Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On same network: Super fast download on one PC, slow on another

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:58 PM

In my house, we have a laptop and a desktop i built (the latter is mine), which are basically the only devices that ever run on the network (aside from a low-traffic web server). Speedtest.net revealed the laptop to be downloading at a rate of about 5mbps (ok), and the desktop about 0.5 mbps (what??). Both computers are connected to the network wirelessly, the laptop with built in hardware and my desktop with a 150mbps Wi-fi dongle. I am not sure if this is a result of a bad dongle (my computer connects and disconnects a lot) or the network. Also, connecting the desktop via Ethernet is not a possibility. 

I really started to notice this when a friend came on to my Minecraft server (hosted on my desktop) and said his connection was timing out (I port forwarded and gave him the correct public IP). But that is not my main concern, since I saw his player on my server. 

Would this  improve the connectivity?

One last thing, both PC's are quite similar in terms of other hardware.

Laptop Specs:

Windows 8.1

Intel Core i5 4210m 2.8 GHz

8 GB RAM

Intel HD 4600 Graphics

Desktop specs:

Windows 7

Intel Core i5 4440 3.1 GHz (quad core)

8 GB RAM

EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked

Thanks for your time!

Edited by gigapouch, 24 June 2015 - 07:05 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:13 PM

How far are they from the router or access point?  Distance plays a part in wireless speeds.

Looking at the one star reviews you may have a bad wireless dongle.

#3 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:14 PM

How far are they from the router or access point?  Distance plays a part in wireless speeds.

Looking at the one star reviews you may have a bad wireless dongle.

I think that the desktop is actually a bit closer than the laptop, but it's hard to say for sure.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:23 PM

I have that TP-Link dongle and mine is fine. I'd go into Device Manager, uninstall the dongle and then reboot. Just click Uninstall and OK, DO NOT check the box. See if that helps.

Edit: What is the make and model of the router? What is the built in wireless card on the laptop?

Edited by CaveDweller2, 24 June 2015 - 07:25 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:24 PM

I have that TP-Link dongle and mine is fine. I'd go into Device Manager, uninstall the dongle and then reboot. Just click Uninstall and OK, DO NOT check the box. See if that helps.

And then reinstall the driver?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

Right click, click Uninstall, click OK and then reboot the PC. It will do the rest. And I edited my other post, please answer that question as well, after you reboot and check your speed.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

The model does not show up on the vendor's website but the router is a Netgear B90-755025-15.

2 wireless cards actually appear in Device Manager on the laptop:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

and

Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

I will now reboot.

Edited by gigapouch, 24 June 2015 - 07:31 PM.

#8 phild0tcom

phild0tcom

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:35 PM

The model does not show up on the vendor's website but the router is a Netgear B90-755025-15.

2 wireless cards actually appear in Device Manager on the laptop:

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

and

Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

I will now reboot.

The PCI-E Gigabit is the adapter you plug the ethernet cable into.  The Wireless-AC is the wireless card. :)

I would try changing the channel the wireless is running on in the router since you're getting dropouts on the desktop, this is sometimes concurrent with radio interference.

#9 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

Thanks everyone! A speed test now shows I get a download speed of 3 mbps now, although my upload speed hasn't improved.

EDIT: My router homepage says I'm supposed to get 6016 kbps download speed (about 5.8 mbps).

Edited by gigapouch, 24 June 2015 - 07:42 PM.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

as long as you are close to what you pay for, then good deal =)

#11 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:27 PM

nvm

Edited by gigapouch, 25 June 2015 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users