Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor shuts down while PC is on and running

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lmajno

lmajno

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

Never happened before. PC is running, monitor just shuts off while computer is running, and severs contact with computer, and says that there is no connection to it, meanwhile, PC is idle. I tried to reboot, I tried safe mode, and also I just started a virus scan and shut the monitor off myself. don't know if that will help... and ideas or suggestions? Windows 7, built specifically for me 2+ years ago.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:55 PM

Did the monitor actually shut off...or did the monitor stop receiving graphics input from the systems?  Those are two different situations.

Louis

#3 lmajno

lmajno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

thanks for the reply... It went fron on (normal) with the blue light under the monitor to orange, black screen saying 'no input'

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

Did you try booting into safe mode?

if there is no signal...how is it that you state that you tried safe mode, ran an AV scan, etc?

Louis

#5 lmajno

lmajno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

Exactly what I did... Reboot, and tried safe mode... Shut off again... Started it again, this time was able to do a short scan, and I manually shut off the monitor to see if that would help... Not sure if it did, but scan says no problem, clean return, and computer was fine this time... Haven't started it up since...wanted to hear from you first...

#6 lmajno

lmajno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:53 PM

Checked cables as well, all is tight.., What I did notice, was that it feels like a power interruption when the monitor goes out... But it shows the screensaver saying 'no signal', and computer stays idle...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

Well...that could be a hardware problem.  If no signal is being sent...then the monitor should display "no signal".

In any case, I would try a different monitor/cable combination...any relative, friend, coworker, neighbor, etc. with a desktop system will do.  Test should take only a few minutes.

Louis

#8 lmajno

lmajno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:16 AM

Dear hamluis... Guess what?  I was able to find the person who built the PC from scratch for me, and he suggested to go and look at the PC physically... Is there dust?  Are the fans working?  Sounded to him like an 'overheating' problem, in which the PC stops sending info to the monitor and shuts down... Sure enough... Dust everywhere, the fan had fallen from the socket, full of dust... Got out the vaccuum cleaner, got some pressurized air, and now it is working fine, and FASTER than before... Just thought you should know, first of all, to thank you for your help, and also to pass this on to others if need be...CHEERS...

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

Glad you resolved it :), happy computing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users