underneath and +12V 12.024V if that's what I'm meant to check?

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:23 AM

Just my 2¢:

Voltage of the CMOS battery is supposed to be 3 volts:  http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/cr2032.pdf

What he means about checking the voltage is that you should go into the BIOS and see what readings (for the power) are there.

It appears that's what you've checked in the BIOS - wait for jhayz to reply as I'm not real good with this stuff.

Flashing the BIOS is dangerous because of 2 things:

- user mistakes

- interruptions

Either one of these can result in the flash not being completed properly.

The use of programs that update the BIOS while in Windows (actually they do all the prep in Windows, and then auto flash when you reboot) have reduced the risk significantly.

This is so significant that I routinely advise people to update their BIOS from within Windows.

BUT!!!  Your system freezes on the BIOS splash screen - so that is a concern.  What if it freezes while the flash is going on?  I don't know if the flash mechanism has enough "intelligence" to survive an interrupted flash. :(

The question here is why the system freezes on the splash screen.

You'll either fix the freeze and then continue with the flash

Or you'll take a chance that the system will do the flash properly despite the freezing (or that it'll skip the freezing when you try the flash).

Replace the CMOS battery.  They're cheap and are used in many different devices around the house.

Edited by usasma, 25 June 2015 - 06:24 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 thrillhunter

thrillhunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:47 AM

I have just replaced the CMOS battery on the motherboard, and so far, after around 4 restarts, haven't been stuck on the boot screen. 
One thing I didn't mention before, which I'm not sure whether its a related problem, is that when I play games, I frequently crash. The screen has stripes going down vertically, in the colour of whatever game I was playing.
I had this same crash about 5 minutes ago, whilst playing borderlands, and after rebooting, the screen went black for a while. I waited for a bit and afterwards it went blue with tears in it. I waited for a bit longer and eventually (less than a minute) the screen went dark again and went to my desktop, seemingly 'normal' again.

I have checked my gpu is up to date. So I'm really not sure as to what to do now :S

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:56 AM

Check the GPU cooler and fan.  Make sure it's free of dirt/dust/hairballs/etc

Also, monitor your system's temperatures with this free tool:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Also, let's start with this report to see what we can find:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users