Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System clock keeps changing by 1 hour

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:13 PM

This is really no more than a minor nuisance, but my system clock reverts from 'Summer time' to 'Winter time' every time I boot. I live in the UK which I believe is the home of 'Summer time' invented during WW1, but.

Win 7 HP 64 bit, ASUS mobo, 4GB RAM, desktop

Going into clock settings, the date is correct, the time zone is correct (UTC, London, Dublin, etc.), it tells me Summer time will end at the end of October and that it will notify me when it changes. I can change the time to the correct one, the next time I boot into Windows it has gone back again. Oddly, this doesn't seem to happen in Linux. If I boot into Linux the clock doesn't change, but does when I boot back into Windows. If it is of any relevance I also run FLux but the location set there is correct, in fact it was this that led me to look at the clock.

The CMOS battery is obviously the first thought, but this one is fairly new.It's been installed for about a year. Any other ideas ?

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:38 PM

I'd suspect some damaged file...ruling out the CMOS battery, if there is a divergence between what Windows shows and what's reflected in BIOS.

I've never gone into exactly how the Windows time synch process works, but it seems apparent that the CMOS clock can be adjusted from within Windows.  So, I would run chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow and hope for the best.

FWIW .

Louis

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

Ah well !  The clock in BIOS was set one hour slow and has been corrected. Scannow and Chkdsk didn't show up any problems and I really got a lot of work done on an old laptop I am cleaning up for an acquaintance as well as having my lunch and a snooze while Chkdsk was running.

At the moment the clock is showing the correct time - I will see if this continues tomorrow morning when I come back to this machine, hopefully to get some real work done. It's not a problem that is causing sleepless nights, more a nuisance but I would like to fix it.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 NatalieGreen

NatalieGreen

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:27 AM

Mod Edit:  Removed copied content from http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-reasons-windows-computer-loses-time-date/ - Hamluis.

Please...rather than copy content posted by someone else at a different website...and appear to be claiming such as your own...just post the link to such content.

Edited by hamluis, 26 June 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

It appears that the clock setting in BIOS was at the root of this problem. Since I corrected it the correct time has survived through about 4 start ups. It will be interesting to see come the 25th October if the clock in BIOS reverts to 'Winter' time or not. Of course, if it doesn't, I will find the task bar clock jumping forward one hour !

As I said, a minor nuisance at best, but nice to find a cause for it.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users